Philadelphia, PA

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#301 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 14th, 2016, 6:24 am

:)

That's really not so many restaurants for a food-lover over the course of more than 3 years, especially when you take into account I moved to a new city after spending my entire adult life up to that point in a city of nearly infinite food variety and wanted to get to know the scene here. Those are all restaurants that there's good reason to visit (of quality, for one reason or another, or at least convenience) and those I didn't care for, I didn't return to.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#302 Post by Robert Broder » May 28th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Went to 26 North for the first time last night. I am not big on fish, but boy did I enjoy my meal. What I noticed was both my courses were beautiful to the eye, interesting preparations, and the main ingredient was not overwhelmed by the interesting add ons. Last, our waitress was great. Good service can make a big difference. Pleasant atmosphere as well. A winner. Edit:This restaurant closed a few weeks after my post. Too bad. I understand it was a chef/owner issue. I understand a new fish oriented BYOB has reopened as of Oct 1 in its place.
Last edited by Robert Broder on October 1st, 2016, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Philadelphia, PA

#303 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 30th, 2016, 9:18 am

"the main ingredient was not overwhelmed by the interesting add ons"

Bob, I think you've just articulated my problem with much of current culinary efforts in the more expensive places...and why I don't enjoy them. (August in New Orleans is one great example). The main ingredient gets lost in the mix....or becomes muddied by all the "add ons" , which often don't relate well to the main.

We celebrated our 33rd anniversary last week at R2L, Daniel Stern's restaurant with a view on the 37th floor of Two Liberty Place. Though we enjoyed it....(and wished we had paid a corkage and brought a special wine), it was borderline. I had one dish of roasted, herbed tuna...and sweetbreads were part of those "add ons" (I love sweetbreads), as were shitaake temppura and some other things. They were interesting, but....confused the plate...and the tuna was lost a bit.

Thanks for helping me articulate my issue with such cusine.

I appreciate much more simplistic cuisine, I think, includng on pizza.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#304 Post by Robert Broder » May 31st, 2016, 8:40 pm

Thanks Stuart! The week before I went to a restaurant (nameless) that I have been to many times and had herb encrusted rack of lamb which in a word was disgusting. Four small chops that were so overcooked they couldn't be cut with a knife and made worse by swimming in a puddle of red liquid with a variety of chunks of unidentifiable vegetables. Worse, our waitress was an idiot! She asked at least 4 times are we enjoying our dinner the first of which was 30 seconds after she served the appetizers. My favorite was when she brought out the entrees and asked who gets the crab cakes? I responded no one, and then pointed out that the dish she was carrying was soft shells that 2 at the table had ordered. Just a rant that doesn't relate to the main premise, but I too am tired of "pretty" food combinations that make no sense. My favorite recent meal, an amazing plateau de fruits de mer at J Sheekey in London . Can't get more straight forward than that. But oh how fresh, varied and delicious! Service was great too. By the way, happy anniversary! Our 41st at the end of June and 9 more days to my 70th birthday.

Philadelphia, PA

#305 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » June 1st, 2016, 8:36 am

congrats on both...and on the landmark, especially.

simplicity of life is important.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#306 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 1st, 2016, 10:39 am

Agreed. Cluttered, muddled and confused dishes are a downfall of amateur chefs with aspirations. They think, mistakenly, that the more they do on the plate the fancier, impressive or more haute cuisine they have become. Truly gifted chefs understand how to make the simple complex, or the complex simple. How to take excellent ingredients and do as little to them as possible to bring out their essence; or how to combine a few elements that play supporting, not competing roles. Cuisines like Indian or Thai that often involve numerous ingredients are notable for how well those ingredients blend into something of a whole.

Philadelphia, PA

#307 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » June 1st, 2016, 12:11 pm

Well, Sarah, I think some chefs' goal is to create competition for the spotlight, and not "blending". I don't look it as a fault in their execution, but their goals. They either try to shock or impress with how many elements/ingredients they can put on a plate before the plate capitulates..ie, to test the limits. My problem is that I can easily become overwhelmed, negating the efforts. And, these are often by people very highly thought of.

