Mssr. Geoffroy: tell us a little about yourself

we have certainly learned a lot about your dedication and intensity, your quest for the best Champagne you can make, but tell us a little about yourself–a short biography–and how you ended up making Dom Perignon. What training was involved? And are you grooming the next generation for future succession (hopefully far in the future)?

Thank you so much for the time and thought put into these questions.

alan

Likewise here! I have found these posts very interesting and informative. It would be great to hear more about you and you passion in Dom Perignon. I too would love to send you a sample of what we are making here in Southern Spain. I wish you continued health, happiness and success in your wine endevours.

Best, Nola

Dear Alan,

First of all thanks for all the questions you asked. I have actually selected one of them (and its answer!) to be published on the blog in the next few weeks, if you don’t mind.

The transmission of expertise from one chef de cave to the next is crucial for us, as you have correctly noted. My official biography can be found on the blog. Let me simply say that I followed a rather atypical path, going full circle: starting in Champagne where I was born and where I studied medicine; coming to the world of wine, but overseas; and finally back to Champagne as the chef de cave at Dom Pérignon. This unusual background was helpful for my position at Dom Pérignon which encompasses much more than simply technical aspects.

As for my successor, this is a huge responsibility I have towards Dom Pérignon lovers (and shareholders) and I am of course already looking into this. Time is a key factor in this selection process, since the commitment as the chef de cave at Dom Pérignon will last for decades. To give you a bit of context, I am but the fifth chef de cave at Dom Pérignon in the past century.

Dear Nola,

Thanks for your kind words. Please contact me privately (via email on this site) regarding the samples.

Best regards,
Richard