Old vines or old roots?

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Mark Mason

Old vines or old roots?

#1 Post by Mark Mason » May 28th, 2019, 4:30 pm

One of My ten year old vines didn’t make it through the winter. There is a new shoot coming up that I will train to be my primary trunk, but will the grapes be as good? I’ve heard the term old vines, but I hope they really mean old roots.
Hard water fisherman

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Old vines or old roots?

#2 Post by Brian Tuite » May 28th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Mark Mason wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:30 pm
One of My ten year old vines didn’t make it through the winter. There is a new shoot coming up that I will train to be my primary trunk, but will the grapes be as good? I’ve heard the term old vines, but I hope they really mean old roots.
If your vines were grafted you’ll end up with rootstock growing.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Brian Gilp

#3 Post by Brian Gilp » May 28th, 2019, 5:08 pm

If it’s rootstock, you will know soon enough. My rootstock, 101-14 and Riparian Gloria, have leaves that look nothing like the varieties grated to them.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Eric Lundblad » May 28th, 2019, 10:22 pm

You should ask folks in your area what's common to do...plant on rootstocks or plant on their own roots.

I planted a climbing rose in an important location...it died to the ground, but knowing it was on it's own roots, I just let it go (the next year) and, with some pruning & training the next year, I was back in no time.

This sort of thing might be a common approach where you are...grape vine survival has got to be hard in Wisconsin...but I'd talk to folks to find out first. Good Luck!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Mark Mason

#5 Post by Mark Mason » May 29th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I’m pretty sure they aren’t grafted, so I might be safe. BTW my little vineyard of Marquette grows on the same latitude as Chateau Margaux.
Hard water fisherman

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”