Maybe it's all about sensory overload. But, I'm happy to admit my sensory limits are low when it comes to one plate.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#308 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 1st, 2016, 12:18 pm

The best Thai food I've had in my life was at Shola's (apparently he cooked in Thailand for a year). Wasn't as big a fan of his attempt at Indian cuisine.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#309 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 27th, 2016, 5:14 am

Just moved to Northern Liberties on Friday from Bella Vista and still going through this thread to pull out some new local options. Some of those listed early on seem to have closed.

Last night we ate at Heritage on 2nd Street. Good food, a little heavy on the sauce, but proteins and vegetables all prepared correctly and food flavors. Large portions and not a ton of starchy fillers on the plate. Serviceable wine glasses, nice space with live jazz (not too loud, thank goodness). $20 corkage, though they only charged us for one of our two bottles.

Tim Telli
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Philadelphia, PA

#310 Post by Tim Telli » July 25th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Enjoyed a couple of really good meals in Philly recently. Ate at Marigold Kitchen which was very tasty and not too avant garde considering its 'molecular' tag and Wm. Mulherin & Sons, a newish place in Fishtown with a wood fired oven, great cocktails and nice vibe. Highly recommended.

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#311 Post by ybarselah » July 27th, 2016, 12:43 pm

what's the latest on Laurel?

anyone been recently?
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#312 Post by Ted Erfer » July 27th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Laurel is still outstanding.
Nick just opened a little bistro next door.

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#313 Post by ybarselah » July 27th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Ted Erfer wrote:Laurel is still outstanding.
how's the bistro? byo? might be more my speed.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#314 Post by Ted Erfer » July 28th, 2016, 10:44 am

ybarselah wrote:
Ted Erfer wrote:Laurel is still outstanding.
how's the bistro? byo? might be more my speed.
Not BYO.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the- ... syunk.html

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#315 Post by ybarselah » July 28th, 2016, 2:49 pm

ah got it. maybe a cocktail after dinner.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#316 Post by Ted Erfer » July 29th, 2016, 2:01 pm

ybarselah wrote:ah got it. maybe a cocktail after dinner.
On that same block is a great spot --- Will BYOB.
We go there often. And there are lots of places around there for drinks pre or post.

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#317 Post by ybarselah » July 30th, 2016, 6:25 am

Ted Erfer wrote:
We go there often. And there are lots of places around there for drinks pre or post.
will is one of my favorite spots in philly - just great hospitality and easy food. i cancelled laurel - couldn't deal with a tasting menu.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#318 Post by Ted Erfer » July 30th, 2016, 1:46 pm

ybarselah wrote:
Ted Erfer wrote:
will is one of my favorite spots in philly - just great hospitality and easy food. i cancelled laurel - couldn't deal with a tasting menu.
Have you tried Helm? Also BYO --- best with a table of at least 4 and order the "family style" menu.
When are you going to be in Philly??

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#319 Post by ybarselah » July 30th, 2016, 2:01 pm

many times. really like it. i think i posted up thread. trying bistro 7 tonight.

i'm just here for the weekend.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#320 Post by Ted Erfer » July 31st, 2016, 5:28 pm

ybarselah wrote:many times. really like it. i think i posted up thread. trying bistro 7 tonight.

Say hi to Michael (chef/owner) for me. Great guy.
We have many tastings there.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#321 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 4th, 2016, 12:42 pm

ybarselah wrote:many times. really like it. i think i posted up thread. trying bistro 7 tonight.

How was Bistro 7? Friends like it, but we haven't been yet. Trying to get to know places in the new neighborhood (Northern Liberties) before we make a habit of going back to the old one all the time.

