Philadelphia, PA

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#251 Post by Steve Gautier » December 18th, 2013, 6:37 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:Stuart, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

This week: Ela, Bar Savona, Blackfish (twice), Fleming's, Tacconelli's...
Kevin - I think I now know your Twitter handle. I have always enjoyed your posts and our interaction on Twitter. Steve
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#252 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 23rd, 2013, 8:43 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:Stuart, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

This week: Ela, Bar Savona, Blackfish (twice), Fleming's, Tacconelli's...
Kevin - I think I now know your Twitter handle. I have always enjoyed your posts and our interaction on Twitter. Steve
Damn, my cover is blown.

Actually went to Blackfish 3X last week (mostly work-related holiday lunches). They are doing a nice lunch for the holidays, good burger/fries, amazing fish & chips, and the best potato soup I've ever had (the latter may be a daily special).
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#253 Post by Bob Hughes » December 23rd, 2013, 11:47 am

Kev, checked out Vecchia a couple Sundays ago - my wife and I both agreed it was pretty good pizza for the 'burbs [cheers.gif] .

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#254 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 4th, 2014, 10:47 am

Bob Hughes wrote:Kev, checked out Vecchia a couple Sundays ago - my wife and I both agreed it was pretty good pizza for the 'burbs [cheers.gif] .
Glad you liked it. Dave Kap didn't seem that impressed with their red pie, which isn't my favorite either, but I think he was thrown off by the extremely wet sauce (I guess that is authentic?). It's definitely knife-and-fork, which is how they eat it in Naples I hear (never having been there). Next time try their white pizza with added Sopresatta. That is my favorite (very garlicy). They also do some ridiculous $5 or 2-for-1 Facebook specials of off days.

Where else do you like around Philly? Just tried Tacconelli's for the first time and it was very good, and unique (like a crispy NY-style), but I still prefer Vecchia myself.

The crispy ultra thin crusts at Olce in Skippack are also very good (although I think they tend to be a bit salty with their combination of cheeses).

When is Dave Keh going to organize a Pizza byob dinner? I've been hearing about this for 3 years...
Cheers,
/<evin

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#255 Post by Steve Gautier » January 16th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Just heard that The Orchard in Kennett Square is closed.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#256 Post by Jeff Vaughan » January 17th, 2014, 10:10 am

Steve Gautier wrote:Just heard that The Orchard in Kennett Square is closed.
Really!? My wife won't be happy about that. I thought the food was good there but the ambience is/was a little cold.
CT: outplaying

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#257 Post by Ted Erfer » January 23rd, 2014, 12:25 pm

Had a great Burgundy tasting last night at Pickled Heron in Fishtown. Really great food. Definitely a place you should visit. Tasting menu was as follows:
Housemade Charcuterie (really yummy)
Roasted Mushroom Tart with winter greens
Lamb Osso Bucco, roasted carrots, parisian gnocchi
Warm goat cheese terrine with pomegranate molasses

Everything was delicious. The wine line up was the 2011 Vintage of Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne Romanee.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#258 Post by Jeff Vaughan » January 23rd, 2014, 1:20 pm

Ted, that looked like a good tasting, sorry I missed it. Wednesday's are tough for me. How were the wines?

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#259 Post by Ted Erfer » January 23rd, 2014, 9:17 pm

Jeff: the wine line up was excellent. Started with a $30 Village Pinot Fin and ended up with the top of the hill $$$ wines. Great to taste through them and sense all the different nuances between the vineyards. I really liked the mid-level bottlings.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#260 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 24th, 2014, 5:11 am

Ted, I like The Pickled Herring too the couple of times I've been there. The owners are a charming couple.

