Washington DC

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Randall McFarlane

Washington DC

#151 Post by Randall McFarlane » May 1st, 2015, 8:04 am

Anyone know if the Capella Hotel's Grill Room--Frank Ruta's new effort--allows BYO, and if so, for what corkage?

PaulM

Washington DC

#152 Post by PaulM » May 1st, 2015, 11:22 am

Randy, 99% sure yes - Kevin has organized OLs there. Don't know the normal fee.
M a r q u a r d t

Randall McFarlane

Washington DC

#153 Post by Randall McFarlane » May 1st, 2015, 12:30 pm

Thanks, Paul. The pre-Ruta OL I went to there with Kevin, you and some other folks was very enjoyable--I figure the experience only could be improved with the arrival of FR.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#154 Post by scott c » May 8th, 2015, 11:48 am

Randall McFarlane wrote:Thanks, Paul. The pre-Ruta OL I went to there with Kevin, you and some other folks was very enjoyable--I figure the experience only could be improved with the arrival of FR.
Corkage allowed, yes. Call and talk to Keith, the MS now in charge. I don't know the fee. I've been there 3 times since Frank started cooking and each time it was amazing. However, two of the three times a friend of the restaurant organized the wine dinner and got corkage waived, so I don't know what they do for everyone else. The third time we ordered off the list.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#155 Post by doug johnson » May 10th, 2015, 9:06 am

Finally made it to Crane and Turtle. Excellent and unique. $25 byo.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#156 Post by doug johnson » May 17th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Kao Thai in Silver Spring.

$15 BYO. NB: they don't have high quality glasses if that is a concern.

I think their food is better and more balanced than Little Serow!

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#157 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 17th, 2015, 7:28 pm

a great meal at Billy Sud in Georgetown. $25 corkage waived if you buy a bottle off their list. They are expanding and are interested in hosting wine dinners. We sat out on the patio before some jazz at Blues Alley. A really fun evening!
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

PaulM

Washington DC

#158 Post by PaulM » May 19th, 2015, 8:16 am

doug johnson wrote:Finally made it to Crane and Turtle. Excellent and unique. $25 byo.
+1. Look at the menu before you go - not the easiest to match (but you will want to BYO).
M a r q u a r d t

Art K u o

Washington DC

#159 Post by Art K u o » June 24th, 2015, 8:56 am

just had dinner at partisan.... good food and interesting wine list, but i would suggest going with a larger group since they have plenty of items that are for 2-4 people....

would love to do a dinner there where we drink some of the older stuff on the list, like that 1952 rioja....
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

J. Migone

Washington DC

#160 Post by J. Migone » August 18th, 2015, 11:46 am

$35 seems crazy to me and just there to make sure you spend the crazy mark ups at their wine. I boycott or drink water at such places, unless I find something without a 100% markup. Find a place with reasonably priced wines and you will find a reasonable corkage fee.
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

PaulM

Washington DC

#161 Post by PaulM » September 1st, 2015, 9:35 am

J. Migone wrote:$35 seems crazy to me and just there to make sure you spend the crazy mark ups at their wine. I boycott or drink water at such places, unless I find something without a 100% markup. Find a place with reasonably priced wines and you will find a reasonable corkage fee.
It's your money, and you should spend it as you like. Personally, though, I expect good wine service, I know that lingering over a bottle means they don't turn the table as quickly, and I know most restaurant owners aren't getting rich and rely on beverages for much of their income. I'm ok with paying $35 in a nice place - I drink better wine, they make what they would have made for serving me a bottle off the list that runs, say, $15-20 wholesale, and everybody's better off. I certainly would rather have corkage at $35 than no corkage.
M a r q u a r d t

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#162 Post by scott c » September 2nd, 2015, 7:28 am

Paul Marquardt wrote:
J. Migone wrote:$35 seems crazy to me and just there to make sure you spend the crazy mark ups at their wine. I boycott or drink water at such places, unless I find something without a 100% markup. Find a place with reasonably priced wines and you will find a reasonable corkage fee.
It's your money, and you should spend it as you like. Personally, though, I expect good wine service, I know that lingering over a bottle means they don't turn the table as quickly, and I know most restaurant owners aren't getting rich and rely on beverages for much of their income. I'm ok with paying $35 in a nice place - I drink better wine, they make what they would have made for serving me a bottle off the list that runs, say, $15-20 wholesale, and everybody's better off. I certainly would rather have corkage at $35 than no corkage.
+1
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#163 Post by Alicia C. » September 2nd, 2015, 8:27 am

Well, *THIS* could be fun to explore... [cheers.gif]

http://dc.eater.com/2015/9/2/9244273/pr ... e-lists-dc
The team behind Proof, Estadio, Doi Moi and 2 Birds 1 Stone is launching a wine promotion at their restaurants this week.