Brian Lynch

Philadelphia, PA

#322 Post by Brian Lynch » August 5th, 2016, 6:02 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Laurel is a good restaurant, and very good for Philly. Using Per Se as a metaphor for "very top restaurant in the country," so we don't have to discuss its past or present merits or lack thereof, no - Laurel is not on par with Per Se.

I ate there once with friends and enjoyed the meal, though I was quite put off by the attitude. We were greeted with "Good evening. I imagine you have all been eagerly looking forward to dining with us this evening!" The implication being that we were to feel honored to eat there. I don't like it when restaurants get so affected by their popularity and hype that they feel you should be congratulated for scoring a reservation.
Just revisiting the thread since May and saw some interesting posts. Figured I'd give my .02.

I didn't say Laurel was on a par with Per Se, just that for the money you can have a dish on par with what they are serving without having to pay 10x for that experience. Would I do Per Se for a special occasion - sure, but we're realistically talking about a $2K commitment so I'd much rather visit and revisit Laurel, which is fantastic for Philly, and buy some fantastic wine over a one-time Per Se dinner.

I say this even though I agree that the service at Laurel lags the food. We had a bad service experience when they were at the top of the press cycle (thus my earlier comment) and offending folks were let go after that. The service is better now, but not great. As a suggestion, I try to steer them away from keeping my wine off the table or in a bucket away from the table. Their intentions are to give traditional wine service, but they don't, so I just tell them to keep it at table and I pour it for all when we need it. It's not a Michelin experience but it is damn good BYO.

Sarah, just curious what your top 5 Philly favorites are and why, if you have time. Seems like you've hit most of the top spaces.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#323 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 12th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi Brian. We like the food at Vernick a lot, I think it's the best in Philly at the end of the day, and really enjoy both the bar and the vibe there. Also love Zahav, which isn't innovative, but what they do well, they do quite well. It's also a great place to eat at the bar, and I love it that their selection of salads will provide a wide range of tasty vegetables. Those, sadly, aren't really BYO.

We enjoy a lot of the BYOs others like (Will, Helm, etc.), but none of them make it over the line from like to love, so we haven't become regulars anywhere. We do, however, love the Royal Tavern's burger. We used to live walking distance and it was a huge neighborhood plus. Also the Bun Bo Hue at Cafe Diem - love it. We're very fond of Kensington Quarters, where a close friend is GM, especially for their Tuesday Night Fried Chicken, and also like Wm. Mulherin's Sons for a good bite and very good cocktails. We just moved to Northern Liberties and are still exploring what's in that general area.

Honestly, we cook at home most of the time and when we do eat out in town, it tends to be very casual: The Royal, or our favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican, or visiting Tim at Kensington. We go to BYOs when we get together with friends, and are glad there's such a satisfying set of options.

Brian Lynch

Philadelphia, PA

#324 Post by Brian Lynch » August 15th, 2016, 9:31 am

Thanks for the intel!

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#325 Post by Jeff Vaughan » September 4th, 2016, 7:11 am

We had a great meal and experience last night at Parc. It was a beautiful night to sit out side. $25 corkage fee. Overall a very nice evening.
CT: outplaying

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#326 Post by ybarselah » September 4th, 2016, 7:25 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

How was Bistro 7? Friends like it, but we haven't been yet. Trying to get to know places in the new neighborhood (Northern Liberties) before we make a habit of going back to the old one all the time.
sorry, just saw this thread again.

honestly, it sucked. i wanted to make excuses for it, but it was just really sloppy cooking. very nice folks, etc. but the recent review in the ink bore zero resemblance to what we experienced even though we had several of the same dishes.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#327 Post by Ted Erfer » September 4th, 2016, 11:47 am

ybarselah wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

sorry, just saw this thread again.

honestly, it sucked. i wanted to make excuses for it, but it was just really sloppy cooking. very nice folks, etc. but the recent review in the ink bore zero resemblance to what we experienced even though we had several of the same dishes.
Sorry to hear that. We haven't had a bad meal there - and we go often. Michael might just have had an off night.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#328 Post by Dan Hammer » September 30th, 2016, 8:47 pm

We're headed to see the Philadelphia Orchestra this fall. Concert starts at 8:00 on a Saturday night. We're staying at the Hyatt Bellevue. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced BYO between the hotel and the orchestra? We like all types of food. I'd like to limit dinner to $150 for the 2 of us. We don't mind having dinner at 5:00 - 5:30.

