Washington DC

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Art K u o

Washington DC

#101 Post by Art K u o » October 7th, 2013, 12:38 pm

was at farmers fishkers in gtown a couple weekends ago and they tried to tell me that they've always only allowed one bottle free corkage... i told them, no, that's not true... and talked my way into 2 bottles free corkage... that and i told them their wine list was horrible....
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#102 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 7th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Le Diplomate in DC-still $25pb not on their list. Paul the new sommelier cheerfully decanted my 2000 Meyney. Good red stemware.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#103 Post by Art K u o » October 25th, 2013, 9:33 am

del campo is at $25/per max 2 btl. nothing on the wine list...
speaking of which... anything on this list that's good qpr?

http://delcampodc.com/menus/wine-list/
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#104 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 29th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Fiola: $50 a bottle, 2 bottle max
Central: $25 a bottle, dk if there's a max
I think Proof was $35

PaulM

Washington DC

#105 Post by PaulM » October 31st, 2013, 7:25 am

Art K u o wrote:del campo is at $25/per max 2 btl. nothing on the wine list...
speaking of which... anything on this list that's good qpr?

http://delcampodc.com/menus/wine-list/
Looks like the markups are about double retail, give or take, so middle of the road. I'd probably order the Tikal off the list; the Nicolas Catena Zapata is a great bottle but I'd rather have the ones I paid retail for.

Anybody tried the place yet?
M a r q u a r d t

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#106 Post by Alicia C. » October 31st, 2013, 7:44 am

Paul Marquardt wrote:
Anybody tried the place yet?
I can't speak to the wine beyond having an interesting list (we had cocktails instead), but I was there for dinner back in June shortly after they opened. The food was great! Definitely not your typical steakhouse experience, but it was fun to get a couple of the meats and share them with the table. The rolled skirt steak was a stand-out.
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

Steve Sliger
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#107 Post by Steve Sliger » November 1st, 2013, 4:39 am

late september we visited Thai X-ing -- what a great spot! $0 Corkage and incredible food. 4 ppl 7 course meal is $40 pp, 5+ ppl cost is $50 pp but we loved it. If you want dark wood and fancy places this is definitely not your place, if you want tasty food in a fun environment with $0 corkage this is your place. make reservations in advance. BTW they were very good handling the two food allergy limitations in our group, making 6 out of 7 courses work for the entire table.
~~ I T B ~~

it's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat...

Flame on, I'm gone
I'm so sweet like a nice bon bon
Came out rapping when I was born
Mom said rock it 'til the break of dawn

Michael Lewis
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#108 Post by Michael Lewis » November 1st, 2013, 6:14 am

Steve Sliger wrote:late september we visited Thai X-ing -- what a great spot! $0 Corkage and incredible food. 4 ppl 7 course meal is $40 pp, 5+ ppl cost is $50 pp but we loved it. If you want dark wood and fancy places this is definitely not your place, if you want tasty food in a fun environment with $0 corkage this is your place. make reservations in advance. BTW they were very good handling the two food allergy limitations in our group, making 6 out of 7 courses work for the entire table.
How were the wine glasses? I would think that is the kind of place where you'd need to bring your own stems. Is that right?
Michael Lewis
Twitter: @MichaelLewisDC
Instagram: michaellewisdc

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#109 Post by scott c » November 1st, 2013, 7:55 am

Michael Lewis wrote:
Steve Sliger wrote:late september we visited Thai X-ing -- what a great spot! $0 Corkage and incredible food. 4 ppl 7 course meal is $40 pp, 5+ ppl cost is $50 pp but we loved it. If you want dark wood and fancy places this is definitely not your place, if you want tasty food in a fun environment with $0 corkage this is your place. make reservations in advance. BTW they were very good handling the two food allergy limitations in our group, making 6 out of 7 courses work for the entire table.
How were the wine glasses? I would think that is the kind of place where you'd need to bring your own stems. Is that right?
Yes, I take my own stems when I go (and they don't mind/are used to it - otherwise you get a water glass). Any time you want to go, let me know - love that place!
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Steve Sliger
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#110 Post by Steve Sliger » November 1st, 2013, 7:26 pm

we did not take any due to travel constraints but i would have preferred some. rocks glasses for water (w/ our own pitcher) and water glasses for wine. we did ave an amazing meal with incredible friends even from water glasses.
~~ I T B ~~

it's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat...

