Orange County, CA

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Jim Slatin

Orange County, CA

#101 Post by Jim Slatin » April 15th, 2013, 10:27 pm

we went to Park Avenue with another couple and brought one special bottle. We were told by the hostess that it wasn't allowed and that she could hold the bottle for us. It was as if they didn't trust the customer to even keep it in hand. Even after telling them that we were going to order a white and another red we saw on the wine list, they still didn't let us open the special wine for my friends b-day. I can understand a limit on bottles or laughing at those that bring in grocery store wines, but I think it's a big mistake to not allow people to bring in a special bottle for a special occasion, especially when we explained we were going to order 2 more bottles from the list. When so many good places allow BYOB in Orange county, it's a mistake in my opinion. I have already heard from 3 other friends that will not go back for this reason.

Jim Slatin

Orange County, CA

#102 Post by Jim Slatin » April 15th, 2013, 10:30 pm

by the way, Rosine's in Anaheim Hills does it right. No corkage if your order a bottle from the list. Plus his prices are very reasonable.

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#103 Post by Paul L i n » April 16th, 2013, 9:48 am

I recall receiving a curt email newsletter from Park Avenue regarding their decision to disallow BYO. It was so off-putting that I have not returned since. I like their food, but there are too many good restaurants out there that allow, even welcome, BYO, and I'd rather patronize those establishments instead.

Jason Hagen

Orange County, CA

#104 Post by Jason Hagen » April 16th, 2013, 9:57 am

I must say I have no interest to know anything about Park Avenue. Pathetic.
Jim Slatin wrote:by the way, Rosine's in Anaheim Hills does it right. No corkage if your order a bottle from the list. Plus his prices are very reasonable.
Also, I consider it perhaps the best & most interesting list in OC. Hagoop has a great palate and gets some great finds.

Jason

Jim Slatin

Orange County, CA

#105 Post by Jim Slatin » April 16th, 2013, 9:33 pm

plus Hagoop and his family along with his staff are awesomely good people. And the menu that Mama rosine has come up with is the bomb.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Orange County, CA

#106 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 1st, 2013, 9:26 pm

Does anyone know if Fratello's is still $0 corkage?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

andy velebil

Orange County, CA

#107 Post by andy velebil » May 26th, 2013, 9:52 am

Last couple times at Steakhouse 55 (Disney Convention Center) no corkage. But I also gave the Som some wine and old Ports to try :)

Oh, and a really good steakhouse too.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Art K u o

Orange County, CA

#108 Post by Art K u o » May 29th, 2013, 1:36 pm

a'roma ristorante (la palma) has $15 corkage...
they are also able to sell the bottles on their wine list at a discount (i believe 40% off their wine list pricing)
i was able to cop 2 bottles of 08 opus one at $160/btl last time... might go back for their insignia next time :P
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

Phillip F r a n k s
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#109 Post by Phillip F r a n k s » July 19th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Free Corkage right now at Patina Group Restaurants (Catal, Pinot Provence)

http://www.patinagroup.com/west/wines/
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#110 Post by Frank Murray III » October 12th, 2013, 8:31 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Does anyone know if Fratello's is still $0 corkage?
No. We went there recently and they charged. Since I don't go there much any more, Frenchie, I didn't push it. I think Robo may have got a few waived but they did charge us for some of them (we had about 5 or 6 on the table).
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#111 Post by JKim » October 20th, 2013, 7:51 am

Anjin (Costa Mesa) $10.
Joe

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#112 Post by Paul L i n » November 15th, 2013, 6:43 pm

ARC Food & Libations (Costa Mesa) offers free corkage (1 bottle per couple). Not sure how much they charge per extra bottle though.

Phillip F r a n k s
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#113 Post by Phillip F r a n k s » November 18th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Paul L i n wrote:ARC Food & Libations (Costa Mesa) offers free corkage (1 bottle per couple). Not sure how much they charge per extra bottle though.
Actually had a very high quality meal there last night. By far the best showing thus far.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#114 Post by Paul L i n » November 18th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Phillip F r a n k s wrote:
Paul L i n wrote:ARC Food & Libations (Costa Mesa) offers free corkage (1 bottle per couple). Not sure how much they charge per extra bottle though.
Actually had a very high quality meal there last night. By far the best showing thus far.
We had a very good lunch there last week. That burger is insane. Btw did you catch their corkage on additional bottles? They waived ours on the three bottles we brought in because "You said $0 over the phone."

jdietz

Orange County, CA

#115 Post by jdietz » November 18th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Paul L i n wrote:
Phillip F r a n k s wrote:
We had a very good lunch there last week. That burger is insane. Btw did you catch their corkage on additional bottles? They waived ours on the three bottles we brought in because "You said $0 over the phone."
We also argued that we WERE three couples, though our partners were not in attendance, and thus should be granted the "1 bottle/couple" exemption.

