Philadelphia, PA

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#401 Post by Steve Gautier » May 5th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Kevin - looks like a fantastic experience. How was your meal at At the Table? I continue to hear very mixed reviews including from a few people who have been more than once and had very different experiences each time.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#402 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 5th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:Kevin - looks like a fantastic experience. How was your meal at At the Table? I continue to hear very mixed reviews including from a few people who have been more than once and had very different experiences each time.
I will post a review eventually... The short version is that I thought it was FANTASTIC! And yes, I've read the 3-star Philly Mag and 1-star LaBan reviews (it also has an almost perfect rating on Yelp, all 4- and 5-star reviews). So there is a difference in opinion. If the dishes were hot, I'm sure LaBan would have been more impressed.

Reminds me of two other places I love and miss: Blackfish and Will BYOB. Definitely in my sweet spot for cooking style.

Janella S, whom you might know, swears by it and organized my dinner. I think she's been there 4 times. This was also the second time for Dave K, and he also loves it. They also have good glasses for our wines!

This was the Sunday Prix Fix, which seemed a good deal of 4-courses for $45 (we added a 5th course and he comp'ed us a shared plate). So it's worth admitting, he definitely knew who we were and I had met him once before through my chef friend Darren. So we may have gotten extra special attention. But it says something that the Yelp reviews are so positive. If someone had a bad experience you know it's going to end up as a 1-star rant on Yelp.

As you can see from the reviews, the dishes are fairly complex, although not in a modernist cuisine or old-school French sense. They have lots of ingredients and contrasting textures seems to be a focus (not all the major ingredients show up on the menu), and the plating is very attractive. That can be challenging for a small kitchen. But they pulled it off for us (and the restaurant was sold out). I have very high hopes that any issues will be worked out.

That salad with the 13 (?) ingredients must take some time to plate, but it was delicious and interesting (although a couple of the cherry tomatoes were mealy).
Last edited by K_F_o_l_e_y on May 5th, 2017, 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#403 Post by Steve Gautier » May 5th, 2017, 1:41 pm

OK. I will put it back on my list. Good friends really want to go some time.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#404 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 5th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:OK. I will put it back on my list. Good friends really want to go some time.
If I stilled lived in Lansdale, I'd be eating there a couple of times a month. I hope it does turn out to be consistent and LaBan's review doesn't screw them. Other than Theresa's, there's nowhere in Wayne I really went to regularly.
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#405 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 5th, 2017, 1:57 pm

The dish below was our DOTN.

SPRING FETTUCCINE: Ramp pesto, baby carrots, English peas, morel mushrooms (& fiddleheads)
Attachments
IMG_6241.jpg
Spring Fettuccine
IMG_6241.jpg (26.02 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#406 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 8th, 2017, 1:16 pm

At The Table BYOB in Wayne PA (posted on Yelp)

I recently returned to my former stomping grounds in Philly for long foodie weekend: amazing omakase at Jesse Ito's Royal Sushi & Isakaya; a private dinner by legendary French Chef Georges Perrier at Baril; and I even stopped into Vernick, fresh off a James Beard Award. Great food, great friends--yeah, you might say I had a GREAT time!

But unexpectedly, my very BEST meal was at At The Table BYOB on the Mainline in Wayne PA.

Opened this past November by the recently engaged team of Alex Hardy and Tara Buzan. I'm certainly not the first to discover this tiny suburban gem that makes you feel like you are dining at a trendy BYOB in Fishtown. Philly Magazine gave them 3 stars, and you have undoubtedly noticed a 5-star rating so far on Yelp.

I had previously met Chef Alex at a charity dinner where he was helping out my good friend PhillyFoodDude in the kitchen. He seemed like a cool, dedicated and motivated guy. I gather he has worked at a number of noted Philly restaurants, like Marigold Kitchen and Pumpkin. But what really got me excited to try his new venture were the pictures posted on social media. Talk about plating meant to be Instagrammed! Oh, and my good friend Janella is a regular and swears by their food.

