Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Philadelphia, PA

#451 Post by Lee Barnard » September 21st, 2018, 8:33 am

Bob Hughes wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 1:57 pm
A few of us locals are hitting Andiario for our first excursion with a chef's tasting menu tomorrow night - should be interesting, as we are basically pairing up their food with a selection of French wines. It will be my first time there "off menu" and we submitted our wines to the chef so he could think about pairings, so I'm kind of psyched to see what he comes up with for us.
Bob, how did it go? Looking for an alternative to Talula's Table for a small gathering.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by Bob Hughes » September 21st, 2018, 11:48 am

Lee, this is very comparable to Talula's, both in terms of price & quality. On the downside, you don't have the private room like you would at Talula's, so you're right at a table in the restaurant. On the plus side, the chef really seemed to make an effort here to develop courses that matched the wines, so possibly a little more "cohesion" with the food & wine pairings than you might typically get at Talula's.

We all enjoyed it, and would definitely do this again.

Robert Broder

#453 Post by Robert Broder » October 4th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Went to A Mano Saturday night. Food was very good, but somewhat expensive. Good service, good bread, good glasses. Negatives, noise level and parking. I actually found a spot about 5 blocks away. Tho only spot I saw available. Friends who met us had to park at the lot across the street at $25.00 for the evening. Did not find any other nearby lots. If you live in town, cab or uber suggested. If coming from burbs, good luck! Cash only.

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by Lee Barnard » January 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 7:48 am
Lee Barnard wrote:Has anyone tried Verbena in Kennett? Looks like it opened a few months back.
Lee, we tried it the first week they opened and were very disappointed in the food. We live nearby, and my wife wants to give it another chance, but there are quite a few restaurants nearby that I'd rather go to.
Jeff, in case it isn't too late to save you a second chance, not worth it. Wife still wanted to try because it looked cute (and who is Jeff on Wineberserkers). Atrocious service, dissapointing food. Good wine, but that's the one thing I can control.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#455 Post by Jeff Vaughan » January 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Thanks Lee. Good to know. We haven't been back. I second Bob's recommendation of Andiario. We have had a couple really nice meals there.
CT: outplaying

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#456 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » January 5th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Will byob was quite nice, best duck we’ve had. Bone marrow wasn’t up to Bibou standards but what is? Nice service and handicap accessible. Traffic on Passayunk was nuts the Saturday before Xmas, but I scored a nearby parking space.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#457 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » January 5th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Melagrano had good pasta,but too many kids on Sunday. We do miss the byobs, just not the same in pittsburgh.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#458 Post by Jeff Vaughan » January 11th, 2019, 7:04 am

Speaking of good pasta, what restaurants do you recommend? I'm craving some tajarin with porcini mushrooms, like what you would find in Piemonte.
CT: outplaying

Sarah Kirschbaum

#459 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 11th, 2019, 11:58 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:04 am
Speaking of good pasta, what restaurants do you recommend? I'm craving some tajarin with porcini mushrooms, like what you would find in Piemonte.
I don't think they do classic tajarin, but we always enjoy Tre Scalini for good, non-fancy pasta dishes. The pasta all comes from Talluto's, which is handmade and local, except the gnocchi, which Tre Scaline makes themselves. There's nothing innovative and no attitude, just good, real food in a comfortable setting, with nice people. They can occasionally be a little scattered on service when it's crowded is the only complaint I have. Again, no one would make a road trip to Philly to go to Tre Scalini, but I'm very glad it's here. Disclosure - the owners are good friends of ours. I would not advocate for them if I didn't actually enjoy the food as well.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:04 am
Does anyone know how Le Virtu is doing since Joe Cicala and his wife left?

I will never forget that restaurant thanks to the 40-course, 9 1/2 hour-long "La Panarda" meal we went to there a few years back. I'm still stuffed.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Ted Erfer » May 5th, 2019, 12:32 pm

This is for folks who have enjoyed Chris Kearse's cuisine at Will BYOB. Chris is moving to a slightly larger space at 2nd and Chestnut. Chris told us he would still allow some BYO probably with a corkage. Here are the details from Eater:

Will BYOB, one of Eater Philly’s 38 essential restaurants in the city, will serve its last dish later this spring. Chef-owner Chris Kearse is shutting the doors at the small French-inspired eatery on East Passyunk Avenue to head to Old City, where he plans to open a bigger French restaurant called Forsythia. It’s going into what was Capofitto.

Kearse debuted Will (1911 East Passyunk Avenue) in 2012 after honing his skills at notable spots Alinea, Tru, and Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago, French Laundry in northern California, and Lacroix and Pumpkin in Philly. The restaurant uses seasonal, locally sourced ingredients for a menu that changes almost daily. Its last day is June 2, Philly Mag reports.

Forsythia is slated to open August 24 at 233 Chestnut Street. Capofitto, a pizza and gelato destination, was part of the Capogiro group, which closed all locations late last year.

Will’s GM Ben Jensen-Rosen is moving over to Forsythia, which Philly Mag reports will have space for 60 diners, a full bar, and a French menu.

awilliamson4

#462 Post by awilliamson4 » June 6th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Andiario in West Chester, PA allows corkage at $10 per bottle.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by Kevin Porter » June 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm

awilliamson4 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Thanks - I was going to ask if I could ever get a reservation.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#464 Post by Steve Gautier » June 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Kevin Porter wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm
awilliamson4 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Thanks - I was going to ask if I could ever get a reservation.
Tough short term reservation even on a weeknight but well worth the wait.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”