Thanks for the suggestions.
This space for rent.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#329 Post by Robert Broder » October 1st, 2016, 10:25 am

Recently ate at Po Le Cucina in Gwynedd just outside of downtown Ambler for the first time. Half hour away from me in Bryn Mawr. Went with another couple who eat here often. A wonderful meal, great service, nice stems and more quiet than most BYOBS. Chef/owner is Asian, but food is Italian with some twists and very fish oriented. Hardest part for me was selecting appetizer and entrée out of the menu choices and specials. Usually the dishes I order jump out of the menu, but not here, and I struggled to decide, since the descriptions looked so good. Ended up with my favorite food as an appetizer, Fried Oysters (sounds boring, but I love them) that were cooked to perfection, were fresh as can be and came with a Thai dipping sauce. Main was pasta with shellfish in a light red sauce. Could be had with white sauce as well. Others at the table had a variety of fish entrees, swordfish, salmon, real dover sole, etc. Chef is noted for his desserts, as well. Highly recommend.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#330 Post by Steve Gautier » October 1st, 2016, 12:53 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:We're headed to see the Philadelphia Orchestra this fall. Concert starts at 8:00 on a Saturday night. We're staying at the Hyatt Bellevue. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced BYO between the hotel and the orchestra? We like all types of food. I'd like to limit dinner to $150 for the 2 of us. We don't mind having dinner at 5:00 - 5:30.

Hopefully later in the fall. Orchestra went on strike last night after the audience was in the hall. All weekend events cancelled.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#331 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 2nd, 2016, 4:57 pm

It seems to be over - the strike, that is. My stepmother-in-law plays in the orchestra, and just called to let us know.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#332 Post by Brian Tuite » October 2nd, 2016, 6:26 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:We're headed to see the Philadelphia Orchestra this fall. Concert starts at 8:00 on a Saturday night. We're staying at the Hyatt Bellevue. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced BYO between the hotel and the orchestra? We like all types of food. I'd like to limit dinner to $150 for the 2 of us. We don't mind having dinner at 5:00 - 5:30.

Just went to Will byob about 7 blocks North up Broad St from your hotel and a block East on Passyunk. Had a great meal. Not sure when dinner service begins but we were seated at 6 and we were the only ones there. Got real busy after that though.
Last edited by Brian Tuite on October 3rd, 2016, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#333 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 2nd, 2016, 7:44 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:Hopefully later in the fall. Orchestra went on strike last night after the audience was in the hall. All weekend events cancelled.
Wow, what a way to insult the people who actually provide the financial support to keep you employed, but have nothing to do with your employment contract. FAIL
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#334 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 2nd, 2016, 7:52 pm

Not answering your question, but a couple of suggestions anyway... My favorite seats are in the "Conductor's Circle" where you actually sit behind and above the orchestra. I know it sounds weird, but they are great seats with a unique view, and feel very exclusive.

And it's obviously not BYO, but Jose Garces' super high-end restaurant Volver is in the same building (the entrance is actually right next to the stairs to the Conductor's Circle). I think they've changed it up since I was last there, but it is very molecular and very interesting, tasting menu only, with great wine pairing (one of the best Somms in Philly). The associated bar is also one of the best in Philly. A very sexy spot to hang out before or after the Orchestra.
Cheers,
/<evin

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#335 Post by Ted Erfer » October 3rd, 2016, 3:42 pm

Strike was settled........

