Who's Holdings Would You Most Like to Acquire?

The Wine Berserkers Special Wine Guests program continues with Thomas Duroux of Chateau Palmer, October 22-27, 2012
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Who's Holdings Would You Most Like to Acquire?

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 24th, 2012, 1:13 am

Hello Mssr. Duroux,

First of all, let me say, "Thank you." for joining us this week. I've greatly enjoyed reading what you have written in response to others' questions so far this week, and will continue to do so throughout the remainder. [cheers.gif]

My question for you is purely hypothetical: if you could -- for free -- acquire the holdings of any other Chateau (or Chateaux), which would they be? The wines produced from these new holdings would still bear the Palmer name; therefore, this is distinctly *not* a question about buying "a name," (or names) but rather a question of which particular land(s) you'd be most interested in adding to Palmer's present holdings. Let's also ignore the potential labelling problems/situations that would result from mixing Pauillac or Pomerol grapes with grapes grown in Margaux.

Cheers,
Brian
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

thomas duroux

Re: Who's Holdings Would You Most Like to Acquire?

#2 Post by thomas duroux » October 24th, 2012, 1:30 am

Hello

Interesting question!! Well if I could buy vineyards to had to PALMER, they should be in the same league.
The only terroir I see around us is "Chateau Margaux"!!!

Otherwise I would go in the Pomerol AOC, ont he gravel plateau

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 24th, 2012, 1:49 am

Does your answer change if it becomes a question simply of "which other holding would you most like to work with?" --- i.e.: not a question of adding to Palmer's holdings. Or does it remain the same?

Let me take even a step further and additionally ask, besides Palmer's, what terroir in the entire world would you be most interested in?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

thomas duroux

#4 Post by thomas duroux » October 24th, 2012, 2:48 am

My answer does change in this case. There are a lot of very interesting place in Bordeaux and if I could choose just one I would choose one of the great first groth of Sauternes.
I was fortunate enough to work in different country like Hungary, California, Italie or South Africa. The one I don't know but very curious about is clearly New Zeland.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 24th, 2012, 3:21 am

Very interesting, Mr. Duroux! New Zealand, huh? --- this is an answer that surprises me. :)

What is it about New Zealand that piques your curiosity?

P.S. I share your love for Sauternes. flirtysmile

thomas duroux

#6 Post by thomas duroux » October 24th, 2012, 11:31 am

This is the only place out of burgundy where I found pinot noir with a personality

jdietz

#7 Post by jdietz » October 24th, 2012, 11:41 am

thomas duroux wrote:This is the only place out of burgundy where I found pinot noir with a personality
This should start some discussion... I've not bought Pinot from NZ.. if I were to do so, do you have one or two favorite producers???

edit: I just checked my Cellar Tracker inventory, and I DO have 1 NZ Pinot Noir.. Pyramid Valley..
Last edited by jdietz on October 24th, 2012, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, James

DTB

thomas duroux

#8 Post by thomas duroux » October 24th, 2012, 11:46 am

Felton road in Central Otago is one and I remember some fantastic ones made by Daniel Schuster (Omihi selection if I remember well)

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Eric LeVine » October 24th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Good questions!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Clayton Wai-Poi

#10 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » October 27th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Unfortunately Danny Schuster wines is now defunct. However there are some special producers in North Canterbury up by where he was - Pyramid Valley, Bell Hill, Pegasus Bay and Mountford are probably the most notable.

thomas duroux

#11 Post by thomas duroux » October 29th, 2012, 4:21 am

Thank you for the recommandation

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Thomas Duroux (Oct 22-27, 2012)”