Chicago and suburbs

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Michael Klein

Chicago and suburbs

#351 Post by Michael Klein » February 20th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Bummer to hear about cotton duck. Briciola (next to cotton duck) also closed. Sad.

In lighter news, Cellar Door Provisions is now serving pre-fixe byob dinner that looks very promising. 4 courses for $32-$48. Initial reviews have been excellent. I'm going Saturday night and will report back.

Anyone been to ruxbin since they reopened?

Jim Brennan

Chicago and suburbs

#352 Post by Jim Brennan » February 20th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Wadeshanley wrote:The Publican
http://www.thepublicanrestaurant.com
837 W Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607

$20 corkage, max 2 bottles. Food is outstanding. Highly recommend the "chef's menu"
Bumping this... surprised it isn't on the list already. Do they not want it advertised??

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#353 Post by John Danza » February 20th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Jim Brennan wrote:
Wadeshanley wrote:The Publican
http://www.thepublicanrestaurant.com
837 W Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607

$20 corkage, max 2 bottles. Food is outstanding. Highly recommend the "chef's menu"
Bumping this... surprised it isn't on the list already. Do they not want it advertised??
I hadn't added it to the list because anything over $15 corkage seems to me to be a stretch to consider BYOB. But I will add it to the list.
John Danza

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chicago and suburbs

#354 Post by Paul Miller » February 21st, 2017, 12:59 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
Michael Klein wrote:Strings is actually going to open this year closer to wrigley field. great news!
Speaking of near Wrigley...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cozy Noodle
All BYOB all the time - no corkage
Stemware: Small, clunky drinking glasses. I suppose you could bring your own. They do have ice buckets.
3456 N. Sheffield, Chicago IL (1 block south of Wrigley Field)
773-327-0100
http://www.cozychicago.com/home/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple and tasty Thai food. The owner is a real character, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

It is BYOB. They will provide glasses, but the glasses are just normal drink glasses, not wine glasses. I suppose you could bring your own. They will put your wine in an ice bucket.

We eat there about every time we go to a Cubs game, or to a concert at Wrigley. Different experience than going to one of the packed bars near Wrigley.
Bump

Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

#355 Post by Matt Fleming » March 12th, 2017, 12:13 pm

An update on Cellar Door Provision's Prix Fixe Menu: great food, in an idiosyncratic sort of way. Pork jowl in a tempura coating, for example. Tiny spoonful or two of a great soup course. Excellent, homemade starter / snack board of vegetables, cheese, butter and bread. Mediocre stems, no decanters, attentive service. A decidedly hipster sensibility, as to be expected given the address. A grade of a solid A.

NEAR in Barrington, not so hot. The food is tasty enough, served in large portions. But the assembly of the plates could gain a lot from some more attention to detail. Glass ware: the stemless sort, one type each from red, white, sparkling. I am not a big fan of the stemless glasses, yet too lazy to bring my own. Service only so-so. A generous B-, a C+ if in a bad mood.

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#356 Post by John Danza » March 12th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Matt and Paul, I've updated the list.
John Danza

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#357 Post by Corey N. » March 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Kendall college corkage is $15/bottle (not $10).

Went twice recently. Food is good and the room is nice, but the wine service is sorely lacking.
Nøv¡¢k

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#358 Post by John Danza » March 12th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Corey N. wrote:Kendall college corkage is $15/bottle (not $10).

Went twice recently. Food is good and the room is nice, but the wine service is sorely lacking.
I updated the entry. The students aren't polished in wine service. They're learning, since the dining room is part classroom for them. If there's something special you need, speak with Pam Stoner, the dining room instructor, ahead of time and she'll make sure it all comes together for you.
John Danza

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#359 Post by Corey N. » March 13th, 2017, 5:25 am

John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.
Nøv¡¢k

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#360 Post by John Danza » March 13th, 2017, 6:54 am

Corey N. wrote:John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.
OK Corey. I guess I misunderstood the use of the term "sorely lacking".
John Danza

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#361 Post by Corey N. » March 18th, 2017, 5:28 am

John Danza wrote:
Corey N. wrote:John, I'm pretty tolerant and the service didn't bother me, I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism.
Well John, since you apparently feel that I must justify my opinion...

When I sat down I informed the host and the server that we brought wine. I had to request wine glasses three times. After they were finally brought to the table, approximately 15m after we sat down, the server left and I looked around for about 2-3m longer to see whether anyone (service was by committee) was coming by to open the bottle. Nope. Thankfully, we opened with Champagne, which made it easy enough to do myself. We had an similar issue with the second bottle, where no one paid attention to the fact that we needed our bottle opened for a solid 5-10m. If memory serves bottle 3 went fine, and with bottle 4, I searched in vain for a server but it was a twist-off, so no real issue.

