Wine Delivered to Wrong Address - Advice?

So a new customer ordered and paid for wine to be shipped to an address in Sacramento. Unfortunately, she provided a wrong address, only a block away from where the wine was intended, but didn’t realize her mistake until the wine had been delivered to the wrong address and signed for.

I asked her if she wouldn’t mind having the person she was sending the wines to to contact the person who got the package, and she was not comfortable doing so - said that she would not because she’d be worried about this person knocking on a stranger’s door.

I contacted GSO and they ‘attempted’ to get the package back twice, with both times the recipient not being home (or at least not answering the door). At this point, GSO says they can’t do anything else - and I can’t file a claim since they did what they were supposed to.

What would you do? The customer still wants the wines delivered because she will be sharing the wines for the holidays with the recipient. Do I:

1. Send the wines again at my expense?
  2. Charge her again for the wines at the same cost?
  3. Charge her again but give her a discount?

Really curious to hear how you think I should handle.

Thanks!

You should not have to eat the cost for a customers mistake. The best option might be to have the customer write a note explaining the situation and put it in the recipients mailbox - no confrontation and they’ll probably sort it out.

If they wont do that, I think the right move is to offer a discount on a reorder. The amount is up to you but not below cost. Any reasonable customer would understand that is fair.

She understands this isn’t your fault but this could be an opportunity to create a repeat customer. If a small order maybe re-ship for no charge. If larger order a discount.

Charge her again, either full or only slightly discounted. Or she could put on her big girl pants and drive over with a friend along with and pick it up.

Berserker in Sacramento to handle ?

Number 1. Just get it done and put it in your margin of error column.

^ This ^

Nate Simon lives in Sac.

Just curious as to what prevails here, the name or the address? I would assume the recipients name was on the package and the wrong person signed for it at the mistaken address. Did they sign their name? If so, isn’t it GSO’s responsibility to check that? If Larry is on the hook to make this right, does this mean anything that shows up at my house I can claim regardless of whether it was intended for me?

How is this different from an erroneous deposit showing up in my bank account and me spending it assuming it was my year end bonus? I’m pretty sure I would have to pay it back.

The named person doesn’t have to sign as far as i know. If it goes to the right address and someone 21+ signs for it, then shipping is good.

I’m also very interested to hear what is decided and how this turns out. And if you do end up shipping a new order; i’m really interested to hear what christmas-miracle wine this unknown recipient is being treated to?

Please ship future orders:

c/o Drew Goin
Shreveport, Louisiana
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sell her the wines at fob and charge her for shipping. Both of you then are hooked.

She ended up not wanting all of the wines reshipped - just about 2/3 of them. I charged her basically my industry discount and charged her shipping - let’s see how this turns out :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback all - greatly appreciated!

Cheers

No fun to deal with. I would have done a similar solution.

Sooooo -

It turns out that the person who received delivery of the package on Tuesday eventually did return it to where it was supposed to go - but not until Friday By then, I had already arranged to send off another shipment (partial this time) to the ‘correct’ address and I offered them industry pricing. That package was finally delivered yesterday. As far as I can tell, all is now ‘good’, but that was a bizarre experience all around.

Thanks for the input and advice all.

Cheers!

Outstanding that the wrong recipient got the package to the right person. It could have taken that long for him to locate the correct address and get it to them. Had he refused the package, you would pay return shipping, probably get wine back that had been on the road a little too long and get see how trashed a shipper can be after two trips.