And I am exploring the BYOs in that area - non-Italian which is making it a bit more difficult.

Matt Fleming

Philadelphia, PA

#336 Post by Matt Fleming » October 3rd, 2016, 6:12 pm

BYOB in that immediate neighborhood is a tough nut. Pumpkin on South St, about a ten minute walk from from the Kimmel Center, has very good food in a casual setting.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#337 Post by Dan Hammer » October 3rd, 2016, 6:52 pm

Matt Fleming wrote:
BYOB in that immediate neighborhood is a tough nut. Pumpkin on South St, about a ten minute walk from from the Kimmel Center, has very good food in a casual setting.
Pumpkin is cash only. [wink.gif] Since my nickname is miles and points, I'll have to pass. A few years ago, we went to Fond. Is it still any good?

Ted, northern Italian works better than southern Italian for us.
This space for rent.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#338 Post by Ted Erfer » October 3rd, 2016, 7:11 pm

Oh --- OK
That helps.
I looked at Pumpkin --- saw the "cash only" and crossed that off the list.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#339 Post by Kevin Porter » October 4th, 2016, 8:09 am

Vedge is not BYO but has a very good and reasonably priced wine list (very rare for Phila). It is also a great restaurant and well worth a visit (and I'm an omnivore). http://vedgerestaurant.com/

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#340 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 4th, 2016, 8:20 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
Steve Gautier wrote:Hopefully later in the fall. Orchestra went on strike last night after the audience was in the hall. All weekend events cancelled.
Wow, what a way to insult the people who actually provide the financial support to keep you employed, but have nothing to do with your employment contract. FAIL
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. It's a bit more complicated than that. And yes, I realize I'm not objective, but the same connection that makes me not objective also makes me well informed.

Anyway....If you are willing to eat at 5 or 5:30 you really don't have to limit yourself to the very small space between the hotel and the concert hall. Philly isn't that big and it's easy to get around. This thread has lots of good suggestions within a 10 minute Uber.

T3rry D3an

Philadelphia, PA

#341 Post by T3rry D3an » October 4th, 2016, 8:28 am

Dan Hammer wrote:A few years ago, we went to Fond. Is it still any good?
Fond is still quite good. Not BYO on the weekends however. At my last check it was a reasonable corkage (?$15?), but would be worth checking.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#342 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 8th, 2016, 8:47 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, of course. It's a bit more complicated than that. And yes, I realize I'm not objective, but the same connection that makes me not objective also makes me well informed.
And very opinionated about everything under the sun and always looking for an argument apparently.
Cheers,
/<evin

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#343 Post by Kevin Porter » October 10th, 2016, 9:06 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, of course. It's a bit more complicated than that. And yes, I realize I'm not objective, but the same connection that makes me not objective also makes me well informed.
And very opinionated about everything under the sun and always looking for an argument apparently.
I hope that this doesn't discourage Sarah from participating in discussions on this board. I appreciate and often learn from her observations.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#344 Post by Peter Kleban » October 10th, 2016, 9:31 am

Kevin Porter wrote:
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
I hope that this doesn't discourage Sarah from participating in discussions on this board. I appreciate and often learn from her observations.
+1. Her comments are always thoughtful, interesting, and detailed.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brt NV
W Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15
G Marsella Fiano di Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Daniel Dampt et Fils Chablis 1er Côte de Léchet '16

