Wine fridge malfunction

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
StevenC

Wine fridge malfunction

#1 Post by StevenC » April 7th, 2019, 11:58 am

Need a little help. My Vinotemp has a problem and got down to low 30’s Fahrenheit. None of the wine was frozen, some had ice on the bottles. I removed everything and repaired the cooler. My question, will the wine be damaged? Should I worry about it?

Thanks.

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Wine fridge malfunction

#2 Post by B Thorne » April 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm

How long was it at that temp until you noticed it? How old are the wines? I'd say best option to be sure is to gradually bring up to normal storage temp, pop a bottle and check it.

Unfortunate situation.
B r i a n

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » April 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Cold will not hurt the wine. If the wine froze and the corks were pushed out then that’s another story but @ 30° it’s not going to freeze anyhow due to the alcohol. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it if it were mine.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Victor Hong

#4 Post by Victor Hong » April 7th, 2019, 3:36 pm

StevenC wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 11:58 am
Need a little help. My Vinotemp has a problem and got down to low 30’s Fahrenheit. None of the wine was frozen, some had ice on the bottles. I removed everything and repaired the cooler. My question, will the wine be damaged? Should I worry about it?

Thanks.
If this happened three years ago, Vinotemp would have sued you for this thread.
WineHunter.

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”