So four of us headed out to Wayne for their $45 Prix Fixe "Sunday Supper" menu. As you can see from my photos, we tried most of the menu, but here is what I ordered myself (you order 1 dish form each of the 4 courses, and then we ordered 1 extra course and were comp'ed a shared plate; there was also a complementary amuse-bouche and scones):

AMUSE-BOUCHE: Tuna tartare

THE GARDEN SALAD: With beets, house-made ricotta, carrots, cucumber, cashews

FLORIDA FROG LEGS: Deboned, with 2-hour sous-vide Jidori egg, ramps, ramp butter, pumpernickel

SPRING FETTUCCINE: With ramp pesto, baby carrots, English peas, Morel mushrooms

HOKKAIDO SCALLOPS: With golden raisins, pearl onions, fried capers, Piquillo pepper sauce, pickled ramps ($15 extra supplement)

RIPEYE "CAP" STEAK: The best cut of meat in a steer! I was looking forward to this based on a Facebook post, but it was sold out the previous day. However, Chef kindly comp'ed a tasting of the last remaining serving for the table to share

TRES LECHES: With apricot compote, butterscotch chips, graham cracker crumble

If those descriptions and photos don't make you jump on OpenTable to make a reservation, then here are a few additional thoughts.

First, although Philly Magazine described ATT as a "modernist BYOB", I wouldn't overly emphasize the modernist technique. It is certainly present, but that is true at many restaurant these days and here, as it should, it stays hidden in the background. Did we have something sous vide (the edge-to-edge medium rare of the steak certainly looks sous vide)? Who cares how it was cooked as long as it tastes good. This is not the original Marigold Kitchen that reviled in quirky techniques.

Second, these dishes are fairly complex. Again, not necessarily in a modernist (or old-school French) sense, but they do have a lot of ingredients (not all listed, like the fennelheads in the pasta), with contrasting textures being a common theme (chewy deboned frog legs, al dente carrots...). That complexity can be challenging for a small kitchen to turn out. But they pulled it off for us (and the restaurant was sold out). They also emphasize high quality ingredients. Elyesian Fields lamb (a farm owned by Thomas Keller), Hokkaido scallops (a first for me), Jidori eggs ("wagyu of eggs"), liberal use of seasonal wild ramps & morels...

Third, Alex seems to enjoy paying tribute to his culinary idols (there is a stack of their cookbooks on a shelf). In addition to the lamb, the striking amuse-bouche may be an ode to Per Se's famous salmon cornet.

Fourth, plating is first class. Hopefully my iPhone photos do it justice. If not check out Instagram. In particular, the salad was a tweezed work of art. And not just beautiful, but delicious, with contrasting textures and flavors (although there were a couple of mealy cherry tomatoes in it).

https://www.instagram.com/atthetablebyob/

Byob wines (good wine service; provided stems are excellent):
~NV Gimonnet-Oger Champagne Blanc de Blancs Premier Cru
~2010 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc
~2009 Yvon Métras Fleurie L'Ultime
~2007 Weingut Dr. Crusius Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel

Excellent service, well-paced. The space is charming, grey-toned, modern, ~25 seats and white table cloths. A picture-framed view of the kitchen is superimposed by a Julia Child quote. Generally plenty of parking in downtown Wayne at diner time, including a few spaced right in front.

I was blown away! If I still lived in Philly, I'd be eating here twice a month! Comparable to my long-time byob favs, Blackfish and Will.

As Julia Child reminds us: "People who love to eat are always the best people."

And that is certainly true At The Table BYOB.
Attachments
16 Steak.jpg
Ribeye "cap" steak
16 Steak.jpg (26.45 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
13 Scallops.jpg
Hokkaido scallops
13 Scallops.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
12 Foie gras.jpg
Foie gras
12 Foie gras.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
4 Amuse.jpg
Amuse-Bouche
4 Amuse.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Cheers,
/<evin

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#407 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 30th, 2017, 11:18 am

Really disappointing meal at Laurel the other night. I hadn't been in a while, and was looking forward to it. The amuse was riddled with "refrigerator taste" and none of us could finish it, even though it was at most 3 bites. Most of the dishes were just prettily arranged, but uninteresting. The exceptions were an espuma of fennel with sea urchin and a wagyu beef supplement that, thank God, had nothing in particular done to it. We went out for burgers afterwards.

From a BYO perspective, they have only one type of stem, and it's fairly small (okay, they also have champagne flutes, but those are so useless I don't count them) so keep that in mind if you bring multiple bottles in the future.