Flame on, I'm gone
I'm so sweet like a nice bon bon
Came out rapping when I was born
Mom said rock it 'til the break of dawn

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#111 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 5th, 2013, 9:32 am

Sergios in Silver Spring, MD serves good (many pastas made in house), reasonably priced Italian food and now allows corkage. We were there last night and paid $15 for 2.5 bottles. Stemware is not very good so may want to bring your own.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#112 Post by Art K u o » December 12th, 2013, 1:27 pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:
Michael Lewis wrote:
Yes, I take my own stems when I go (and they don't mind/are used to it - otherwise you get a water glass). Any time you want to go, let me know - love that place!
yep, byob and probably should byog if you are bringing stellar wines... maybe we should plan an offline here.... would be very interesting place for wine dinner because you almost have to go unconventional.... last time we started with bubbles and then moved to a 30yr old riesling then to ice wine....

Mike Heyse

Washington DC

#113 Post by Mike Heyse » December 16th, 2013, 10:17 am

Jay Winton wrote:Sergios in Silver Spring, MD serves good (many pastas made in house), reasonably priced Italian food and now allows corkage. We were there last night and paid $15 for 2.5 bottles. Stemware is not very good so may want to bring your own.
Good to know! My mom designed the menu art for them. I've been going there since I was 8 years old. Love love love this place. Next time, if it's on the menu (and it should be because he made it especially for me and I loved it so much that he added it to the rotation), get the stuffed pork chop.
http://www.stateyourgear.com

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#114 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 16th, 2013, 11:42 am

Mike Heyse wrote:
Jay Winton wrote:Sergios in Silver Spring, MD serves good (many pastas made in house), reasonably priced Italian food and now allows corkage. We were there last night and paid $15 for 2.5 bottles. Stemware is not very good so may want to bring your own.
Good to know! My mom designed the menu art for them. I've been going there since I was 8 years old. Love love love this place. Next time, if it's on the menu (and it should be because he made it especially for me and I loved it so much that he added it to the rotation), get the stuffed pork chop.
I've had that chop before and enjoyed every bite!

Mike Heyse

Washington DC

#115 Post by Mike Heyse » December 17th, 2013, 9:30 am

It would be incredibly easy for me to organize an offline here sometime, if you and others are interested. Sergio would do up special food for us most likely, too.

ehrlichdy

Washington DC

#116 Post by ehrlichdy » December 20th, 2013, 6:00 am

Mike Heyse wrote:It would be incredibly easy for me to organize an offline here sometime, if you and others are interested. Sergio would do up special food for us most likely, too.
I'm interested.
David Ehrlich

Art K u o

Washington DC

#117 Post by Art K u o » December 20th, 2013, 6:32 am

ehrlichdy wrote:
Mike Heyse wrote:It would be incredibly easy for me to organize an offline here sometime, if you and others are interested. Sergio would do up special food for us most likely, too.
I'm interested.
me too

Mike Heyse

Washington DC

#118 Post by Mike Heyse » December 20th, 2013, 6:37 am

Cool! They have a nice little private room that can seat about 12 that I can secure for us. Do we want this to be a couples event or just wine geeks (unless you're a lucky soul who has a wine geek significant other)?

And wines... I assume everyone is OK with Italian? We can keep it pretty open from there. Sergio's menu has great seafood (typically swordfish or branzino, etc), but also delicious pastas and meats. Northern Italian style, so not a lot of red sauces, but definitely a few. I typically just drink Chianti there, but that was pre-corkage. I'm thinking I will bring a good Barolo. Let's say $50 min. bottle? Open to suggestions on any and all of these details.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#119 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 20th, 2013, 6:59 am

would like to join if date works.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#120 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 20th, 2013, 8:11 am

Majestic in Old Town Alexandria is $25. We're there tomorrow night.

Darryl Priest
Contributor
Contributor

Washington DC

#121 Post by Darryl Priest » December 20th, 2013, 10:38 am

Art K u o wrote:
ehrlichdy wrote:
I'm interested.
me too
me too +1

Art K u o

Washington DC

#122 Post by Art K u o » December 20th, 2013, 11:30 am

i'm in if the date works... $50+ italian wine is ok for me too (although I had to check CT just now... i assume we're talking CT avg cost, and not lowest on wine-searcher?)

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#123 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 20th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Mike, I suggest you start a thread in the offline forum.

Mike Heyse

Washington DC

#124 Post by Mike Heyse » December 22nd, 2013, 7:48 am

Scot H.

Washington DC

#125 Post by Scot H. » January 31st, 2014, 12:05 pm

Jay Winton wrote:Majestic in Old Town Alexandria is $25. We're there tomorrow night.
Thanks. Recently learned that you can buy wine at Society Fair and they will uncork it for you no charge at Majestic.

Here is the thread on NoVa:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 22&t=49092

Recent DC dinners at:

Bombay Club $25
Rasika West $25

Both places (same ownership) were polite about it and Rasika West was especially great - decanting the bottle and giving us the same attention as a purchased bottle (resulting in a nice tip on wine that I did not purchase from them).

