Our next Special Wine Guest - Guillaume Michel of Dom. Louis Michel & Fils

Wine industry guests, bringing their expertise to WineBerserkers for week-long question/answer sessions
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 19th, 2012, 9:46 am

Guillaume Michel, winemaker & 6th generation member of the highly-regarded Domaine Louis Michel & Fils of Chablis, will be joining us the first week of February (January 30th - February 3rd).

Louis Michel is the benchmark for unoaked expressions of Chablisean terroir and a favorite of Burghound, Parker, and Wine Spectator with a reputation for high quality and consistently good reviews.

Located in the heart of Chablis, the Domaine has been cultivating the Chablisean terroir since 1850. More than 40 years ago, the family took a stand and began fermenting in steel tanks rather than wood barrels, preferring to create clean, pure and precise wines that would transparently display, rather than mask, the terroir of Chablis.

Today, Louis Michel farms 25 hectares across Grand Cru, Premier Cru, Chablis and Petite Chablis hillsides including Grand Crus: Grenouilles, Les Clos, Vaudésir and Premier Crus Montée de Tonnerre, Fourchaume, Vaillons, Forêts, Butteaux, and Montmain.
Guillaume Michel, who recently succeeded his uncle Jean-Loup, represents the next generation at Louis Michel and is carefully implementing a few new changes at the Domaine. Among them, Guillaume has resurrected Les Sechets Premier Cru in 2010 which had been vinified with Vaillons since 1970, re-worked the vast network of underground cellars, and recently added a mailing list to enable direct sales to private clients in the U.S.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Our next Special Wine Guest - Guillaume Michel of Dom. Louis Michel & Fils

#2 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 19th, 2012, 9:49 am

Awesome.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 19th, 2012, 9:51 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:Awesome.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

davidsturek

#4 Post by davidsturek » January 19th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Just grabbed some 2010 MdT earlier today. Very interested in the mailing list/direct sales for US customers. Very cool idea!

G B a r k l e y

#5 Post by G B a r k l e y » January 23rd, 2012, 6:18 pm

This should be very interesting, I am looking forward to hearing more about the philosophy behind unoaked Chablis. I also love the wines, but I'm biased...

Disclaimer - I sell Louis Michel.
G a b e

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Frank Murray III » January 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm

Awesome 2X, Frenchie.
My best wines of 2018:
2013 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or
2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast PN
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay
2012 Savart Expression Nature Ecueil
2010 Tercero Verbiage (Rouge) Santa Barbara County

Kindness matters.

Tom Moore

#7 Post by Tom Moore » January 23rd, 2012, 9:34 pm

davidsturek wrote:Just grabbed some 2010 MdT earlier today. Very interested in the mailing list/direct sales for US customers. Very cool idea!
I just signed up for this as well. Love his wines. You have any idea about the specifics? Are prices better than other channels?

davidsturek

#8 Post by davidsturek » January 23rd, 2012, 10:12 pm

Tom Moore wrote:
davidsturek wrote:Just grabbed some 2010 MdT earlier today. Very interested in the mailing list/direct sales for US customers. Very cool idea!
I just signed up for this as well. Love his wines. You have any idea about the specifics? Are prices better than other channels?

I don't know any of the specifics yet. I hope to hear about pricing pretty soon so I can start to plan my strategy for buying 2010 Chablis flirtysmile

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 24th, 2012, 8:18 am

I've moved this thread to the forum where Mssr. Michel will be chatting with us, but please save your questions until the 30th - don't ask them ahead of time and have them sitting here waiting for him to arrive.

Lewis Dawson

#10 Post by Lewis Dawson » January 24th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Very cool. AFAIK, Ray Walker at Maison Ilan is the first European producer to establish a mailing list for direct sales and direct delivery to US consumers. This was in fact the attribute that first peaked my interest in buying Ray's wines. I predict this distribution channel will become much more common over coming years. And Ray was first (I think).
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes &
French Wines

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by dcornutt » January 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm

He is a very articulate man. I met him at a Vineyard Brands tasting a couple of years ago in ATL. This should be interesting!
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Craig G » January 27th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Lewis Dawson wrote:Very cool. AFAIK, Ray Walker at Maison Ilan is the first European producer to establish a mailing list for direct sales and direct delivery to US consumers. This was in fact the attribute that first peaked my interest in buying Ray's wines. I predict this distribution channel will become much more common over coming years. And Ray was first (I think).
Chateau Fonplegade has a wine club/mailing list run on a US model, with US distribution (the chateau is US owned by Stephen Adams). He owns several others so maybe they have that model as well. I'm not sure when this began. He started to acquire the chateaux about 10 years ago.

That is probably the end of the similarity. I don't think Stephen Adams or Michel Rolland will answer your call or email, call you back to confirm your order, welcome you into their tiny cuverie, or show you their makeshift sorting table.
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Guillaume Michel (Archive)”