Removing Labels - Help

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

Removing Labels - Help

#1 Post by Nola Palomar » July 8th, 2019, 4:33 am

newhere My bottling / labeling line needs new optical sensors and they are ordered but I have several dozen bottles that the labeler put 3 or more labels and back labels on the bottle. Is there a foolproof way to remove the labels completely so I can run them through the labeler again? [thankyou.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Brian Ojalvo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Removing Labels - Help

#2 Post by Brian Ojalvo » July 8th, 2019, 11:59 pm

I've done this many times unfortunately. Simply soak the bottles in cool/cold water. Use a half ton picking bin and stand bottles upright inside. Fill with water enough to just cover above the label. Let sit for 15 min to a half hour and peel label/s off. Dry bottle and re label. Time consuming but effective. Good luck.
West of Temperance Winery

Ben M a n d l e r

#3 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » July 10th, 2019, 9:40 pm

If the labels are fresh then Brian's suggestion should work easy enough. If you need an assist you can add some sodium carbonate, which will help with the glue. If you're using peroxy in the winery then I'd guess that could work, too, though I've not tried it myself.
ITB...or at least on my way...

Victor Hong

#4 Post by Victor Hong » July 11th, 2019, 2:43 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 4:33 am
newhere My bottling / labeling line needs new optical sensors and they are ordered but I have several dozen bottles that the labeler put 3 or more labels and back labels on the bottle. Is there a foolproof way to remove the labels completely so I can run them through the labeler again? [thankyou.gif]
Wax job at the local beauty salon.
WineHunter.

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”