ALINE BALY - "Up and Coming" Estates from Barsac?

Hello Aline -

First, thank you for participating on this Forum. My wife and I both adore your wines. Barsacs and Sauternes are the few wines where our two tastes align perfectly.

Can you comment on any “up and coming” estates in Barsac that us folks in the States should keep an eye on?

Thanks.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Wow, I’d love to know what YOU find out about “up and coming” estates so I can try them! I am very ashamed to say that my work keeps me so often on the road, I haven’t had the luxury of spending time in my own backyard! I am most familiar with the Crus Classes – those are members of the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux – as we often find ourselves at the same events.

I do want to say that there are a lot of the family-owned properties in Barsac and Sauternes that are now being managed by the “next” generation (or are in the processing of transitioning over). It is an exciting time to be here – there is a lot of positive energy. So I’d like to say that we all need to watch the whole of the two appellations – from the small producers to the better known estates. Things are moving – and there is lot of effort to move together!

Cheers,
Aline