Maj. Franks, the food was very good, not just the burger, but also their interpretation of a Cubano sandwich. And the beer place across the way, Iron Press, is a nice stop after eating.
Cheers, James

DTB

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#116 Post by Andre M » November 21st, 2013, 10:53 am

JKim wrote:Anjin (Costa Mesa) $10.
Nice. I thougt it was $15, but I won't complain if they drop it to $10.
A M u l y o n o

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#117 Post by JKim » January 11th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Selanne Steak Tavern in Laguna Beach. $20 per. Teemu's new restaurant, been open for only a couple months. Took over what used to be the old French 75. Place looks awesome. Starters were fantastic. Steaks, not so much, which is a shame since that's what they're supposed to specialize in.
Joe

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#118 Post by Paul L i n » January 14th, 2014, 6:44 am

Fig & Olive charges $35 for the first bottle, $45 for each subsequent bottle. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, but the food and service need work.
Last edited by Paul L i n on January 14th, 2014, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Hagen

Orange County, CA

#119 Post by Jason Hagen » January 14th, 2014, 7:45 am

Paul L i n wrote:Fig & Olive charges $35 for the first bottle, $45 for each subsequent bottle. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, but the food and service needs work.
Yikes. But since they only do a 150%-200% mark up, why would you need to bring your own wine [wow.gif] Looks like a pass for me.

J

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#120 Post by Paul L i n » January 14th, 2014, 8:11 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
Paul L i n wrote:Fig & Olive charges $35 for the first bottle, $45 for each subsequent bottle. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, but the food and service needs work.
Yikes. But since they only do a 150%-200% mark up, why would you need to bring your own wine [wow.gif] Looks like a pass for me.

J
I see a 300-350% markup on the wines I looked at. But there are some "deals." The 2000 Krug is $495 for example.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#121 Post by Frank Murray III » February 1st, 2014, 10:28 am

Cork changed at 370 Common. Now $15 each, max of two (from zero, only one). I don't mind the change, as before with only one bottle, for say 4 people, it didn't pencil. Now, 2 couples can each bring a bottle and share the wines and cover a reasonable cork fee.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

bweimer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#122 Post by bweimer » February 5th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Orange Hill Restaurant is $25 per bottle.
Bruce Weimer

Art K u o

Orange County, CA

#123 Post by Art K u o » February 10th, 2014, 6:40 am

went to playground friday night in santa ana
free corkage and very good food... incluing a dish titled ???? ????
supposedly they only allow you to be there for 2 hrs/reservation. but perhaps having one of the later reservations made it ok to stay longer....
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Orange County, CA

#124 Post by c fu » February 19th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Art K u o wrote:went to playground friday night in santa ana
supposedly they only allow you to be there for 2 hrs/reservation. but perhaps having one of the later reservations made it ok to stay longer....
we always stay past 2 hours. it's no big deal
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#125 Post by Jay Selman » March 10th, 2014, 10:23 am

R. del Rosario wrote: I've posted it here and will volunteer as thread captain to keep it updated.

Black Sheep Bistro - may have CLOSED? -Yes, it is closed
Marche Moderne - $15 - Correction $15 for 1st bottle $25 for 2nd bottle Limit 2 per table
Traditions (Tustin) - $10 - Closed. Now - Indian Kitchen

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#126 Post by Paul L i n » April 21st, 2014, 2:33 pm

Shuck in Costa Mesa is corkage free at the moment. It's owned by the same guys who run ARC Libations, which limits free corkage to just 1 bottle per couple.

Paul Klevgard

Re: Orange County, CA

#127 Post by Paul Klevgard » April 24th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Paul Klevgard wrote:Note: Tradition by Pascal charges $10 corkage for a half bottle. As noted, $20 for a full bottle.

