2022 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Steve Edmunds

Re: 2022 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

#101 Post by Steve Edmunds »

Shake Ridge got hit again last week. Pretty rocky year shaping up out there

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Ken Zinns »

Ughh…sorry to hear that.
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Casey Hartlip

#103 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Jesus folks....anyone doing any "farming"?
Retired tractor jockey

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Joe Webb »

Some wind damage over the weekend. Raising wires the last couple days. Hay field just got cut. Maybe 90 tomorrow and bloom has yet to start.

I keep forgetting to take pictures.

Hopefully frost is past us but last Thursday/Friday nights we got to 36 and a neighbors fans turned on. I put my tomatoes and garden out the previous Thursday after 3 nights of frost.

Here is one from a frost night.
B6241EC1-96B8-4F96-81A6-BDDA94C9AD74.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#105 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

The temperature hit 101 here at my place yesterday afternoon! Bloom is on the downside and the vines look like bushes rather than vines. That will end today as the guys are out there this morning suckering. Tomorrow we will rework the ground to get rid of the second cover crop that popped up with the last rain. Then as it cools later in the week, will get another spray on.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Joe Webb »

Bloom just started on our earliest pommard block. Picture below, but cool and cloudy the last couple days with chance of maybe .1” of rain tomorrow. Some are worried about shatter leading to Millerandage(shot berries, hens n chicks) as well as a bit more uneven set potentialy making pick calls tougher.

Im not woorried no biggie for us. Put one more sulfur spray down yesterday. I think the storm will fizzle to a trace to maybe.01”.
6B4302C0-16EF-47AD-9A71-DAD929D10A6B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

Casey Hartlip

#107 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20220527_200639418.jpg
Well here I am a month in retirement and I'm posting on the farming thread? I'm back for the wedding of my nephew this weekend. Walked out to the Gruner...my baby ....
and shocked to see the very front end of bloom starting. Everything else WAY behind here in Philo. More as the weekend unfolds.
Retired tractor jockey

Casey Hartlip

#108 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Well, I walked both ranches this morning....no hangover I'm happy to report. I felt like a stranger in a strange land. Like I don't belong here anymore. There is a touch of bloom starting in many blocks, but the shoot growth is way behind. The 4+ inches of rain that happened in April really has helped overall vine health, but the weeds are going to be a problem all season.

Some of the older AXR blocks don't look great. The new Mt Eden Chard field looks very happy as most vines are starting to peek out of the 24" tubes. That rain was perfect for that block. After yesterday's weak front blew through, it's brisk and windy today. Certainly will loose a few shoots out there.

I was able to talk to some of the crew and was nice to see them. Some of the constant ranch drama is continuing just fine without me. Another confirmation that it was time for me to move on. I always knew that from April to October it was a seven day a week job, even if the crew had the day off. Once the vines are out you can't stop thinking or worrying and one thing or another. I already see things happening that I wouldn't do, but that also doesn't mean it wrong, it just means it's a different approach to this property.
Retired tractor jockey

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by mattcitrang »

Casey,

Thanks for the post. I miss your update and your perspective.
Ace Citrang10

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#110 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

A survey of the vineyard find that the fruit is mostly set. That was a quick bloom, which is always nice.
Merrill

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Bdklein »

So I see rain the forecast for Napa/Sonoma and other parts of Northern California this weekend. Is that “bad” for the grapes/vines?
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#112 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

Bdklein wrote: May 31st, 2022, 3:39 pm So I see rain the forecast for Napa/Sonoma and other parts of Northern California this weekend. Is that “bad” for the grapes/vines?
Not for me. I am through bloom and fruit set. Rain will just keep me from having to irrigate!
Merrill

Casey Hartlip

#113 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Bdklein wrote: May 31st, 2022, 3:39 pm So I see rain the forecast for Napa/Sonoma and other parts of Northern California this weekend. Is that “bad” for the grapes/vines?
Here I am on my road trip and can't sleep.