I note that the restaurant was not slammed and several servers were chatting casually during dinner service.

On a previous occasion, the server inserted the worm halfway in the cork, pulled, and the cork broke in two. The host suggested it might be the cork (it was fine) and I managed to get it out myself while the server and host stared in awe.

I hope this satisfies your definition of "sorely lacking".
Nøv¡¢k

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#362 Post by John Danza » March 19th, 2017, 11:34 am

Corey N. wrote:
John Danza wrote:
Well John, since you apparently feel that I must justify my opinion...

When I sat down I informed the host and the server that we brought wine. I had to request wine glasses three times. After they were finally brought to the table, approximately 15m after we sat down, the server left and I looked around for about 2-3m longer to see whether anyone (service was by committee) was coming by to open the bottle. Nope. Thankfully, we opened with Champagne, which made it easy enough to do myself. We had an similar issue with the second bottle, where no one paid attention to the fact that we needed our bottle opened for a solid 5-10m. If memory serves bottle 3 went fine, and with bottle 4, I searched in vain for a server but it was a twist-off, so no real issue.

I note that the restaurant was not slammed and several servers were chatting casually during dinner service.

On a previous occasion, the server inserted the worm halfway in the cork, pulled, and the cork broke in two. The host suggested it might be the cork (it was fine) and I managed to get it out myself while the server and host stared in awe.

I hope this satisfies your definition of "sorely lacking".
I didn't ask you to justify your opinion. I noted that "sorely lacking" and "I meant the comment as a PSA, not a criticism" are two different things. Your further details on the service shows that "sorely lacking" was a criticism. That's perfectly fine by the way, as it's your statement on your experience. No worries there.

My original comment was based on knowing that this place isn't polished. When I go to Kendall, I handle my wine from start to finish. This is actually true with every restaurant I go to when I'm bringing my own wine. I only want them to bring me glasses (if I haven't brought my own), and then they can back off. It sounds like they failed at the "bring me glasses" part too, which blows. That's the easiest thing to get right.
John Danza

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#363 Post by Corey N. » March 19th, 2017, 12:17 pm

I like the concept about Kendall College and for the price it can't be beat, but if I had the same experiences in any other restaurant I'd be pissed off. Going forward, I will handle my own wines there.
Nøv¡¢k

Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

#364 Post by Matt Fleming » March 21st, 2017, 4:34 pm

A quick review of

Aroy Thai
4654 N Damen
773-275-8360

No corkage fees (no license). Excellent Thai food. I do believe the best in the city. More than adequate stems. (One type for all wine). I think the food surpasses current internet reviews, which are nonetheless positive.

If going, the my recommendation for wine is for sturdier riesling and gewurztraminer, with some RS. An excellent vouvray was a bit under powered last night when up against the menu.

Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

#365 Post by Matt Fleming » March 21st, 2017, 4:37 pm

A quick note on Chez Simo: the food was impressive on a recent visit. The lamb shank remains one of my favorite dishes in the city. Stems are still average. Service is by the ownership team, so it is very much a bistro setting. Go for the good food and BYOB. Bring stems and decanters if those are important to you.

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#366 Post by Corey N. » March 21st, 2017, 5:53 pm

I'll post a longer note in the restaurant thread, but 4 couples went to Restaurant Michael this past Sunday (free corkage night) and the food was phenomenal. Stems were good and they provided decanters as well, though I don't think we actually used them.
Nøv¡¢k

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#367 Post by John Danza » March 27th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Has anyone had any issues with BYO'ing at River Roast? They tell me (actually, my wife) that the corkage is $25/bottle but didn't mention any restrictions. I want to bring a magnum for the table of four. Let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks!
John Danza

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#368 Post by John Danza » March 27th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Matt Fleming wrote:A quick note on Chez Simo: the food was impressive on a recent visit. The lamb shank remains one of my favorite dishes in the city. Stems are still average. Service is by the ownership team, so it is very much a bistro setting. Go for the good food and BYOB. Bring stems and decanters if those are important to you.
Matt, this is my "go to" French bistro. I've never had a bad meal there. It's gotten to the point where we go there about once every three weeks on average.
John Danza

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#369 Post by Mike Lindauer » April 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Dined at Cochon Volant this evening. It's a French steakhouse on the ground floor of the HyattCentric at 100 W. Monroe. Corkage is $25. Stemware was good, and they decanted our 2001 CdP's. Filet was fabulous, and we enjoyed some interesting sides - creamed spinach, brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
http://www.cochonvolantchicago.com/

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#370 Post by John Danza » April 26th, 2017, 10:56 am