Osteria Morini. $25 limited to one bottle not on the list.
H@sselm@n

doug johnson

Washington DC

#126 Post by doug johnson » February 2nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Had a nice dinner Saturday at Ron Tanaka's new restaurant Thally in Shaw. $25 corkage.

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#127 Post by Alicia C. » February 4th, 2014, 1:00 pm

I know nothing about this restaurant (although his former restaurant was highly regarded) but thought I'd pass along this blog post I stumbled upon... could be worth a try!
Monday's a good night to give Malmaison, the newish Georgetown restaurant, a try. It's Bring-Your-Own-Wine Night at the restaurant, and that means free corkage (which can be hard to come by in D.C.). Pair the wine with a pre-set menu and it's $49.

But chef Gerard Pangaud goes even further. The former chef of Gerard's Place also used to be a sommelier. So if customers call up the chef and tell them the wine they're bringing, he'll design a special menu for them to complement the wine. There's no additional charge, though he requires 72 hours advanced notice.

Pangaud is keeping himself busy. He's also spending some time in the kitchen of sister restaurant Napoleon, according to a rep.
http://dc.eater.com/archives/2014/02/04 ... ondays.php

Art K u o

Washington DC

#128 Post by Art K u o » February 4th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I say we shall organize an offline there!!

PaulM

Washington DC

#129 Post by PaulM » February 5th, 2014, 10:20 am

Alicia C. wrote:I know nothing about this restaurant (although his former restaurant was highly regarded) but thought I'd pass along this blog post I stumbled upon... could be worth a try!
Monday's a good night to give Malmaison, the newish Georgetown restaurant, a try. It's Bring-Your-Own-Wine Night at the restaurant, and that means free corkage (which can be hard to come by in D.C.). Pair the wine with a pre-set menu and it's $49.

But chef Gerard Pangaud goes even further. The former chef of Gerard's Place also used to be a sommelier. So if customers call up the chef and tell them the wine they're bringing, he'll design a special menu for them to complement the wine. There's no additional charge, though he requires 72 hours advanced notice.

Pangaud is keeping himself busy. He's also spending some time in the kitchen of sister restaurant Napoleon, according to a rep.
Thanks - his old place was good.
M a r q u a r d t

Scot H.

Washington DC

#130 Post by Scot H. » March 12th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Blue Duck Tavern now $35 (from $25) - limited to two bottles.

Also, went to Central recently (on Weygandt list) and they were very accommodating. Still $25.
H@sselm@n

Art K u o

Washington DC

#131 Post by Art K u o » March 15th, 2014, 7:37 am

malmaison corkage is $25 on non mondays...
food was above average for georgetown... and since it's so close to my place i will probably go back
service needs to step it up... slow response when service was needed at the table, waiter didn't write down our order so had to come back to verify first course orders, then come back again in 15 mins to verify 2nd course orders
will need to try their monday deal soon....

doug johnson

Washington DC

#132 Post by doug johnson » April 1st, 2014, 11:42 am

Osteria Morini, by the baseball stadium: $25 corkage + pretty good food.

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#133 Post by Alicia C. » April 7th, 2014, 8:51 am

Water & Wall (the new restaurant from Tim Ma of Maple Ave. fame), located near the Virginia Square metro in Arlington, only charges $15 corkage (which is only a few dollars more than what they charge for some of their wines by the glass). Food so far has been good! Since it's seasonal, they are often introducing new dishes, but I've noticed they also take pride in improving their menu items based on customer feedback. (Sunday-Thursday at the bar they do a decent three-course for $35 special).

doug johnson

Washington DC

#134 Post by doug johnson » May 4th, 2014, 9:22 am

Alicia C. wrote:Water & Wall (the new restaurant from Tim Ma of Maple Ave. fame), located near the Virginia Square metro in Arlington, only charges $15 corkage (which is only a few dollars more than what they charge for some of their wines by the glass). Food so far has been good! Since it's seasonal, they are often introducing new dishes, but I've noticed they also take pride in improving their menu items based on customer feedback. (Sunday-Thursday at the bar they do a decent three-course for $35 special).

Fee there was $19 last night.