For Anderson Valley it's gonna SUCK. Most of the valley is in various stages of bloom......most are less than 50%? and a two day half inch weather event is kind of the last thing they need right now.

Canopies are starting to fill out now and mildew pressure will go pretty nuts with rain and cooler temps. Add to that it's a time of year for outdoor activities like weddings and graduation parties, planned many months ago and that sucks too.

Mother nature can be cruel. During the 'rainy season' between December and March there was next to nothing, now she's just being a bitch.
Retired tractor jockey

Roy Piper

#114 Post by Roy Piper »

Gonna have 5 days between 95-104F next week. Which probably means 98-107F. But the next couple days and today between 75-80F. A lot of variable temps this year from one week to the next.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#115 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Roy Piper wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:18 pm Gonna have 5 days between 95-104F next week. Which probably means 98-107F. But the next couple days and today between 75-80F. A lot of variable temps this year from one week to the next.
Not just in Napa. Here in CT during May we had high temps as low as 42, and as high as 97.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#116 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

It is pouring here at my place - a stream running down my long driveway! It started sometime last evening and is continuing this morning. At this point, with the fruit well set, it is very welcome for the well and yard plantings, as well as the vineyard. Strange, though, in June.
Merrill

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#117 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

After a few days of pleasantly warm weather, today and tomorrow will be scorchers, particularly tomorrow. Feeding the vines with a little extra organic fish emulsion to help them through it.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip

#118 Post by Casey Hartlip »

IMG_20220609_195016525.jpg
My final in person vineyard report. We're back from travels and very appreciative that folks let us stay in the owners cabin while we're here.

Things in AV are LATE from a 10 year average.....timing wise. I really only walked out to the Gruner tonight, but passed a cline 17 Chard block and Pinot 115 field and they are still blooming. Not nearly done. The Gruner pic above is just past full bloom with caps still attached. If everything sets, there will be serious fruit thinning needed IMHO.

Of course I check in on the weather thread regularly, but am disappointed at the lack of activity. Too bad that cat lady with the 500 Cabernet vines never figured out how to post a pic. Cheers.
Retired tractor jockey

T Klonoski
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#119 Post by T Klonoski »

As long as we're talking retirement, maybe you could retire that sniping at Merrill as well.
T0m . . . . watered back

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#120 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Casey Hartlip wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:35 pm IMG_20220609_195016525.jpg
My final in person vineyard report. We're back from travels and very appreciative that folks let us stay in the owners cabin while we're here.

Things in AV are LATE from a 10 year average.....timing wise. I really only walked out to the Gruner tonight, but passed a cline 17 Chard block and Pinot 115 field and they are still blooming. Not nearly done. The Gruner pic above is just past full bloom with caps still attached. If everything sets, there will be serious fruit thinning needed IMHO.

Of course I check in on the weather thread regularly, but am disappointed at the lack of activity. Too bad that cat lady with the 500 Cabernet vines never figured out how to post a pic. Cheers.
That was seriously low Casey. It’s comments like your that demean this discussion rather than promote it. Sour retired grapes indeed.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Joe Webb »

Just weak shoot thinned the SB/Sem.

The spring rains have us mowing still. Lots of weed wacking as well.

Halfway thru our June closure, then returning to rack and backing PN, bottling prep and machine testing.

Mild to cool weather for this time of year, 2 nights ago we got to 39. Very few warm days thus far. Expecting a “normal” harvest starting PN second week of September. If things stay cool maybe 3rd week after fair weekend.

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Joe Webb »

Taking a break from mowing to put up tomato baskets.
DC6DC4A4-4ABC-430B-BB2D-F873C54B4B0C.jpeg
95F86D81-ACF2-4910-BBD7-94638E26A542.jpeg

Casey Hartlip

#123 Post by Casey Hartlip »

Talking to one of my guys at Valley Foothills and they are not fully out of bloom. Pretty crazy.
Retired tractor jockey

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Joe Webb »

Took tip growth plant samples today to test. More mowing.