Was at Vecchia Pizzeria for an offline in Phoenixville last night (had a rocking good time and the owner treated us very well) and Janella brought the '11 Arnoux Lachaux Vosne Romanée 1er Cru Les Chaumes. It was excellent (I think she said it was $95).
Cheers,
/<evin

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#261 Post by Ted Erfer » January 24th, 2014, 11:25 am

Kevin: The Chaumes was one of the ones that stood out for me as well. I also liked the Nuits St. Georges 1er cru les Proces. Overall, a nice line up.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#262 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 13th, 2014, 7:51 am

Check out The Pass in Rosemont near Lambertville. Absolutely killer BYOB from the owner of PorcSalt (makes the charcuterie for places like Cafe Boulud). LaBan only gave it 2 bells, but the NY Times loved it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/nyreg ... emont.html

http://www.atthepass.com

See my review and photos on Yelp or Facebook.
Cheers,
/<evin

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#263 Post by Steve Gautier » November 10th, 2014, 3:33 pm

We had a wonderful meal at Fork last night. We did the house meal where you get to choose appetizer, pasta, main and dessert. They provide interesting little bites between each course. Service was fantastic - knowledgeable, friendly and around the right amount of time. I thoroughly enjoyed all four courses but the brown butter tart was the highlight. Not surprising since the pastry chef was just honored by Food & Wine. Corkage was $25.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#264 Post by Jeff Vaughan » February 23rd, 2015, 7:36 am

I am thinking about taking the Mrs. to Matyson after the flower market on Tuesday. We've never been. Has anyone been there recently? Still good?

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#265 Post by Ted Erfer » February 27th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:I am thinking about taking the Mrs. to Matyson after the flower market on Tuesday. We've never been. Has anyone been there recently? Still good?
Matyson is still very good, Jeff. Next week's tasting menu looks interesting as well. I think that for the money it is one of the best BYO deals in the city.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#266 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 1st, 2015, 6:19 am

Ted, we ended up going there last night. Ann had the duck/gnocchi appetizer and the tilefish for her meal. I had the soft poached egg/mushroom/greens followed by the duck breast. The meal was delicious. Ann tried my duck and said it was the best she's ever had. Louis was our server and he was great, too. We were celebrating Ann's birthday so for wine we had one of her favorite's - an 04 Saint Prefert Favier Reserve CdP.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#267 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 31st, 2015, 8:30 am

My wife and I and two other couples went to The Twelves in West Grove on Friday night. We hadn't been in quite a while. We've always had nice meals there. In the past the place was crowded on the weekends but this time not terribly so. The service was not great. My meal (halibut, spinach risotto, and broccoli rabe) was very good. My wife was disappointed in her's. The crabcake was cold and it lacked the big lumps of meat it usually had. The wine and company were great, but we are in no hurry to go back, unfortunately.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#268 Post by Robert Broder » May 15th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Tried Trattoria Moma last night for the 2nd time. Located on 7100 block of Germantown Ave. Delicious interesting menu, friendly service, nice stems and fairly priced. Worthwhile byob.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#269 Post by Ted Erfer » May 17th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Tried the BlueCat at 19th and Fairmount. Food with a "Latin Flair." Very good spot - casual, bright, friendly. Great baked goods. Busy on weekends but not too busy on weekdays.

I had an excellent short rib dinner. One of our party had the whole grilled snapper which he said was really good and looked very tasty.

Good service.

www.bluecatphila.com

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#270 Post by Ted Erfer » June 21st, 2015, 9:52 pm

JonCarl from Noord told me a while ago to try Helm. Friends of his opened a 26 seat BYO. Well Craig LaBan just gave them three bells. So it will be full for a while. Will have to try it.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#271 Post by Jeff Vaughan » July 8th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Just got an email that Matyson has closed. Bummer.

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#272 Post by ybarselah » July 10th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:Just got an email that Matyson has closed. Bummer.
wow - that's shocking - always busy. anyone know what happened or future plans?
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#273 Post by Ted Erfer » July 10th, 2015, 9:08 pm

This is what was reported. It is a shame. And it is going to be replaced by a grilled cheese shop.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the- ... losed.html

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#274 Post by Ted Erfer » July 12th, 2015, 6:07 am

This is worth reading - not just about Matyson.

http://foodjunkets.com/2015/07/09/exit- ... yson-byob/

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#275 Post by ybarselah » July 12th, 2015, 6:43 am

tried helm last night - was a "wow" experience. very high end cooking and thought. okay glassware and loud room, but otherwise a very good experience and i really loved the use of ingredients and presentation. will return for sure.
Yaacov (ITB)

ybarselah

Philadelphia, PA

#276 Post by ybarselah » July 12th, 2015, 6:57 am

Ted Erfer wrote:This is worth reading - not just about Matyson.

sad, predictable, and not unique.

but man, don't ever talk to the press if you're going to spout like that.
Yaacov (ITB)

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#277 Post by Ted Erfer » July 12th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Going to Helm on the 30th. Friends reported back that their meal was phenomenal.