Robert Johnston

Philadelphia, PA

#408 Post by Robert Johnston » May 31st, 2017, 7:21 am

I'm from Washington DC but my wife grew up in the Philadelphia area. When visiting recently we went to Mica in Chestnut Hill. This is a small place, and the reason to go is the superb food, but being a BYOB was an added bonus. We enjoyed it so much the first time we were there (over the Passover/Easter weekend) that we went back two weeks later when we visited my in-laws.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#409 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 31st, 2017, 11:49 am

Robert Johnston wrote:I'm from Washington DC but my wife grew up in the Philadelphia area. When visiting recently we went to Mica in Chestnut Hill. This is a small place, and the reason to go is the superb food, but being a BYOB was an added bonus. We enjoyed it so much the first time we were there (over the Passover/Easter weekend) that we went back two weeks later when we visited my in-laws.
Glad to hear Mica is still doing well. We had many great meals there, including some private wine dinners, back when it was owned by Chip Roman (of Blackfish fame). LOL, I once hired a dog to hunt Oregon truffles for us and Chip turned them into an amazing meal for us (I think Eriche Sasche was there). Good to hear it has survived Chip selling it to one of his staff.
Cheers,
/<evin

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#410 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 2nd, 2017, 7:58 am

Two questions for those who have been to At the Table:

Is the Sunday Supper a limited menu? We can go either on a Saturday or a Sunday and would like the best options for menu even if it's more expensive.

Is the stemware adequate or should we bring our own?

Thanks in advance,
SK

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#411 Post by Kevin Porter » June 2nd, 2017, 12:39 pm

My impression is that the Sunday dinner is limited. I'm hesitant to say 'call them' because you know that's an option and chose to ask here, but... call them! I suspect even if it is limited they would be willing to work w/ you. When I was there the chef heard me bemoaning that sweetbreads had been removed from the menu and insisted on cooking them for me.

The stemware was fine - comparable to my every day Spiegelau (sp?).

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#412 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 3rd, 2017, 11:28 am

Hi Sarah,

Sorry, just saw this.

Yes, as I understand it, the Sunday Supper menu is all they have for Sunday. It's basically Prix Fixe where you can choose any of the selections for each course.

When we were there there were 2 salad choices, 3 appetizer choices (one was foie for a $10 supplement), 4 entree choices (one was Hokkaido scallops for a $15 supplement) and 2 dessert choices.

There were not specials or other dishes available on Sunday.

They did let Janella order 2 of one course rather than 1 each of two different courses, but she's a regular and Alex gave her some joking hassle about it. So I don't know.

We did decide to get an extra course to try more things, but of course were charged for it.

Glasses were good. I think they were Riedel restaurant series. But I only remember a champagne glass and a red glass, so that might be all they had. I wasn't paying too much attention since I brought my own glasses.

Happy birthday to your husband. I hope you have as good a dinner as we did.
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#413 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 3rd, 2017, 11:39 am

Kevin Porter wrote:My impression is that the Sunday dinner is limited. I'm hesitant to say 'call them' because you know that's an option and chose to ask here, but... call them! I suspect even if it is limited they would be willing to work w/ you. When I was there the chef heard me bemoaning that sweetbreads had been removed from the menu and insisted on cooking them for me.

The stemware was fine - comparable to my every day Spiegelau (sp?).
What was your experience Kevin? I hope they ironed out the bugs that LaBan was complaining about, since I thought they had a lot of potential and would love to see them succeed.

Like you, he gave us an extra plate when I jokingly whined the about the cap steak being sold out. But he knew who we were and that we would be writing online reviews lol, so YMMV.

I've been keeping an eye on Yelp and the reviews are still excellent. Of 23 total, only five 4-Star reviews and the rest are 5-star. Pretty rare that a new restaurant can avoid a whiner or two complaining about something on Yelp. LOL, so far the only whiner has been LaBan!

Or maybe the Mainline is just starved for decent food.
Cheers,
/<evin

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#414 Post by Kevin Porter » June 3rd, 2017, 2:24 pm

I had a tremendous meal there before the Laban review. Early on they were back and forth between prix fixed only or a la carte only. I thought that the 5 course meal, vegetarian for my wife, was great and good QPR. I've since looked at the a la carte menu and share Laban's concern re prices.

I thought the service was great and they served my wife a great veg meal.

