Remedies for Smoke Taint?

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Post Reply
Message
Author
David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#1 Post by David Kingsbury » September 11th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Hi, first post here. I find the annual weather thread to be an excellent source of knowledge and news. We will be picking a small amount of Pinot this weekend in Sonoma County. Likely the fruit has been exposed to smoke. Are there any measures one could employ to minimize the effects of smoke?
Should one try for less extraction, maybe some stem inclusion? Just making a little bit of wine in the garage. I figure there’s not much recourse but figured I’d ask.
newhere ITB

User avatar
Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2893
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:54 am
Location: Mendocino County
Contact:

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#2 Post by Casey Hartlip » September 11th, 2020, 7:16 pm

David Kingsbury wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Hi, first post here. I find the annual weather thread to be an excellent source of knowledge and news. We will be picking a small amount of Pinot this weekend in Sonoma County. Likely the fruit has been exposed to smoke. Are there any measures one could employ to minimize the effects of smoke?
Should one try for less extraction, maybe some stem inclusion? Just making a little bit of wine in the garage. I figure there’s not much recourse but figured I’d ask.
I have a Pinot client saying he won't use any whole cluster for fear of smoke. That's all I got.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9681
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#3 Post by Joe B » September 11th, 2020, 7:38 pm

By more from the previous vintage?
J W@ll @ce

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7046
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#4 Post by Michael Martin » September 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Make rose’. Less time on its skins.

User avatar
timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 901
Joined: March 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: CA

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#5 Post by timmy roos » September 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Gypsy tears
Things are getting funny these day

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3622
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#6 Post by Sean Devaney » September 11th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Joe B wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:38 pm
By more from the previous vintage?
If you are making wine I don't think any grapes from the previous vintage are available neener

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4154
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#7 Post by Wes Barton » September 12th, 2020, 6:09 am

Michael Martin wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Make rose’. Less time on its skins.
To play around and perhaps be safer, I'd go all out for a blanc.

I've heard leaves are particularly bad. Anecdotal (to me, as I haven't researched it), but totally makes sense, since that's where the smoke is absorbed. Stems would also make sense, as the delivery mechanism. Perhaps a little counter-intuitive, but destemming, especially with one of those standard very brutal destemmers sold for home winemaking, will tear up and release a lot more fluid from the stems than just pressing with them. The stems will help knuckle into the grapes and the grape skins will protect the stems from breaking up. Same principle for foot stomping. So, sort out every single leaf, give it a thorough foot stomp, them press immediately.

For bonus points, cold crash the juice right away, then rack off the solids that drop out. How depends on your equipment and volume. Maybe dry ice if you don't have a chiller of some sort or a fridge it'll all fit in.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7046
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#8 Post by Michael Martin » September 12th, 2020, 7:01 am

The winery I work at in Western Colorado has potential for smoke taint from nearby fires. We pressed Merlot for rose’ a week or two ago. I just tried a sample from the tank. Still early in fermentation and there is no sign of smoke. The lab confirms it as well. We destemmed.

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#9 Post by David Kingsbury » September 12th, 2020, 8:02 am

Thank you for all of your replies. We made rose’ from the same vineyard last weekend before things got really bad this week. Might try to “cold crash” with dry ice as Wes suggested. Really a shame as grapes and numbers were looking so good before the change in winds that started Wednesday.
newhere ITB

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4154
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#10 Post by Wes Barton » September 12th, 2020, 12:40 pm

David Kingsbury wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:02 am
Thank you for all of your replies. We made rose’ from the same vineyard last weekend before things got really bad this week. Might try to “cold crash” with dry ice as Wes suggested. Really a shame as grapes and numbers were looking so good before the change in winds that started Wednesday.
To be clear, that's with the pressed juice. A white wine technique that some employ.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19108
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#11 Post by Victor Hong » September 14th, 2020, 7:02 am

Shelf talker, citing "pain grille" tasting notes for 90+ score.
WineHunter.

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3622
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#12 Post by Sean Devaney » September 14th, 2020, 9:25 am

I forecast more bourbon barrel aged wines from the 2020 vintage.

BenjaminL
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 46
Joined: March 13th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Location: Napa, CA
Contact:

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#13 Post by BenjaminL » September 18th, 2020, 9:02 am

Tom Collins:


Anita Oberholster, click on the link below.
https://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/multimed ... berholster

For any red grape cold soak/maceration- as you see your color extracting, your Volatile Phenols are extracting as well (timestamp 38:30 Anita)
B Leachman

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1851
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#14 Post by Eric Lundblad » September 18th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Sean Devaney wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Joe B wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:38 pm
By more from the previous vintage?
If you are making wine I don't think any grapes from the previous vintage are available neener
I'd be worried that grapes from the prior vintage might be over ripe by now!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#15 Post by David Kingsbury » September 27th, 2020, 12:03 pm