Robert Broder

Philadelphia, PA

#278 Post by Robert Broder » July 15th, 2015, 11:22 am

Tired of pretty food, cramped and noisy byobs, small plates and bad service. I was and so we went to Prime Rib to celebrate friend's 67th birthday Sunday evening. Byob with no corkage on Sun. Multi course pre-fixe the month of July. We ordered a la carte. Great service, large room with lots of space between tables, live background music. Very good food that you would expect from a steak house. For me, crab cocktail, prime rib, nice veggies served family style, and good bread. We washed it down with 1 champagne, a nice white burg, and 3 Bordeaux first growths. All 3 couples enjoyed the evening and the change of pace from our usual hangouts.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#279 Post by Ted Erfer » August 3rd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Helm was excellent. Small place but the tables are nicely spaced. A bit noisy but not too bad. Go with 6-8 people and order the family style offer. Chefs bring out some of everything in portions enough to share. Every dish was farm-to-table fresh and delicious. The char and skirt steak were standouts. They are big on fresh veggies. No microgreens or foam. Very good place for a wine dinner.

Albert R

Philadelphia, PA

#280 Post by Albert R » August 3rd, 2015, 3:36 pm

Best non-chain steakhouse? I went to Smith & Woefully Bad about 5 years ago, service was horrible and my steak was not cooked correctly. I went through all 8 pages of this thread and only saw Davio's.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#281 Post by Jeff Vaughan » August 3rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

Brandywine Prime is pretty good. I am not a dry aged fan so I can't comment on that style.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Philadelphia, PA

#282 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » August 4th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Not a big steak lover...and almost never go to them, but....Barclay Prime in the Barclay on Rittenhouse Square is revered by many...and , though it is part of the Stephen Starr "empire", it is not a chain.http://www.yelp.com/biz/barclay-prime-philadelphia

RMolnar

Re: Philadelphia, PA

#283 Post by RMolnar » November 15th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:I went to the Farm and the Fisherman recently and loved it. Inventive food and great service. I would definitely go back.
I'll also share my love for Farm and the Fisherman, which we tried last night. Had pheasant for what I am ashamed to say was the first time--what was I afraid of? It was delicious. Although I am super biased towards anything served with spaetzle. Mmm....
R@chel

Neil Gilmour
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#284 Post by Neil Gilmour » December 30th, 2015, 4:09 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:Some great places everyone needs to try:

Umai (Lansdale): Everyone knows about Blue Fin in East Norriton, but Umai may be even better for BYOB sushi. Just had some amazing Blue Fin otoro there last night.

Le Cheri (Rittenhouse Square): If you like Bibou, you'll like their new sister restaurant in the gorgeous space of former Rittenhouse Tavern. Bigger and more spacious than Bibou, if you've been missing Pierre and Charlotte at Bibou, this is where they are hanging out now. I've BYOBed twice so far, but now they have a liquor license and a $25 corkage. However, their wine list has a very modest markup. A special order guinea hen stuffed with foie gras and parsley was a stunning dish.

Vecchia Pizzeria (Phoenixville): Perhaps the best pizza in the Philly area. I'll let you know for sure after I go to Tacconelli's for the first time next week. BYOB.

The Fat Ham (University City): Kevin Sbraga's new small plates Southern cuisine restaurant. Not BYOB (Ben quoted me $300/bottle!), but we had a remarkable meal sitting at the bar. The hot Hot HOT Chicken is sensational, also the fried oyster sliders.