The mainline is definitely lacking. I excited to have Mistral in the area but wish it wasn't at KoP Mall.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#415 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2017, 5:07 am

We enjoyed our meal there last night. Expectations were moderate and they were exceeded. The dishes were well conceived, nicely plated and for the most part properly cooked. The salmon we both had for our last course was woefully over done, but maybe that's how most folks in the 'burbs want it. The lobster roll Jonathan had was a bit silly - not enough lobster, too much bread, too much celery and who needs caviar on it? But it tasted fine. Vegetables in general were high quality and tasty, and everything came to the table at proper temperature.

Service overall was good, except one mistake at the beginning when a server tried to take Jonathan's plate before I was done with my dish, which should not happen at a restaurant of this level. The direction to "never leave a dirty plate in front of a diner" is a thing for The Olive Garden or Bennigan's, not for fine or semi-fine dining.

Being fairly new to PA, I'm still tickled by the BYO culture. It's fun to see every diner arriving with a bottle or bottles in hand. What makes me shake my head is the number of people drinking CA cabernet with shrimp pasta or soft-shell crabs, but I guess not everyone cares.

We were pleased with the experience, and had a good meal, but we probably won't make the effort to go back. It's just not compelling enough to make a 45 minute drive each way for us. That said, Jonathan's father and stepmother live in Radnor, so we might suggest going there with them sometime.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#416 Post by Kevin Porter » June 4th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. Now that you mention it, we enjoyed the vegetables more than I enjoyed the proteins. I had a very good steak but that's not really a benchmark. My duck breast was overdone. Perhaps as you suggest a concession to mainline tastes.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#417 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 5th, 2017, 9:31 am

Kevin Porter wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. Now that you mention it, we enjoyed the vegetables more than I enjoyed the proteins. I had a very good steak but that's not really a benchmark. My duck breast was overdone. Perhaps as you suggest a concession to mainline tastes.
My husband and I were discussing this - concession to Mainline (or similar) tastes, that is. I am of the opinion that a chef should still at least try to present a dish "properly" (I understand this is not an easily defined term), rather than making assumptions about the tastes of his clientele. I suggested maybe the "Chef cooks this to medium rare, is that okay for you?" question would make sense. My husband argued that so few diners would be able to translate these terms into a mental picture of what the result would look like, that it would be a useless query and just as many plates would come back to be cooked more.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#418 Post by Robert Broder » December 18th, 2017, 9:39 am

It has been a long time since I or anyone else has posted for Philly. It has also been a long time since I have been back to Tre Scalini (first time since it moved). Had dinner there Sat. night with 2 couples. All enjoyed there food. My only complaints were my waitress and the length of time it took for the courses to be served. Would it kill the waitress to smile? Miss miserable! My veal dish was particularly good. Night started out well as I actually found a legal parking spot. Not easy in that neck of the woods.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#419 Post by David Glasser » May 29th, 2018, 11:39 am

Any more recent recommendations?

Anyone been to Morimoto? They quoted $25 corkage and proof that wine was purchased in PA?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#420 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 29th, 2018, 12:28 pm

David Glasser wrote:Any more recent recommendations?

Anyone been to Morimoto? They quoted $25 corkage and proof that wine was purchased in PA?
Proof the wine was purchased in PA? That’s new.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#421 Post by Jeff Vaughan » May 29th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: Proof the wine was purchased in PA? That’s new.
I am curious about that, too. I have not heard of that.
CT: outplaying

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#422 Post by Kevin Porter » May 29th, 2018, 3:37 pm

It comes up now and again and then goes away. Probably when PLCB is interested in enforcement because sales are flagging.

This is kind of cross-posted with the thread in Wine Talk but Royal Sushi in Royal Izakaya if you had your heart set on sushi. I love Vedge and it is not something that you'll experience elsewhere. I don't know their corkage policy but they have a very good and (for Philly) reasonably priced wine list. Vernick, Fond, Will, and Laurel are all on my short list. Will is a BYO; I'm not sure about corkage at the others.

Please report back - this thread has been dead.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#423 Post by David Glasser » May 29th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Thanks Kevin, lots to go on here.

I’ve been looking at Royal and Uemi Uemi. Royal is a bit far from our meeting. Worth the drive?