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#135 Post by Alicia C. » May 5th, 2014, 8:35 am

doug johnson wrote: Fee there was $19 last night.
that's a bummer -- i hope they're not trying to inch their way up... unless they price differently during the weekend than a week night. i've gotten to know the manager there, so i'll bug him nicely next time i'm in.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#136 Post by Jeff Bloom » May 30th, 2014, 5:44 am

Alicia C. wrote:
doug johnson wrote: Fee there was $19 last night.
that's a bummer -- i hope they're not trying to inch their way up... unless they price differently during the weekend than a week night. i've gotten to know the manager there, so i'll bug him nicely next time i'm in.
$19 is what they charge at Maple Ave., so I'm guessing $15 was a mistake or a short term reduction because it's relatively new.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#137 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 31st, 2014, 9:11 am

Great dinner at Black Salt last night. I really don't think there is a better seafood restaurant in the area. Corkage is $25 but I was the only wine drinker so ordered a couple of glasses of albarino. A generous pour for under $10pg.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#138 Post by Art K u o » June 3rd, 2014, 8:01 am

must agree with you there... black salt is excellent!

Scot H.

Washington DC

#139 Post by Scot H. » June 10th, 2014, 3:38 pm

The Partisan on D Street. $25. They waived the fee when I bought several other bottles off the nice list.

Joe's Stone Crab - $25. Surprisingly good list too (not cheap, of course), but Raveneau, Coche, Leroy, a Moose, etc. Might be a good place for a White Burg offline.

Perhaps I'm just more comfortable bringing wine, but it seems that many more restaurants (also in NoVA) are ok with corkage.
Last edited by Scot H. on June 10th, 2014, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H@sselm@n

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#140 Post by Alicia C. » June 10th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Love The Partisan! Fun wines by the glass list there... you can do half glasses, too. Had a glass of the 1996 Barberesco that opened up beautifully throughout the evening, and was excited to see a Lioco red on the list.

Scot H.

Washington DC

#141 Post by Scot H. » June 11th, 2014, 8:49 am

Alicia C. wrote:Love The Partisan! Fun wines by the glass list there... you can do half glasses, too. Had a glass of the 1996 Barberesco that opened up beautifully throughout the evening, and was excited to see a Lioco red on the list.
We really enjoyed it and have been back - really nice Sommelier too. Some interesting wines too, we had a random 1995 Ridge ATP Carignane that the Sommelier had purchased at auction. Wine (Ridge) was not great, but it was fun to try and priced reasonably.
H@sselm@n

Scot H.

Washington DC

#142 Post by Scot H. » July 27th, 2014, 6:01 am

Went to The Source last night for a great dinner. Corkage has crept up to $35. It also seems like almost everywhere else is $25 now.

Edit/add - $25 at Bearnaise (don't bother, btw)
Edit/add - $30! at Eat the Rich (ok - but over-rated)
H@sselm@n

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#143 Post by Howard Cooper » September 28th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Paul Marquardt wrote:
Alicia C. wrote:I know nothing about this restaurant (although his former restaurant was highly regarded) but thought I'd pass along this blog post I stumbled upon... could be worth a try!

Thanks - his old place was good.
Went to Malmaison a few weeks ago with friends on a Wednesday night (seems like Wednesday is now no corkage night). Really good food, excellent value, delightful meal. http://malmaisondc.com/dinner-menu/
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

ebertstokes

Washington DC

#144 Post by ebertstokes » October 9th, 2014, 12:45 am

Scot Hasselman wrote:Went to The Source last night for a great dinner. Corkage has crept up to $35. It also seems like almost everywhere else is $25 now.

Edit/add - $25 at Bearnaise (don't bother, btw)
Edit/add - $30! at Eat the Rich (ok - but over-rated)
We had our marriage anniversary party last week. Really enjoyed the moments. The dishes were good and moreover not but not the least, the cocktails were excellent.
[cheers.gif]

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#145 Post by Alicia C. » November 17th, 2014, 1:57 pm

The DC Eater blog has a post today on where to find free corkage, so dropping it by here for reference.

http://dc.eater.com/2014/11/17/7218039/ ... e-policies

Alicia C.

Washington DC

#146 Post by Alicia C. » November 17th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
Went to Malmaison a few weeks ago with friends on a Wednesday night (seems like Wednesday is now no corkage night). Really good food, excellent value, delightful meal. http://malmaisondc.com/dinner-menu/
oh, thanks for the mini-review -- i haven't had a chance to get by there yet.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#147 Post by doug johnson » December 28th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Rural Society, $25 per bottle (2 bottle limit, I think). Pretty good food, too.

MOrsino
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#148 Post by MOrsino » January 15th, 2015, 11:44 am

Does anyone know about Bond 45 at National Harbor?

doug johnson

Washington DC

#149 Post by doug johnson » April 2nd, 2015, 12:36 pm

$20 at Macon Bistro.

Chef there is Dan Singhofen, who owned Eola in Dupont. He's doing a really nice job at Macon in my opinion.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#150 Post by Art K u o » April 7th, 2015, 2:37 pm

cool~
i really enjoyed eola before it closed. will have to try out the new place sometimes~

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”