Paul
Both Tradition and Brasserie Pascal (same owner) are closed.
For $10 corkage and free parking try Bistro Bleu in Anaheim: http://bistrobleudining.com/
See review: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/frie ... salad.html
Great Yelp reviews, mostly 5 stars: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-bleu-anaheim-2

Paul

Paul Klevgard

Orange County, CA

#128 Post by Paul Klevgard » April 24th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Jim Slatin wrote:we went to Park Avenue with another couple and brought one special bottle. We were told by the hostess that it wasn't allowed and that she could hold the bottle for us. It was as if they didn't trust the customer to even keep it in hand. Even after telling them that we were going to order a white and another red we saw on the wine list, they still didn't let us open the special wine for my friends b-day. I can understand a limit on bottles or laughing at those that bring in grocery store wines, but I think it's a big mistake to not allow people to bring in a special bottle for a special occasion, especially when we explained we were going to order 2 more bottles from the list. When so many good places allow BYOB in Orange county, it's a mistake in my opinion. I have already heard from 3 other friends that will not go back for this reason.
We went (six people total) with many bottles. My friend forgot to inquire. They refused to allow us to open any bottles (which were high end). We left and went to 555 Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach for a great dinner at no corkage. Park Ave. lost a $700 bill. They sure are smart? [shock.gif]

Paul

Jason Hagen

Orange County, CA

#129 Post by Jason Hagen » April 25th, 2014, 8:10 am

Paul Klevgard wrote:
Jim Slatin wrote:we went to Park Avenue with another couple and brought one special bottle. We were told by the hostess that it wasn't allowed and that she could hold the bottle for us. It was as if they didn't trust the customer to even keep it in hand. Even after telling them that we were going to order a white and another red we saw on the wine list, they still didn't let us open the special wine for my friends b-day. I can understand a limit on bottles or laughing at those that bring in grocery store wines, but I think it's a big mistake to not allow people to bring in a special bottle for a special occasion, especially when we explained we were going to order 2 more bottles from the list. When so many good places allow BYOB in Orange county, it's a mistake in my opinion. I have already heard from 3 other friends that will not go back for this reason.
We went (six people total) with many bottles. My friend forgot to inquire. They refused to allow us to open any bottles (which were high end). We left and went to 555 Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach for a great dinner at no corkage. Park Ave. lost a $700 bill. They sure are smart? [shock.gif]

Paul
So lame. As stated before, I have zero interest in going to Park Avenue.

Jason

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#130 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 2:45 am

Bistango - $18
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#131 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 2:50 am

Sushi Noguchi - $16

If you buy your wine from OC Wine Mart (Irvine or Yorba Linda), corkage fee is waived. Just bring your receipt.

You'll need wine with the sushi, for it is quite meh. Sorry, James. [tease.gif]
curt1S ch3N

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#132 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 2:53 am

Capital Grille - $25
Morton's the Steakhouse (Santa Ana) - $25
Last edited by C Chen on May 7th, 2014, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
curt1S ch3N

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#133 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 2:55 am

Charlie Fu wrote:
Art K u o wrote:went to playground friday night in santa ana
we always stay past 2 hours. it's no big deal
At worst, they'll just move you to their outdoor patio. That's what they did to a friend and me, but most of our party had already left anyways.
curt1S ch3N

jdietz

Orange County, CA

#134 Post by jdietz » May 7th, 2014, 8:13 am

Curtis C wrote:Sushi Noguchi - $16

If you buy your wine from OC Wine Mart (Irvine or Yorba Linda), corkage fee is waived. Just bring your receipt.

So, where do you go in the OC for sushi, then, big guy?
Cheers, James

DTB

Jason Hagen

Orange County, CA

#135 Post by Jason Hagen » May 7th, 2014, 9:04 am

jdietz wrote:

Went to Noguchi last week. I forgot about the OC Wine Mart deal. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you are joking about the Sushi being meh. Head and shoulders above anything I am aware of in the immediate area. I mean you can get a terrific piece of fish that is not deep fried, topped with mayonnaise and finished in a pool of ponzu. [wow.gif]

Jason

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#136 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 11:09 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
jdietz wrote:

Went to Noguchi last week. I forgot about the OC Wine Mart deal. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you are joking about the Sushi being meh. Head and shoulders above anything I am aware of in the immediate area. I mean you can get a terrific piece of fish that is not deep fried, topped with mayonnaise and finished in a pool of ponzu. [wow.gif]

Jason
The first time I went to Noguchi, I enjoyed it. As for my subsequent visits, they were a bit lackluster. I mean, just look at the bluefin tuna I got last week. Stringy, poorly presented, and tasted as boring as it looked.