As a follow up we pressed the Pinot yesterday. Decided against taking any extreme measures. Wine tastes pretty good at this awkward stage as Malo had just started. Too early to know if it has been affected but am encouraged by yesterday’s sample.
Thanks to all who offered advice.
newhere ITB

User avatar
Roy Piper
Posts: 3969
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#16 Post by Roy Piper » November 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Not sure why, but post-ferment lab samples of taint from Cab on the floor are showing no more than you get in any other vintage. Not just for me, but everywhere and everyone I know. Cab seems to have less than Zin and other varietals. Also, press wine shows no difference than free run. None of this makes any sense. I have seen some big numbers in some of the mountains but that's all. Anyone else testing post-primary?
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11648
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#17 Post by Merrill Lindquist » November 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Going to. I have had the longest ferment in history, but things are still moving (down in sugar) with no increase in VA (mine is always low). The color is what you would expect from the Black Cat...just beautiful.
I tasted his morning and we are just about there. The taste, to me, is gorgeous, because I know what I am expecting at this stage. The winery's resident winemaker was grimacing (like he always does at this stage of the game). So I am going to say I am in very good shape for 2020, but will do the smoke taint test for everyone's reassurance.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2893
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:54 am
Location: Mendocino County
Contact:

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#18 Post by Casey Hartlip » November 17th, 2020, 2:59 pm

My 2020 Pinot is a wreck. Smells and tastes great but like I said in the weather thread I blew the water add. It's now 15.5% alcohol but the sugar is still 2.1. All activity in the barrel has stopped and I'm not going to try to restart a single barrel nor heat the wine up. Will consult with some of my experienced friends and decide. For now will keep it topped and hope for the best.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11648
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#19 Post by Merrill Lindquist » November 17th, 2020, 6:42 pm

If the "activity" in the barrel has stopped, and you have that much sugar left, you are going to end up with a sweet Pinot. Why NOT try a restart?
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3967
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#20 Post by Scott G r u n e r » November 17th, 2020, 7:38 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 2:59 pm
My 2020 Pinot is a wreck. Smells and tastes great but like I said in the weather thread I blew the water add. It's now 15.5% alcohol but the sugar is still 2.1. All activity in the barrel has stopped and I'm not going to try to restart a single barrel nor heat the wine up. Will consult with some of my experienced friends and decide. For now will keep it topped and hope for the best.
Pinot Port?
//Cynic

User avatar
Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2893
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:54 am
Location: Mendocino County
Contact:

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#21 Post by Casey Hartlip » November 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 7:38 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 2:59 pm
My 2020 Pinot is a wreck. Smells and tastes great but like I said in the weather thread I blew the water add. It's now 15.5% alcohol but the sugar is still 2.1. All activity in the barrel has stopped and I'm not going to try to restart a single barrel nor heat the wine up. Will consult with some of my experienced friends and decide. For now will keep it topped and hope for the best.
Pinot Port?
It doesn't taste pruny or overripe it has lots of red fruits. Luckily it's 25 cases that I don't need to make a living on. Going to consult with some friends and make a plan.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Michael S.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Napa

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#22 Post by Michael S. » November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Roy Piper wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Not sure why, but post-ferment lab samples of taint from Cab on the floor are showing no more than you get in any other vintage. Not just for me, but everywhere and everyone I know. Cab seems to have less than Zin and other varietals. Also, press wine shows no difference than free run. None of this makes any sense. I have seen some big numbers in some of the mountains but that's all. Anyone else testing post-primary?
Roy, yes and my experience with 2020 Napa fruit (from all over the valley and hillsides) is similar to yours. Proximity to the fire and amount of time exposed to fresh smoke (smoke coming from an actively burning fire, not lingering in the air for multiple days after first developed or blows in from out of the area) have led to the highest smoke taint marker numbers from tests. Also the most easily perceptible smoke characteristics from a sensory perspective. There's also a big difference between varietals, even within the same vineyard and their smoke results.

Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
Owner & Winegrower Pezzato Wine
Day-to-Day @ Tench Vineyards
Michael S a v a i a n o

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4154
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#23 Post by Wes Barton » November 18th, 2020, 12:06 am

Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
I heard about some roses being badly tainted.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

GregP
Posts: 670
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#24 Post by GregP » November 18th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 12:06 am
Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
I heard about some roses being badly tainted.
That simply can't be. All the reports lately claim there is no smoke taint in any vineyards, up and down the coast /s Slightly pregnant and all...
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Michael S.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Napa

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#25 Post by Michael S. » November 18th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 12:06 am
Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
I heard about some roses being badly tainted.


I understand this to be possible. It is dependent on severity of smoke taint in the fruit.
Owner & Winegrower Pezzato Wine
Day-to-Day @ Tench Vineyards
Michael S a v a i a n o

Michael S.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Napa

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#26 Post by Michael S. » November 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm

GregP wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 12:06 am
Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.