Vernick looks awesome but too late to get in next week. I’ll check out the others.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#424 Post by Kevin Porter » May 29th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I’m not familiar with Umai Umai nor can I think of good options in that area. Marigold Kitchen in West Philadelphia is an easy drive from there and a cool BYO experience. Keep in mind that Royal Sushi is a 12 seat back room within Royal Isakaya - a much tougher reservation and very different experience.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#425 Post by Robert Broder » May 30th, 2018, 7:09 am

Surprised at the lack of update here also. Recently had dinner at Cadence, a new byob for me. Pre-fix 4 course menu for $ 60. 5 or 6 choices for each course. A la carte also available. Not my type of menu, I.e., very modern with strange ( to me) combinations for each dish. That said, I really liked it and very much enjoyed my meal as did others. 2 courses that stood out were the bison tartare and the duck dish. Service was great and very friendly. I also recall that there were interesting vedge choices within each course if you are so inclined.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#426 Post by Ted Erfer » June 2nd, 2018, 9:36 am

"Proof the wine was purchased in PA" is a load of horse manure. It is now very legal to have wineries with the proper license to ship to your home. So, the wine doesn't have to be purchased in PA to be "legal." Prior to the change in shipping policy, I saw some notices about purchased wines in BYOs every now and then. I was always curious if that policy applied for someone who lives in NJ and drove over the bridge, paid the toll to eat in our wonderful city and then gets "carded."

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#427 Post by Ted Erfer » June 2nd, 2018, 9:37 am

David -- our go to BYO is Will on Passyunk Ave. Always excellent food and great wine service.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#428 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 2nd, 2018, 4:04 pm

Isn't there a newish BYOB in Haddonfield NJ that has been getting raves? I think it was written up recently in Food & Wine or Bon Appetit? Can't remember the name.
Cheers,
/<evin

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#429 Post by Kevin Porter » June 4th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Hearthside (https://www.hearthsidebyob.com/).

It sounds like David will be (or was) in the Fairmount/Art Museum area. Perhaps A Mano, Tod Wentz' Italian BYO.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#430 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 5th, 2018, 7:48 am

Another recommendation for Cadence. It's walking distance from our house, so we were thrilled when they opened, and have now eaten there 3 times. The food is very good, and I didn't find the combinations strange, though they are definitely more creative than many local places offer, without getting fussy. They are getting really high quality ingredients, like lamb from Elysian Fields, which is very exciting. Stems are fine, though we bring our own. I saw that they make pairing recommendations on their website of wines that can be purchased from the local store, which I haven't seen before and thought was a great idea for people just looking to pick something up on the way.

I really hope they are able to maintain the quality at this price point, as it's a terrific addition to the city and the neighborhood.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Philadelphia, PA

#431 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » June 5th, 2018, 9:52 am

On a less upbeat note, the Inquirer is "reporting" today that South Helm, relative of Helm, and great in its own right..is closing in July and moving to 1901 Chestnut St, formerly home of Aldine. The bad news is that it will have a bar and license.

Not fatal, if they have a reasonalbe corkage, but....not good news if not.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#432 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 5th, 2018, 10:39 am

Your are right Kevin, Hearthside is, in Food & Wine:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/hearth ... new-jersey

Lot of new restaurants I need to catch up on next time I'm down in Philly...
Cheers,
/<evin

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#433 Post by Lee Barnard » June 8th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Has anyone tried Verbena in Kennett? Looks like it opened a few months back.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#434 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 9th, 2018, 11:08 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:Your are right Kevin, Hearthside is, in Food & Wine:

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/hearth ... new-jersey

Lot of new restaurants I need to catch up on next time I'm down in Philly...
Good luck getting a reservation at Hearthside. They are 95% booked a month out on Reserve.
Cheers,
/<evin

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#435 Post by Jeff Vaughan » June 10th, 2018, 7:48 am

Lee Barnard wrote:Has anyone tried Verbena in Kennett? Looks like it opened a few months back.
Lee, we tried it the first week they opened and were very disappointed in the food. We live nearby, and my wife wants to give it another chance, but there are quite a few restaurants nearby that I'd rather go to.
CT: outplaying

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#436 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » July 15th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Has anyone else been to Park Place, a tiny byob in Mechanicsville NJ, just over the bridge from Philly? LaBan gave it 3 Bells:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... 71013.html

I went the Friday after July 4th and I have to say it was just spectacular. They don't offer a tasting menu, but Dave K has been there enough that he was able to beg them to do one for the 2 of us. The chef's lovely Italian girlfriend, who is the only server, asked us how much we wanted to spend and we replied "just keep bringing us food." And they did. I think we had 9 courses lol. It didn't cost that much either.