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#345 Post by Robert Broder » October 10th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Went to Mica in Chestnut Hill Saturday night with another couple. New owner as of early September. Acquired by Chip Roman's Chef de Cuisine, but not the liquor license so now BYOB. A lot to like. Free off street evening parking, handsome interior, good spacing of tables so noise was not as loud as your usual BYOB, very nice stems and excellent service. As to the food which I would call contemporary American, the menu is divided into 3 sections labeled snacks, appetizers and entrees with about 6 choices in each category (no specials). Snacks, as I understand it, are meant to be shared (we tried the crab beignets which were ample to be shared by 4 of us and very good). The food is very well and carefully prepared, ample and beautifully presented. A friend of mine, a real foodie, was also eating there that night and was leaving as we arrived said to me, "not your type of food" meaning maybe too contemporary. He might be right, as although I enjoyed my dinner, there was something that bothered me about each dish, i.e., an ingredient that took away from my overall enjoyment. Others at the table were very satisfied with the food, as was my friend and his spouse. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and I look forward to returning. A word of caution, however, if you do a web search, know that many entries and comments are for the prior ownership under the same name and when not BYOB.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#346 Post by Peter Kleban » October 11th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Anyone been to Manakeesh (Lebanese bakery and resto in West Philly)? Some friends, who are moving to the area, like it and we may go there in a week or so.

(Note added: Maybe no alcohol allowed here? Can't find out for sure.)
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brt NV
W Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15
G Marsella Fiano di Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Daniel Dampt et Fils Chablis 1er Côte de Léchet '16

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#347 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 12th, 2016, 2:01 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
Wow, I totally missed this....

I'm sorry if I upset you, Kevin. I would point out, while we're criticizing being opinionated, that it was you, not I, who expressed the first opinion on this subject by commenting negatively on the orchestra's choice not to perform. As I said, you are quite free to hold that opinion and express it. I am sure you are not the only one who holds that opinion. But why does my expressing a contrary position, expressed quite mildly and without insult attached, deserve an angry lash-back? Is my position not equally valid, and am I not equally free to express it without opening myself to personal abuse of my character? I am quite puzzled by your vehemence. If anything, I would think that my personal relationship to the situation would cause me to be the one to react with venom...

To those who fear I might be discouraged from participating - thank you for the kind words. I enjoy the discussions here, frustrating though they sometimes are, and will continue to bring my thoughts to party. My opinions as well. ;-)

On the subject of this thread - we had a very pleasant meal at the new Southwark the other night. I think one night a week (maybe Wednesday?) is no corkage. While the appetizers were mixed, all the entrees were quite good, and the wine service was professional and friendly. I would definitely recommend it for a casual BYO meal.

Vinod S.

Philadelphia, PA

#348 Post by Vinod S. » November 2nd, 2016, 7:56 am

I can recommend Russet near the Kimmel Center for BYOB (believe they take care, but check). Also recommend a stop at Monk's Cafe if your a beer person which is just around the corner as well.
Vinod Stalam
Booth 2015

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#349 Post by Kevin Porter » December 16th, 2016, 6:29 am

My wife and I had a very good meal at At the Table (http://atthetablebyob.com/) in Wayne last night. We had the 5 course tasting menu and were very impressed with the variety of flavors and textures. They deftly accommodated her request (provided ahead of time) for vegetarian dishes. She felt that the experience was on par with Vedge (a very high bar). I thoroughly enjoyed veal sweetbreads (offered by the chef after he heard me lament that they weren't on the night's menu); duck breast; waygu; and a great cheese course that they agreed to sub for the dessert (a de-constructed carrot cake that my wife loved).

The service was very good. Stems were heavy but fine (perhaps spiegelau?). It's a very small space - seating perhaps 20? More here - http://www.phillymag.com/restaurant/at-the-table/

Tom Gibson

Philadelphia, PA

#350 Post by Tom Gibson » December 16th, 2016, 9:30 am

I'll be back in Philly (my home city!) for XMas and need to get reacquainted with the BYO scene every year it feels like.

Laurel is already on the books.

I'm not surprised to see Bistro 7 got some negative comments above. I used to live on 3rd, just up from the restaurant, and went probably 2-3 times out of sheer convenience. Every time was a 'meh' experience. Never bad, but always something subpar/bland about the whole thing.

Any lists that show which spots take corkage? Serpico did last I was there a few years ago (and the meal was spectacular).

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”