Each restaurant has a different wine list that they'll offer at a 50 percent discount on various nights of the week. The deal will be available at Proof on Sunday, Estadio on Monday, Doi Moi on Tuesday and 2 birds 1 Stone on Wednesday.

The offerings are more elaborate than one might find on a typical half-priced wine night.Proof will offer the largest discounted list. With over 100 bottles, it includes a range of choices like Pontet-Canet, Pauillac 1996 for $137.50 (down from $275) to a Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc 2013, a Russian River Valley, for $42.50 (down from $85).

The promotion starts this Sunday night at Proof and lasts through the end of the year. Thanks to the Labor Day weekend, Proof and Estadio will both offer the discount on Monday. After that, Proof will return to the Sunday-only schedule.
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

doug johnson

Washington DC

#164 Post by doug johnson » October 28th, 2015, 11:30 am

$25 at Garrison. Pretty good food, too.

NoahR

Washington DC

#165 Post by NoahR » November 5th, 2015, 8:28 pm

$30 at Range. Also, if you like SQN, they had the 2012's at $275 off the quite good list.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#166 Post by Jay $$ Winton » February 8th, 2016, 9:51 am

$20pb at Jaleo-Bethesda and very receptive to corkage. Good stemware and decanting offered without my asking-big points in my book!

doug johnson

Washington DC

#167 Post by doug johnson » April 24th, 2016, 8:53 am

$15 at Thip Kao.

Wine list is not much, but pretty interesting beer and cocktail selection.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#168 Post by doug johnson » May 28th, 2016, 9:48 pm

$20 at Espita Mezcaleria - food was OK.
$25 at Kapnos Kouzina - food was very good.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#169 Post by Jay $$ Winton » July 11th, 2016, 11:51 am

Last night, we had dinner at the newly opened Kingbird in the Watergate Hotel following Second City at the Kennedy Center. While we enjoyed the food and attentive service, the extensive list of young wines is clearly priced to the 0.5%. I think given the location, which is a tough sell for dining in DC, they might want to rethink this by offering a reserve and more moderately priced regular list. $50 corkage pb. Cool space though.

etomasi

Washington DC

#170 Post by etomasi » July 23rd, 2016, 5:42 pm

Corkage from a few places

Masseria - $50 Corkage
Pineapples & Pearls - $0 if you do the table - not sure if this is still the case.
Bistro d'oc - $15 (restaurant now closed)
Last edited by etomasi on March 4th, 2019, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#171 Post by scott c » July 28th, 2016, 4:54 am

This is a pretty comprehensive list:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/washing ... hington-dc
c 1 @ f f e e

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#172 Post by Jay $$ Winton » July 28th, 2016, 9:35 am

scott c wrote:This is a pretty comprehensive list:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/washing ... hington-dc
DBGB told me no corkage period. Helps keep their list overpriced I guess.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#173 Post by doug johnson » July 28th, 2016, 12:23 pm

2 additions to Thrillist -

Banana Leaf (sri lankan, cheap and good) - zero $.

Lapis - $15. Going there Friday so not sure about the food.

NoahR

Washington DC

#174 Post by NoahR » July 28th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Tail Up Goat - phenomenal and inventive food. Cool and quite geeky wine list full of well-priced orange wines, alternative sparklers and knowledgeable wine staff who are genuinely excited about their list. No corkage though. It's a damn shame - would be a great place for a wine dinner...
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#175 Post by scott c » July 29th, 2016, 8:24 am

NoahR wrote:Tail Up Goat - phenomenal and inventive food. Cool and quite geeky wine list full of well-priced orange wines, alternative sparklers and knowledgeable wine staff who are genuinely excited about their list. No corkage though. It's a damn shame - would be a great place for a wine dinner...
I'm actually headed there tonight, and yeah, the no corkage is bumming me out. We've been in touch with the owner and it is an absolute policy. I doubt Michelle Obama would be allowed to BYO there.
c 1 @ f f e e

etomasi

Washington DC

#176 Post by etomasi » September 8th, 2016, 10:45 am

Eater just updated locations with free corkage on certain days.
http://dc.eater.com/2014/11/17/7218039/ ... e-policies

In case they take it down its.

Alexandria Restaurant Group is generous with waiving fees, offering the deal at all its local restaurants any night of the week. Other fine dining destinations are more choosey; 1789 only lets wine connoisseurs pop for free on Tuesdays.