Laurel (East Passyunk): Top Chef Nicholas Elmi's newly opened French/New American BYOB is a worthy successor to Fond in that much-improved space.

Mistral (Princeton): Casual small plates sister to the legendary Elements, we recently had one of the best meals of the year there. BYOB.

Serpico (South Street): Can't remember what the corkage is, but they also have an interesting small wine list. I'd already rank this as one of the top restaurants in Philly. Completely un-Kevin Starr-ish, so don't worry about that.

Fraschetta (Byrn Mawr): New sister restaurant to Melangrano, I enjoyed my one visit, but would like to go back a second time to see if they've ironed out the wrinkles. BYOB.

Cheers!
Had an excellent dinner at Fraschetta in Bryn Mawr last month. Ate upstairs away from the kitchen and front door where it was much quieter.

Neil Gilmour
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#285 Post by Neil Gilmour » December 30th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Ted Erfer wrote:This is worth reading - not just about Matyson.

Ouch! That is not the way to close any business. There are laws about closing a business and not giving employees 60 day notice but it does not apply to those with under 50 employees.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#286 Post by Ted Erfer » February 7th, 2016, 10:40 am

Several notes: BlueCat in Fairmount closed..too bad, it was good.

Went to 26 North last night. Address is 26 N. 3rd St. It is across the street from Bistro 7. This is fish oriented BYO. One veggie dish and one steak dish. Everything else is fish. I had a fish soup/chowder for appetizer. Then the Pastrami rubbed mahi-mahi. My dishes were very good. Others at the table complained that there was a bit too much salt on the food. My dish was a bit salty but not overly done considering the rub. Noise level was comfortable. Nice place but frankly, food wasn't as good as Bistro across the street -- and a much more limited menu.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#287 Post by cjsavino » March 3rd, 2016, 1:47 pm

Went to Zeppoli in Collingswood, NJ last Saturday. Very small BYO, only seats 35, get an early table or you are waiting for the early diners to leave so you can be seated. We did a three course dinner, I started with a fennel sausage, then a tagliatelli with bottarga, then a swordfish for my main. Overall very pleased, good service and pace for the dinner.
Chris

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#288 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 20th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Just had a 4-day weekend in Philly and enjoyed several meals of note:

1) 8-course beef tasting paired with old-school California cabernet (Monte Bello, Montelena, Dominus), at Blackfish in Conshohocken PA
One of the best meals I've ever had at Blackfish (and I've had a lot!).
Tasting notes: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=127360

2) The Farm & Fisherman, which is sadly closing in a couple of months, so this was my swan song visit to one of my favorite Philly BYOBs
2007 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Inflorescence Blanc de Noirs Cote de Bechalin
1991 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

3) Townsend, one of my favorite Philly restaurants (not BYOB)
Cocktails (best Pimm's Cup I've ever had) and wines by the glass

4) Nan Zhou Hand-Drawn Noodle House in Philly's Chinatown
A really fun, inexpensive place to BYOB.
I don't remember all the wines we had, but I brought a 1989 Couly-Dutheil Chinon Clos de l'Olive

5) Had breakfasts at Talula's Daily and High Street on Market, both of which are excellent
Cheers,
/<evin

Brian Lynch

Philadelphia, PA

#289 Post by Brian Lynch » May 4th, 2016, 10:58 am

I second Kevin's thoughts on Blackfish ^^^

Also was quite pleased last night that Laurel is still living up to its press clippings two year's removed from the Chef's Bravo Top Chef award. There were many notable dishes last night, but the Wagyu add-on course was the best I've ever had. Why travel to Per Se, when you can dine on a par with no corkage and Uber home for $50? You can buy some pretty good Burgs for what you pocket in the delta, too!

Philadelphia, PA

#290 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 4th, 2016, 11:22 am

So, you guys think Laurel is on par with Per Se? I hadn't heard that...but.....if that's the case, at least in your views, it might be something to put on the special occasion list.