https://www.parkplacecafeandrestaurant.com
Cheers,
/<evin

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#437 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 15th, 2018, 8:00 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:Has anyone else been to Park Place, a tiny byob in Mechanicsville NJ, just over the bridge from Philly? LaBan gave it 3 Bells:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... 71013.html

I went the Friday after July 4th and I have to say it was just spectacular. They don't offer a tasting menu, but Dave K has been there enough that he was able to beg them to do one for the 2 of us. The chef's lovely Italian girlfriend, who is the only server, asked us how much we wanted to spend and we replied "just keep bringing us food." And they did. I think we had 9 courses lol. It didn't cost that much either.

https://www.parkplacecafeandrestaurant.com
Merchantville, I miss the Philly byob restaurants.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#438 Post by Kevin Porter » July 25th, 2018, 8:05 am

The pic on the Park Place website with the server holding a bottle of Sandlands and a bottle of Dirty and Rowdy is great. Now I really need to go [cheers.gif]

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Philadelphia, PA

#439 Post by Phil M » August 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Any suggestions for a BYOB venue for a Rehearsal dinner in CC (preferably near Rittenhouse Square)? Would need space for 50-60 people (happy to take over entire restaurant if capacity is in that vicinity).
Ph!l M@rx

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#440 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 16th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Kevin Porter wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 8:05 am
The pic on the Park Place website with the server holding a bottle of Sandlands and a bottle of Dirty and Rowdy is great. Now I really need to go [cheers.gif]
All you need is Sandlands and D&R.

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

#441 Post by Lee Barnard » August 17th, 2018, 7:07 am

Phil M wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Any suggestions for a BYOB venue for a Rehearsal dinner in CC (preferably near Rittenhouse Square)? Would need space for 50-60 people (happy to take over entire restaurant if capacity is in that vicinity).
50 to 60 is tough since almost all I can think of are much smaller than that (and my general top choices are not in CC anyway). Mercato would be a good choice, but probably only holds on the lower end. Other BYOBs in CC that I can think of that might be able to accommodate that many are Audrey Claire and Giorgio on Pine.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#442 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 17th, 2018, 8:12 am

Phil M wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Any restaurant in PA can permit BYOB if they so desire, even if they have a liquor license. So you might be able to negotiate something with a restaurant that doesn't normally do BYOB, given you will be renting a large space.
Cheers,
/<evin

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#443 Post by Phil M » August 19th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the responses - some good ideas to follow up on.
Ph!l M@rx

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by scamhi » August 19th, 2018, 2:10 pm

we did my daughter's rehearsal dinner at Tre Scalini
1915 East Passyunk Avenue. we had about 60 people in a private room upstairs and I BYO'd all of the wine. no corkage.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by Phil M » August 20th, 2018, 8:40 am

I will definitely give Tre Scalini a look. Thanks!
Ph!l M@rx

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by Bob Hughes » August 26th, 2018, 2:22 pm

In terms of newer places, Andiario in West Chester is great. They just got their license, but still permit BYOB with $10 corkage. Excellent, al dente pasta dishes are a real highlight.

And another vote for Park Place - very talented chef with some pretty creative dishes, IMO.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#447 Post by Steve Gautier » August 26th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I agree that Andiario is great - both food and service including wine service. Menu was too limited when they first opened but expanded as the have become busier.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by Bob Hughes » September 11th, 2018, 1:57 pm

A few of us locals are hitting Andiario for our first excursion with a chef's tasting menu tomorrow night - should be interesting, as we are basically pairing up their food with a selection of French wines. It will be my first time there "off menu" and we submitted our wines to the chef so he could think about pairings, so I'm kind of psyched to see what he comes up with for us.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#449 Post by Steve Gautier » September 11th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Bob - that sounds like a ton of fun.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#450 Post by Bob Hughes » September 20th, 2018, 10:27 am

We hit Han Dynasty in Exton last night for their "3rd Wednesday of the month" tasting menu. Hard to imagine a better value for the money - $25 a head plus tip for what had to be around 15 courses. An incredible amount of food, with the only requirement being that you need to be non-averse to "heat"/spicy dishes.

We drank a number of German Rieslings, including two Donnhoff's and two Selbach-Oster's, one of which (the 2010 Rotlay) was my WOTN. We also had some bubbly, a Geil Spatlese and an interesting wine from Oregon by Tony Soter that had a blend of white grapes that was very unique.

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”