Pinot Noir Technical Tasting Today in Ukiah - Anyone attending?

Mendocino Winegrowers is hosting at Technical Tasting tonight at 6pm in Ukiah.

Any Berserkers attending?

I’ll be there presenting Humboldt Pinot to compare and contrast with the Mendo stuff, among others.

Apparently, the event is kind of full, but there are a few more spots…

$40/ Ukiah Valley Conference Center - 200 S School St, Ukiah, California 95482

If you are attending, please say hello. champagne.gif

See you there.

Great to meet you, Casey.

That was a pretty fun and interesting event.

Might be the most different pinots from different regions I have had in one sitting.

Took part in an event called DRT yesterday - Domestic Rhone Tech - here in SB County. 40 different wines from the 2018 Vintage from Paso, SLO and SB Counties with about 25 syrahs, 5 mourvedres and 10 grenaches tasted blind and then discussed among smaller tables and then the group as a whole. Humbling and wonderful info as a whole!

Cheers

Gotta say I was a little disappointed at the quality of some of the Mendo wines (not naming names) but agreed that it was neat to taste Pinots from everywhere from NZ, to Oregon to Burgundy. A great exercise for sure.

I agree. It seeed like at least most of the less than stellar ones were farmed in parts of that I think of as warmer. No?

Give me your honest opinion on how my 2014 Phelps stacked up.

I don’t drink pinot with age on it so that’s MY problem. There were younger wines that were more flashy/sexy, however many of them didn’t have the frame that’s your had. I also liked the minty character of yours, but being a '14 it didn’t have as much youthful fruit. Your wine cried to be consumed with a meal where others could be considered more ‘cocktail’ wines.