I saw Elmi in that documentary on Georges Perrier, but really don't know much about Laurel.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#291 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 5th, 2016, 5:44 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:So, you guys think Laurel is on par with Per Se? I hadn't heard that...but.....if that's the case, at least in your views, it might be something to put on the special occasion list.

I saw Elmi in that documentary on Georges Perrier, but really don't know much about Laurel.
You're familiar with Per Se's recent reputation?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#292 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 5th, 2016, 6:53 am

I've only been to Laurel two or three times (once was opening night, back before it became impossible to get a reservation), and it is certainly very good. The famous "cry on TV" gnocchi was perhaps the best I've ever had. Among my favorite places in Philly, but not necessarily my favorite (hard to choose among so many great restaurants).

I've only been to Per Se once, back I think in 2013, for what was the greatest meal of my life. An order of magnitude beyond any other restaurant in my book, including some other Michelin 3 stars. Based on that one visit, the criticism by Eater and NYT is either 1) complete bunk, or 2) reflecting a big drop-off since 2013. I couldn't say, but I do know people who have been there more recently who think 1) is the case.

So, no, I wouldn't put Laurel in the same league as Per Se. But just like that dish at Blackfish, I'm sure there are dishes at Laurel that are of Per Se caliber.

And I'd take a byob meal at Laurel over ANY byob venue (legal or otherwise) that I've ever been to in Boston. Yes, that is depressing...
Cheers,
/<evin

Philadelphia, PA

#293 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 5th, 2016, 9:45 am

Thanks. Laurel is worth considering it seems.

Phila's BYOB scene can really spoil us.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#294 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 9th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Laurel is a good restaurant, and very good for Philly. Using Per Se as a metaphor for "very top restaurant in the country," so we don't have to discuss its past or present merits or lack thereof, no - Laurel is not on par with Per Se.

I ate there once with friends and enjoyed the meal, though I was quite put off by the attitude. We were greeted with "Good evening. I imagine you have all been eagerly looking forward to dining with us this evening!" The implication being that we were to feel honored to eat there. I don't like it when restaurants get so affected by their popularity and hype that they feel you should be congratulated for scoring a reservation.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#295 Post by Ted Erfer » May 12th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Laurel is a good restaurant, and very good for Philly. Using Per Se as a metaphor for "very top restaurant in the country," so we don't have to discuss its past or present merits or lack thereof, no - Laurel is not on par with Per Se.

I ate there once with friends and enjoyed the meal, though I was quite put off by the attitude. We were greeted with "Good evening. I imagine you have all been eagerly looking forward to dining with us this evening!" The implication being that we were to feel honored to eat there. I don't like it when restaurants get so affected by their popularity and hype that they feel you should be congratulated for scoring a reservation.
Sarah -- is your second paragraph comment about Laurel or Per Se??

And I think Laurel would be a very good restaurant anywhere - not just for Philadelphia.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#296 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 12th, 2016, 5:07 pm

My second paragraph is about Laurel - no need to comment on Per Se in a Philadelphia thread. Their attitude was quite off putting to me and the other three diners in my party.

I enjoyed my meal at Laurel, I just don't think the hype is anything like justified. I can't recall a single dish I ate. It's a nice restaurant, and would be a nice restaurant in any city, but I can name 10 restaurants without thinking much about it in both NY and San Francisco that blow Laurel out of the water without a backward glance, which cost less, are easy to get into, and have no attitude. Philadelphia does not have a developed enough fine dining culture to support restaurants at the highest end. There is terrific food in Philly, but it is not at the highest level of fine dining. First and foremost the quality of ingredients is not there. This is not a criticism - it's the landscape of what's out there. So I think there's "very good" and then there's "very good for Philadelphia." I don't think Laurel would be viewed as anything but a strong neighborhood restaurant in truly first rate dining cities.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#297 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 12th, 2016, 5:36 pm

In defense of Philly, I'd rather eat there than NYC any day when we are talking about the sort of restaurants that Philly does well (small chef-driven restaurants, often BYOB). I've said it before, and I'll say it again I'm sure.