I prefer Nana San and Sushi Koto (not in immediate area, as Noguchi requires a special trip for me). Noguchi's food and decor feel more minimalist, so I can get why people like it. To each their own! [cheers.gif]
curt1S ch3N

C Chen

Orange County, CA

#137 Post by C Chen » May 7th, 2014, 11:30 am

Oh! James, there's a 29 course meal for $150 at Sushi Zo in LA. So, 29 pieces of sushi or hand rolls. I hear it puts almost all other sushi joints to shame and it's actually a really good value.

Something to look into, because I sure am :D
curt1S ch3N

Jason Hagen

Orange County, CA

#138 Post by Jason Hagen » May 8th, 2014, 10:30 am

Curtis C wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:

Jason
The first time I went to Noguchi, I enjoyed it. As for my subsequent visits, they were a bit lackluster. I mean, just look at the bluefin tuna I got last week. Stringy, poorly presented, and tasted as boring as it looked.

I prefer Nana San and Sushi Koto (not in immediate area, as Noguchi requires a special trip for me). Noguchi's food and decor feel more minimalist, so I can get why people like it. To each their own! [cheers.gif]
That fish does not look too attractive. I admit I have had a few dishes that were on the boring or out of balance side but I haven't yet run into a bad piece of fish. Although I don't go there too often. Too hard on my pocket book.

Jason

Paul L i n

Orange County, CA

#139 Post by Paul L i n » May 21st, 2014, 6:06 pm

Pizzeria Mozza - $30, two bottle limit, waived with purchase.

Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#140 Post by Steve Anderson » July 2nd, 2014, 11:38 pm

Vine (San Clemente) - $20, waived with a purchase off the list.
Delectable: Steve Anderson IG: steveandmisuk

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#141 Post by alan weinberg » December 21st, 2014, 9:59 am

$30 at Oak Grill in Island Hotel, former restaurant named Pavilion. Irritated me so I didn't open the wine I brought and ordered tap water. Ordinary meal, too, though a good lobster Cobb. Won't return and plan on a Yelp complaint re corkage.

H.Y. S e o

Orange County, CA

#142 Post by H.Y. S e o » December 22nd, 2014, 10:21 am

Looks like Mastros Costa Mesa charges for $35/btl :(
Han Young Seo

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#143 Post by Bob Hoelting » April 2nd, 2015, 7:46 pm

Who Song & Larry's at Stadium Promenade. - zero charge

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#144 Post by Andre M » July 31st, 2015, 11:58 pm

Reunion kitchen (Anaheim Hills) free corkage up to 6 bottles, $15 ea after that.

Andrei's is free corkage on Mondays and Tuesdays
A M u l y o n o

bweimer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#145 Post by bweimer » August 12th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Zov's Anaheim - $15 (waived Sunday and Monday).

Good location for pre-concert (City National Grove of Anaheim) dinner. You can park in their lot (validated) and leave the car there as it is a short walk to the Grove.
Bruce Weimer

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#146 Post by alan weinberg » January 17th, 2016, 8:35 pm

King's Fish House at Stadium Promenade--free corkage. Don't know if it applies chain-wide but Muscadet and oysters were great tonight.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#147 Post by SeanHarding » January 23rd, 2016, 7:52 pm

The Ranch in Anaheim. $25/bottle.

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#148 Post by Bob Hoelting » February 9th, 2016, 7:44 am

OC Mining Company. Started with a bottle in the bar and it was $15. Then moved to dining room with another bottle and it was $10. Not sure if that's the actual policy or just a server's mistake.

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

Orange County, CA

#149 Post by Bob Hoelting » April 13th, 2016, 11:56 am

Seasons 52 at South Coast Plaza - $15
Silver Trumpet across from Segerstrom Ctr - $25

Both allow you to remain parked while attending events at nearby venues.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Orange County, CA

#150 Post by Todd F r e n c h » April 13th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Rocco's in San Clemente is $15 - well worth it, as their wine list is pretty suspect, but Rocco's a good chef.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”