I heard about some roses being badly tainted.
That simply can't be. All the reports lately claim there is no smoke taint in any vineyards, up and down the coast /s Slightly pregnant and all...
[rofl.gif]
Owner & Winegrower Pezzato Wine
Day-to-Day @ Tench Vineyards
Michael S a v a i a n o

leslie renaud
Posts: 50
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Location: Windsor, CA

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#27 Post by leslie renaud » November 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Roy Piper wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Not sure why, but post-ferment lab samples of taint from Cab on the floor are showing no more than you get in any other vintage. Not just for me, but everywhere and everyone I know. Cab seems to have less than Zin and other varietals. Also, press wine shows no difference than free run. None of this makes any sense. I have seen some big numbers in some of the mountains but that's all. Anyone else testing post-primary?
Roy, yes and my experience with 2020 Napa fruit (from all over the valley and hillsides) is similar to yours. Proximity to the fire and amount of time exposed to fresh smoke (smoke coming from an actively burning fire, not lingering in the air for multiple days after first developed or blows in from out of the area) have led to the highest smoke taint marker numbers from tests. Also the most easily perceptible smoke characteristics from a sensory perspective. There's also a big difference between varietals, even within the same vineyard and their smoke results.

Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
I know that this is what people have been saying, but in our experience, this isn't true. Our smokiest lot was in Saratoga, really far from any fires, and only exposed to old smoke. You can smell the smoke just pouring the wine into a glass. We have some Napa cab that was really close to fires, that is totally clean. We had chardonnay in Dry Creek that a cinder literally fell out of the cluster when I sampled, and tested completely clean after a mini ferment on the skins.

Michael S.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
Location: Napa

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#28 Post by Michael S. » November 19th, 2020, 9:43 pm

leslie renaud wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Michael S. wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Roy Piper wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Not sure why, but post-ferment lab samples of taint from Cab on the floor are showing no more than you get in any other vintage. Not just for me, but everywhere and everyone I know. Cab seems to have less than Zin and other varietals. Also, press wine shows no difference than free run. None of this makes any sense. I have seen some big numbers in some of the mountains but that's all. Anyone else testing post-primary?
Roy, yes and my experience with 2020 Napa fruit (from all over the valley and hillsides) is similar to yours. Proximity to the fire and amount of time exposed to fresh smoke (smoke coming from an actively burning fire, not lingering in the air for multiple days after first developed or blows in from out of the area) have led to the highest smoke taint marker numbers from tests. Also the most easily perceptible smoke characteristics from a sensory perspective. There's also a big difference between varietals, even within the same vineyard and their smoke results.

Regarding free run vs. press, once you've been on skins in tank for any length of time you basically have a slurry. I'm not all that surprised that we're not seeing wildly differing results between the two.
I know that this is what people have been saying, but in our experience, this isn't true. Our smokiest lot was in Saratoga, really far from any fires, and only exposed to old smoke. You can smell the smoke just pouring the wine into a glass. We have some Napa cab that was really close to fires, that is totally clean. We had chardonnay in Dry Creek that a cinder literally fell out of the cluster when I sampled, and tested completely clean after a mini ferment on the skins.
Leslie, very interesting results that you're seeing. I'm super curious about why that is. Without knowing much about your specific vineyard locations or relevant smoke exposure I couldn't even wager as to why your results have been what they are.

My first hand experience from 2008, 2017, 2018 and now 2020 all point to sensory and/or lab analysis that show proximity to fires as most impactful and length of exposure to fresh smoke as leading to the highest results of smoke taint (both sensory and lab analysis of volatile phenol markers). I am mainly working with red varietals, mostly Bordeaux, so can't comment on Chardonnay.

Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss more. This is likely our new normal here in CA and I'm all for sharing information.

Cheers,

Michael
Owner & Winegrower Pezzato Wine
Day-to-Day @ Tench Vineyards
Michael S a v a i a n o

leslie renaud
Posts: 50
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Location: Windsor, CA

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#29 Post by leslie renaud » November 20th, 2020, 11:43 am

I will happily post results from AWRI once we receive the final numbers next week after they're out of lockdown.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4154
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#30 Post by Wes Barton » November 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm

I can think of potential reasons some Saratoga sites could've been tainted. The most plausible would be topographical. There were fires up along the summit. A channel leading down to the site could protect the densest smoke from dilution, greatly countering much of the time it took to get there. Also, if some or all of a vineyard are in a bowl, or even if there's a barely lower undrained section (some of these are difficult to perceive walking a site), you could get a pooling effect. where the denser airborne particulates concentrate. The taint in an area like that could potentially be several times that of a site the smoke passed through getting there. You see the pooling effect with frost damage to grapes and other crops, where the densest (coldest) air gets trapped. LANDSAT imaging helped solve the mystery of this agricultural phenomenon.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6671
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: Remedies for Smoke Taint?

#31 Post by Drew Goin » November 23rd, 2020, 11:10 pm

The "Research Results" page of the American Vineyard Foundation website has several studies linked to preventing, detecting, and treating smoke taint...


AVF website: "Smoke Taint" Research Results


AVF website: ALL Research Results

Post Reply

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”