Looking for 1/2 ton bins and neutral barrels

Hi,

I am looking for both picking and fermentation 1/2 plastic bins. If anyone has a line on any I would appreciate it.

I am also looking for 6 neutral barrels. Preferably white wine but red would work too. Also, preferably all from the same year.

Thanks,
Berry

I wish I could help you out though no extras at this time. Be sure to check the winebusiness.com classifieds or even post a wanted ad. You can send them your email and you will get 5 days a week updates.

You want to ferment in 1/2 ton micro bin? I have not seen great results with those and greatly prefer T-bins or Bonner Bins even if only putting a half ton of fruit in them. T/Bonner bins are double wall and hold temperature much better.

Thanks.

Im thinking of trying a skin contact white in them and would actually prefer a cooler ferment with that.

How are you with a trowel?

I would LOVE to have some contrete eggs to be honest but that’s not in the immediate plans unfortunately.

It’s my first year buying from them (so I’ll tell you in a year how it went!), but Heritage Barrels has been really helpful–they (I think with Premier Wine Cask) seem to broker a ton of used (to neutral, which I’m getting) barrels. Was a bit nervous, but they apparently have consistent sources they trust to send healthy barrels and with the volume (it seems) they do, they’re waiting until I actually need the barrels to purchase what I need, so they shouldn’t be sitting around too long.

I kept trying to buy neutral whites but I’d always call a few minutes after someone else grabbed them. I ended up getting impatient up buying some neutral reds from what I guess is a broker out of Chico. Im very nervous about brett but hopefully I don’t have any bad luck. The barrels were from Vinify I guess.

Be sure to ozone/steam or both to any used barrels inside and outside. When I was building the barrel program to start I found a couple of producers who showed me scorpions from the lots of wine from said barrels.

Just like in gun safety “all guns are always loaded” until verified not. All barrels new or used are always contaminated unless proven not or sterilized preferably both. I think the needle sharing analogy fits as well, be safe out there on that used barrel market.

I’m told they were both steamed and ozoned.

Used reds are dicey, and I tend to think that brokers are where wineries sell barrels that they would be leery of offloading in a face-to-face transaction with another winery. Proceed with extreme caution. On the other hand, I’m starting to develop some confidence in chitosan, and I’ll probably use it prophylactically in any used barrel I bring in.

Yeah, Im nervous. I probably should have been more patient, but it is what it is at this point. I totaled my vehicle hauling some fermenters and everything was put into disarray so I just had some barrels delivered. I’ve recently acquired some neutral whites too, so at this point about 1/3 of my wine will go into those. I’ll keep looking.

Hey all,

I’m looking for a few macro picking bins as well (3 or 4). If you have or know of any let me know! Thanks!

Hi Berry,
If you are looking for some neutral white barrels, I have between 5 and 10 that I will not be using this harvest. If you still need some, drop me a PM.

I don’t know what ‘stem’ is, but ozone and chitosan and the like would just be to treat the surfaces, right? Perhaps that’s sufficient just to get the majority of any issues, and we rely on sulfite to keep the rest in check?

For us small fries (2 barrels) who haven’t invested in ozone, what would you all recommend? I’ve been thoroughly rinsing, final wash inside and out with a sulfite solution, then air drying in the sun.

Not sure this is cost effective or even possible, but could you soak known clean wine (or deionized water maybe?) in each used barrel and send it to Vinquiry or your favorite lab for a microbial analysis?

The barrels in question are slated to become planters for strawberries next year. I just didn’t trust these barrels and have bought some neutral barrels directly from a winery that has tested their wine for brett.