Free corkage policies are an excellent way to save money on a meal out, or have the chance to finally drink a special bottle of wine that's been waiting for a worthy meal. But diners should always keep corkage etiquette in mind whether or not they're paying for the privilege: offer the sommelier a taste, don't bring something on the list and consider buying some wine from the restaurant as well.

1789 Restaurant (1226 36th St. NW)

The reopened Georgetown staple has a wine cellar with almost 200 different wines, but corkage fees are waived on Tuesdays for oenophiles with their own collection.

Alexandria Restaurant Group (four Northern Virginia locations)

All of the group's local restaurants (Palette 22 in Shirlington, Lena's Wood-Fired Pizza & Tap in Del Rey, Virtue Feed & Grain in Alexandria, and The Majestic in Old Town) all offer free corkage every night of the week, with a two-bottle limit.

Belga Cafe (514 8th St. SE)

Enjoy free corkage on Wednesdays at this Barrack's Row Belgian spot. There's a two-bottle limit.

B Too (1324 14th St. NW)
Chef Bart Vandaele's Logan Circle location waives corkage on Monday nights, with a two-bottle limit.

Cafe du Parc (1401 Pennsylvania Ave NW)
Corkage is free on Mondays at this restaurant inside the Willard Intercontinental Hotel.

Cedar (822 E St. NW)
Corkage is free on Mondays.

Charlie Palmer Steak (101 Constitution Ave NW)
American wines get free corkage Monday through Thursday and Saturday, with a limit of two bottles per table. On Fridays, the policy is widened to include foreign wines.

Daily Grill (multiple locations)
Members of the restaurants preferred guest program can take advantage of free corkage (except during happy hour) with a limit of one bottle per couple.

Dino's Grotto (1914 9th St. NW)
The Shaw reincarnation of Dino restaurant offers free corkage on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays.

Farmers Fishers Bakers (3000 K St. NW)
Enjoy free corkage on a maximum of one bottle per table and long as the wine isn't available for sale at the restaurant.

Founding Farmers (1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW)
All Founding Farmers locations allow free corkage for one bottle per party, provided the wine is not offered on the restaurant's current wine list.

Le Chat Noir (4907 Wisconsin Ave NW)
Sunday night is free corkage night at this Tenleytown bistro.

Le Grenier (502 H St NE)
This French restaurant advertises free corkage on Sunday nights.

Macon Bistro and Larder (5520 Connecticut Ave NW)
This Chevy Chase newcomer waives their $20 corkage fee if the table orders the second bottle of wine from their list.

Mandu (1805 18th St NW)
This Korean restaurant will open a party's first bottle free of charge.

Rural Society (1177 15th St NW)
Jose Garces' Washington restaurant offers unlimited free corkage each Sunday night.

Table (903 N St NW)
This farm-to-table restaurant in Shaw rewards early bird diners with free corkage every night it's open between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (and every fourth Thursday from 5 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. get a glass on the house).
---
Eric Tomasi

doug johnson

Washington DC

#177 Post by doug johnson » November 30th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Conosci (and Alta Strada) - $25.

Conosci was pretty good.

Mark O.

Washington DC

#178 Post by Mark O. » December 1st, 2016, 11:20 pm

ate at Osteria Morini at the Capitol Riverfront/Natsland recently and their Italian food was fantastico. corkage at $25. no sommelier so I offered a taste to the waiter. wine list there has all the Italian region basics covered.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#179 Post by doug johnson » February 25th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Himitisu and Kobo - both $35. Himitsu had some interesting bottles priced not too exorbitantly so I ordered off the list there.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#180 Post by Jeff Bloom » May 3rd, 2017, 6:41 am

Mirabelle - reportedly $35 (I haven't been yet but am going next week)

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#181 Post by Alicia C. » May 3rd, 2017, 7:35 am

Jeff Bloom wrote:Mirabelle - reportedly $35 (I haven't been yet but am going next week)
Can't verify the price -- but it's worth nothing, they have a two bottle maximum, too. (Food and service were beautiful -- but it's not very conducive for wine dinners unless you're buying off the list.)
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#182 Post by scott c » May 8th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Here is Mirabelle's policy:
Our CORKAGE policy is as follows- maximum of (2) 750ml botlles and (1) 1500ml bottle PER RESERVATION. The 1st 750ml bottle is $35 corkage fee and the 2nd 750ml bottle is $50, 1500ml magnum corkage is $50. Each fee will be waived if a similar sized bottle is purchased off the wine list. We kindly request that guests do not bring wines represented on our wine list.
c 1 @ f f e e

Edward H. Earles

Washington DC

#183 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 20th, 2017, 6:29 am

This is a great thread, I need to start getting active on it again.