Next up a heat wave and tipping the rows.
BACD30BE-98EB-46FB-8613-FE0ACD6EB40F.jpeg

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#125 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

To my eye, this looks like an exceptionally large crop, here, at my place. And the clusters are long. A lot can happen from here to harvest, but if nothing bad happens, it is going to be a very large crop at harvest. My enemy can be sunburn.
Merrill

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#126 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

108 degrees at my place this afternoon. Power is off until 7 pm. Nothing else to say.
Merrill

Drew Goin

#127 Post by Drew Goin »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: June 19th, 2022, 7:01 pm To my eye, this looks like an exceptionally large crop, here, at my place. And the clusters are long. A lot can happen from here to harvest, but if nothing bad happens, it is going to be a very large crop at harvest. My enemy can be sunburn.

I read about this unique preventative measure the other day. It seems simplistic, but it apparently is proven to help minimize the impact of sunburn in vineyards.

KQED
"Facing Drought, Wildfires, Scorching Heat, Bay Area Wineries Are Changing How They Grow Grapes"

by Ezra David Romero
Sep 30, 2021

"...Using grape leaf 'sunscreen' for heat waves"
"Winemakers at Green and Red Vineyard in Napa County use a clay spray on grape leaves to protect grapes from hot temperatures. The liquid clay acts like sunscreen for the leaves, lowering the temperature. (Ezra David Romero/KQED)"

"Wildfires and drought aren’t the only climate effects pressuring vines at Green and Red Vineyards. Scorching heat waves earlier this summer singed the leaves, exposing grapes to the scorching sun. For Aaron Whitlatch, the vineyard’s winemaker, losing another crop wasn’t an option.

"'I liken it to being a chef that doesn't get to complete their meal,' he said. 'They spent all day chopping things and preparing it, and then you just don't get to put it out on the plate for people to enjoy.'

"To protect the grapes from turning into raisins on the vine, Whitlatch turned to a human idea: sunscreen.

"'It's actually sunscreen for the leaves, not so much for the grapes themselves,' he said.

"The solution, borrowed from wineries in Australia, was already being used at a few other Northern California wineries. He tried it on his Petite Sirah vineyard, which is heavily exposed to sun on a hill.

"He sprayed the leaves with white organic liquid clay, which after it has dried, coats them in a cooling white powder and prevents shriveling or turning, ensuring the grapes are shielded from high heat.

"Still, Whitlatch says heat waves and drought this year will likely cut the total yield in half and he’s aware that future harvests remain in jeopardy as the climate emergency continues to worsen globally."

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Stewart Johnson »

It's been quite a few years since I've sprayed clay, but I keep a few bags on hand in case I ever have very exposed grapes. In general, I've stopped pulling leaves before harvest, and I don't have a lot of naked bunches hanging out there. There's always the possibility of increased disease pressure that might necessitate leaf pulling or some really early basal leaf senescence/drop, and I like to know that I can apply emergency "sunscreen" in that eventuality. Mostly, it works out that, by the time basal leaves would have died and dropped, I've already picked.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#129 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

This technique has been around for years. I have not used it because I am not crazy about the thought of residue on my newly picked fruit. I do not have vertical trellising, but rather large canopies on tall standing vines. Mostly it protects the fruit, and knock on wood, I have never seen leaves burned as in the photo above. If some exposed fruit gets burned, I just live with it. Bur I do fear it.
Merrill

Kim Z

#130 Post by Kim Z »

We used Surround clay spray one season here in anticipation of a forecast heat spike. I wasn't impressed with the results though the expense was impressive (the fruit isn't pretty but clay residue on fruit drops supposedly drops out of the wine like bentonite). A friend in San Miguel uses shade cloth and it seems to help.

Pre-emptive irrigation also seems to help. Hydrating the roots so the vines can transpirate, and the cold water going into the vineyard should help a little. Of course now we have drought and water restrictions...

https://www.novasource.com/en/products/surround
K*I*M Zussm@n

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”