Chablis and Food

Wine industry guests, bringing their expertise to WineBerserkers for week-long question/answer sessions
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chablis and Food

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 2nd, 2012, 4:10 am

Hi Guillaume,

I think many (most?) of us prefer to enjoy our wines with food. What are some of your favorite foods to pair with Chablis? I’m interested in hearing about pairings that are possibly considered “classic” pairings, as well as those that you have found successful even though they may be considered idiosyncratic, or weird. Is there a certain reason these wine-food pairings are successful?

Of course using the term “Chablis” is horribly general and not specific, so, to the extent you feel the need to discuss different expressions of the wine and/or vintages when answering, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions here, Guillaume! [cheers.gif]

Cheers,
Brian
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Guillaume Michel

Re: Chablis and Food

#2 Post by Guillaume Michel » February 2nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

Dear Brian,

Of course, Chablis is perfect with everything that comes from the sea, like seashells, fishes, scallops,... I love young Chablis with oysters as well as with sushi.

A Premier cru with some ageing will be perfect with fish in sauce or langoustine, white meat (light poultry, pork...), great with andouillette (do you have andouillettes in the US?). To me the most important thing is that the meal is not too heavy or strong-flavoured. Maybe that's why it's great with Japanese food, which is full of fine flavours.

At the end of the meal, and because I almost never have red wine with cheese, I would appreciate a Chablis with some Comté.

Cheers !

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 3rd, 2012, 5:36 am

Hmmmm, never considered Chablis with Japanese food, but, now that I think about it, it does sound very appealing! Thank you for opening my eyes to that option. [cheers.gif]
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Ian Fitzsimmons

#4 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » February 3rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

I like to pair GC Chablis with a windy autumn evening, preferably with mountains somewhere in the background. [cheers.gif] PCs are pretty versatile, I find.

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Guillaume Michel (Archive)”