Why isn't there more Scheurebe?

I’m still baffled by the relatively ‘lower class’ treatment Scheu gets in Germany compared to Riesling and even things like Pinot Blanc. Some of the greatest wines I’ve had in my life are the '98 and '01 MC Scheurebes; I’ve had some other tremendous examples of the grape from estates like Kurt Darting, Lingenfelder (by the way, whatever happened to them?), Diel and Pfeffingen… but it’s remarkable just how little good Scheurebe there seems to be in the marketplace. Why are growers paying it so little attention even though it can make wines every bit as profound, complex and food-friendly as Riesling (sometimes even more versatile)?

Cheers,

Salil

Salil, I think you already know the answer(s).

1. because this borderline-noble grape was unfairly lumped together with a whole category of queasy new crossings with which it had almost nothing in common. They were mostly despicable; Scheu is gnarly.

2. because Scheu wants a vineyard that’s good for Riesling, in which case why not just plant Riesling? It’s easier to sell and fetches a higher price.

3. because recently the Germans are all agog over the über-trendy Sauvignon Blanc, which (in its dry form) jumps through many of the same hoops as Scheu. Just not nearly as well.

4. Have faith, my fellow Scheu-boy-toy. It’s ekeing its way back.

Lingenfelder came to believe he’d be better off with another importer. It doesn’t seem to have panned out.