Where have you actually eaten in Philly in the last couple of years Sarah?
Cheers,
/<evin

Sarah Kirschbaum

Philadelphia, PA

#298 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 13th, 2016, 10:02 am

My point wasn't about where one would or should prefer to eat. There's no need to defend Philly, as I wasn't making any kind of a value judgement, just commenting on the kind of dining that exists here versus elsewhere. As I said, Philly has terrific food, and a great BYO culture, it just doesn't have high end food (whether traditional or more chef-driven modern) that can objectively compete with cities that do that it really well. Neither does Los Angeles, which is a great food town, just not one that's been very interested in high end dining. To clarify even further, traditional fine dining isn't my favorite kind either. I wasn't even saying I *wish* Philly had it. Only that we don't.

I've lived here in Philly for the last year and was dating my husband who lives here for two years before that. We mostly cook at home, but go out with some regularity. During the time we've been together, we have eaten at (among others) Vernick, Zahav, Fork, Helm, Bibou, Le Cheri, 26 North, Petruce, Farm and Fisherman, Noord, Village Whiskey, Laurel, Tre Scalini, The Royal Tavern, Cafe Diem (and a bunch of other Vietnamese), Oyster Bar, a couple mediocre sushi places (another thing Philly doesn't currently have, though that I hope will change when Matt and Jesse open Royal Sushi and Isakaya), Marigold, Serpico, Fond, Dandelion, Vedge, Townsend, Vertri, Osteria Vetri, Volver, Pumpkin, Ela, Dmitris, Blackfish (outside Philly, I know, but I mention because you were there the same night, Kevin), Kensington Quarters, Fuji (outside the city, now closed) a half dozen good hole-in-the-wall Mexican places, Nomad Pizza, a bunch of places in Chinatown, Kanella (both old and new locations), Little Fish, Xochitl, and others I'm sure I am not remembering off the top of my head.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#299 Post by Kevin Porter » May 14th, 2016, 5:53 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:During the time we've been together, we have eaten at (among others) Vernick, Zahav, Fork, Helm, Bibou, Le Cheri, 26 North, Petruce, Farm and Fisherman, Noord, Village Whiskey, Laurel, Tre Scalini, The Royal Tavern, Cafe Diem (and a bunch of other Vietnamese), Oyster Bar, a couple mediocre sushi places (another thing Philly doesn't currently have, though that I hope will change when Matt and Jesse open Royal Sushi and Isakaya), Marigold, Serpico, Fond, Dandelion, Vedge, Townsend, Vertri, Osteria Vetri, Volver, Pumpkin, Ela, Dmitris, Blackfish (outside Philly, I know, but I mention because you were there the same night, Kevin), Kensington Quarters, Fuji (outside the city, now closed) a half dozen good hole-in-the-wall Mexican places, Nomad Pizza, a bunch of places in Chinatown, Kanella (both old and new locations), Little Fish, Xochitl, and others I'm sure I am not remembering off the top of my head.
{drops mic; walks off}

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia, PA

#300 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 14th, 2016, 6:00 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:During the time we've been together, we have eaten at (among others) Vernick, Zahav, Fork, Helm, Bibou, Le Cheri, 26 North, Petruce, Farm and Fisherman, Noord, Village Whiskey, Laurel, Tre Scalini, The Royal Tavern, Cafe Diem (and a bunch of other Vietnamese), Oyster Bar, a couple mediocre sushi places (another thing Philly doesn't currently have, though that I hope will change when Matt and Jesse open Royal Sushi and Isakaya), Marigold, Serpico, Fond, Dandelion, Vedge, Townsend, Vertri, Osteria Vetri, Volver, Pumpkin, Ela, Dmitris, Blackfish (outside Philly, I know, but I mention because you were there the same night, Kevin), Kensington Quarters, Fuji (outside the city, now closed) a half dozen good hole-in-the-wall Mexican places, Nomad Pizza, a bunch of places in Chinatown, Kanella (both old and new locations), Little Fish, Xochitl, and others I'm sure I am not remembering off the top of my head.
LOL, you need to be more selective Sarah. Remember, quality over quantity. champagne.gif
Cheers,
/<evin

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”