Can anyone recommend a good spot in Anne Arundel County, MD? (Fort Meade-Odenton-Annapolis....)

etomasi

Washington DC

#184 Post by etomasi » July 21st, 2017, 4:08 pm

Some recent visits

Confirm on Mirabelle
Arroz = $25
Fiola - $50, only during mon-thurs
Osteria Moroni - $25
---
Eric Tomasi

NoahR

Washington DC

#185 Post by NoahR » February 9th, 2018, 8:25 pm

This thread is due an update. I don’t have one because I never get to go out, but I suspect a few folks can help
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Randall McFarlane

Washington DC

#186 Post by Randall McFarlane » February 10th, 2018, 6:15 am

Well, Black Salt allows BYO with $25 corkage. The corkage tab at Taberna del Alabardero is $30 per 750ml, with a two bottle limit, and the wine can't be something they carry on their list.
Last edited by Randall McFarlane on February 12th, 2018, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#187 Post by Jay $$ Winton » February 12th, 2018, 8:15 am

Primrose is $20.

Jeff Banyas

Washington DC

#188 Post by Jeff Banyas » February 15th, 2018, 8:15 am

Farmer Fishers Bakers doesn't charge corkage on the first bottle. $25 per bottle after that. Any wine brought in can't be on their wine list. The food is rather pedestrian though...

Osteria Morini charges $25 corkage, max of 2 bottles. However, if you call ahead, they will be happy to accommodate additional bottles. Decent stemware, too. http://www.osteriamorini.com/washington-dc/

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#189 Post by Jeff Bloom » March 26th, 2018, 4:45 am

The Dabney - $30 per bottle, max one bottle per person.

Very good dinner last night, but I'm not sure it's worthy of a Michelin star.

Brian Gilp

Washington DC

#190 Post by Brian Gilp » March 26th, 2018, 5:57 am

The Red Hen states its $20 for anything not on their list. But their list is all 2X wine searcher average and full of well priced options making buying off the list easier. The food isn't fancy but done really well.

Victor Hong

Washington DC

#191 Post by Victor Hong » May 6th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Best place of casual dinner, near Metro Center or Union Station?
BYO would be ideal, if possible. Thank you.
WineHunter.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#192 Post by scott c » May 7th, 2018, 8:49 am

Victor Hong wrote:Best place of casual dinner, near Metro Center or Union Station?
BYO would be ideal, if possible. Thank you.
Near Union Station, Bistro Bis is not bad. Charlie Palmer Steak is better, but not casual. Both allow corkage.

Near Metro Center, Central Michel Richard is always good. Or head over to CityCenter and try something like Centrolina. Succotash is newish and good, but I don't know their corkage policy.
c 1 @ f f e e

Randall McFarlane

Washington DC

#193 Post by Randall McFarlane » May 7th, 2018, 9:38 am

I'll second the Central recommendation--I think they charge $30 corkage.

Dan Sch

Re: Washington DC

#194 Post by Dan Sch » August 30th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Perhaps Useful:

Plume (Jefferson Hotel) DOES NOT allow corkage at all
Dan Schoeff

BenW

#195 Post by BenW » December 7th, 2018, 9:49 am

Gravitas in Ivy City allows BYOB of up to two bottles, $35 corkage each, waived if you purchase a bottle of the list as well.
B.Williams

NoahR

#196 Post by NoahR » December 7th, 2018, 10:50 am

Reverie in georgetown allows corkage and is very wine friendly. I can’t remember if they charged me, but it was nothing outrageous. Excellent food, and a geeky-cool wine list.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

etomasi

#197 Post by etomasi » January 2nd, 2019, 10:10 pm

Officina at the Warf in DC. $50/bottle. Pretty steep,but we had some great talks with the 2 somms and bought 1 bottle, so they waived corkage.
---
Eric Tomasi

etomasi

#198 Post by etomasi » January 2nd, 2019, 10:15 pm

Thai X-ing in DC. $5/ bottle, unlimited
---
Eric Tomasi

S t e p h e nK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#199 Post by S t e p h e nK » January 5th, 2019, 2:06 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 6:29 am
This is a great thread, I need to start getting active on it again.

Can anyone recommend a good spot in Anne Arundel County, MD? (Fort Meade-Odenton-Annapolis....)
Just had a great meal at Harvest Thyme. Nice wine list with great prices. Server said there are library one off wines off the list too. In Davidsonville.
Stephen Krug

Dan Sch

#200 Post by Dan Sch » January 30th, 2019, 5:49 am

Elle in Mount Pleasant is $25, very accommodating staff and very good food. Pretty laid back place.
Dan Schoeff

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”