Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Washington DC

#201 Post by Greg K » February 4th, 2019, 11:42 am

NoahR wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:50 am
Reverie in georgetown allows corkage and is very wine friendly. I can’t remember if they charged me, but it was nothing outrageous. Excellent food, and a geeky-cool wine list.
That duck is phenomenal. I believe their policy is that the first bottle is free and after that it's maybe $40?
Greg Kahn

NoahR

#202 Post by NoahR » March 4th, 2019, 8:48 am

Just FYI, there was another thread on whether you can double decant and bring a previously opened bottle into a DC restaurant. This is the official guidance from ABRA!

Dear Noah,

Nothing prohibits you, as a customer, from pre-decanting a beverage at home, returning it to the bottle, and resealing it for use at a licensed establishment that allows corkage or BYOB.

Please note that the bottle should be resealed before you go out because having an open container in a vehicle or in public may violate the District's prohibition on open containers. Moreover, please be aware that an establishment cannot return a bottle to the customer once the establishment opens it.

The official corkage regulation is below for your reference:

717. CORKING FEE
717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on-premises retailer's license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.
717.2 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall be permitted to charge a corking fee provided that the corking fee is disclosed to the patron prior to the opening of the alcoholic beverage.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Berman
Assistant General Counsel
Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

*For additional assistance, questions, comments, or concerns, please call ABRA at 202-442-4423 or reply to this email.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

etomasi

#203 Post by etomasi » March 4th, 2019, 6:35 pm

The Dabney. $30/bottle. Max 2 bottles per party. Not good for large groups, but really great food.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by scott c » March 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

NoahR wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 8:48 am
Just FYI, there was another thread on whether you can double decant and bring a previously opened bottle into a DC restaurant. This is the official guidance from ABRA!

Dear Noah,

Nothing prohibits you, as a customer, from pre-decanting a beverage at home, returning it to the bottle, and resealing it for use at a licensed establishment that allows corkage or BYOB.

Please note that the bottle should be resealed before you go out because having an open container in a vehicle or in public may violate the District's prohibition on open containers. Moreover, please be aware that an establishment cannot return a bottle to the customer once the establishment opens it.

717. CORKING FEE
717.1 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license may permit a patron to bring to and consume on the licensed premises an alcoholic beverage that the licensee is permitted to sell or serve under its on-premises retailer's license; provided that the alcoholic beverage is opened by an employee of the establishment, However, the holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall not permit any alcoholic beverage opened on the licensed premises to be removed from the licensed premises.
717.2 The holder of an on-premises retailer's license shall be permitted to charge a corking fee provided that the corking fee is disclosed to the patron prior to the opening of the alcoholic beverage.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Berman

*For additional assistance, questions, comments, or concerns, please call ABRA at 202-442-4423 or reply to this email.
So...every time I've asked for a wine that I've purchased off the list and not finished to be corked up and placed in a bag for me to take home, the restaurant has been breaking the law? Or does that only apply to BYO'd bottles?
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

NoahR

#205 Post by NoahR » March 11th, 2019, 11:04 am

scott c wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:57 am
NoahR wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 8:48 am

Dear Noah,

717. CORKING FEE

Sincerely,

Jonathan Berman

So...every time I've asked for a wine that I've purchased off the list and not finished to be corked up and placed in a bag for me to take home, the restaurant has been breaking the law? Or does that only apply to BYO'd bottles?
(A) Good question! No Clue! Ask ABRA - they responded to me within a day

(B) Shame on you and Lily for not finishing the bottle! ;)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Jay $$ Winton » March 11th, 2019, 11:16 am

I'm pretty sure in DC if you bring a bottle in, you have to finish it as taking it out of the restaurant partially consumed breaks the law.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by scott c » March 11th, 2019, 11:52 am

NoahR wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 11:04 am
scott c wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:57 am

(A) Good question! No Clue! Ask ABRA - they responded to me within a day

(B) Shame on you and Lily for not finishing the bottle! ;)
(A) Nah. Never ask a question you don't want to know the answer to!
(B) Fair point!
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Jeff Bloom » March 27th, 2019, 10:35 am

Doesn't appear anyone has posted on Centrolina yet. $25 a bottle. Very good food in an upscale casual setting.

etomasi

#209 Post by etomasi » May 3rd, 2019, 8:19 pm

Mari Vanna in DC. $40/btl
---
Eric Tomasi

etomasi

#210 Post by etomasi » June 6th, 2019, 11:42 am

Pappe Indian Restaurant on 14th. $25/btl. Not sure of maximum.
---
Eric Tomasi

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”