Mike Lindauer wrote:Dined at Cochon Volant this evening. It's a French steakhouse on the ground floor of the HyattCentric at 100 W. Monroe. Corkage is $25. Stemware was good, and they decanted our 2001 CdP's. Filet was fabulous, and we enjoyed some interesting sides - creamed spinach, brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
Added to the list on page 1.
John Danza

jordan whitehead

Chicago and suburbs

#371 Post by jordan whitehead » May 15th, 2017, 2:06 pm

jordan whitehead wrote:Updated:

Ballaro
214 GREEN BAY ROAD,
HIGHWOOD, IL, 60040

excellent contemporary Italian.

very good stems

They will waive corkage to Berserkers mon-thurs. Regular policy fri-sun $20/750ml not on their list
John please update the front page.
www.annaswish.org

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#372 Post by John Danza » May 15th, 2017, 8:55 pm

jordan whitehead wrote:
jordan whitehead wrote:Updated:

Ballaro
214 GREEN BAY ROAD,
HIGHWOOD, IL, 60040

excellent contemporary Italian.

very good stems

They will waive corkage to Berserkers mon-thurs. Regular policy fri-sun $20/750ml not on their list
John please update the front page.
All set Jordan. Thanks for the update.
John Danza

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#373 Post by Mike Lindauer » June 5th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#374 Post by Mike Lindauer » June 5th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Also had a nice meal on Sat at http://www.thaipastry.com/

Perfect before attending an event at the Green Mill, Uptown, or Riviera.
No corkage fee. Good food and service. Their stems were OK too.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chicago and suburbs

#375 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » June 9th, 2017, 11:39 am

Had a very good, if not spectacular dinner at Prosecco on Wells last week. We ordered off the list (seemed to be 2.5 to 3.5X retail), but I asked about corkage, and learned that it is $30 for the first, $40 for the second and $50 for the third bottle, which is their allowed maximum.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#376 Post by John Danza » June 11th, 2017, 7:47 am

Mike Lindauer wrote:Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.
Mike, is that per person like their previous corkage, or is it now per bottle?
John Danza

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#377 Post by Mike Lindauer » June 11th, 2017, 8:56 am

John Danza wrote:
Mike Lindauer wrote:Update for Cafe Marbella. Had a truly great meal there last week. They now charge $10 corkage.
Sorry should have been more specific. $10/bottle, no limit. They didn't actually charge us for all of our bottles.

Also, heard from a friend that El Maya is no longer BYOB.

And sorry to post this here if it's a violation, but I have a Vinotheque wine credenza for sale in Chicago. It won't fit in my basement apartment. I will take best offer, as I need to move it ASAP.
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=141347

s.nellessen

Chicago and suburbs

#378 Post by s.nellessen » June 11th, 2017, 10:00 am

Mike Lindauer wrote:
John Danza wrote:
Sorry should have been more specific. $10/bottle, no limit. They didn't actually charge us for all of our bottles.

Also, heard from a friend that El Maya is no longer BYOB.

And sorry to post this here if it's a violation, but I have a Vinotheque wine credenza for sale in Chicago. It won't fit in my basement apartment. I will take best offer, as I need to move it ASAP.
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=141347
Cafe Marbella is no-corkage on Tuesdays, according to the handwritten sign in their window last week, otherwise $10 as Mike said.
Steve N.

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#379 Post by John Danza » June 11th, 2017, 11:37 pm

I've made the list updates from Robert, Mike and Steve.

That's too bad about El Maya. I've pulled them from the list. With Mixteco Grill being closed, that corner just became a BYOB wasteland for great Mexico-inspired food.
John Danza

jordan whitehead

Chicago and suburbs

#380 Post by jordan whitehead » June 12th, 2017, 9:47 pm

according to their website, Restaurant Michael charges $30 corkage
www.annaswish.org

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#381 Post by John Danza » June 14th, 2017, 4:03 pm

jordan whitehead wrote:according to their website, Restaurant Michael charges $30 corkage
Entry changed. Thanks.
John Danza

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#382 Post by John Danza » August 30th, 2017, 8:47 am

Ruxbin is closing on September 10 according to the notice on Eater and a notice on their website. I'll pull them off of the list.
John Danza

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#383 Post by John Danza » September 4th, 2017, 1:45 pm

I just added Blu57 Seafood and Small Plates to our list. It's a promising new BYOB in Andersonville. You can find my write-up and photos here.
John Danza

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#384 Post by Mike Lindauer » September 14th, 2017, 10:10 pm

A small change hardly worth noting. But in the interest of accuracy, Glenn's Diner now charges $8 corkage fee.

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#385 Post by John Danza » September 16th, 2017, 11:38 am

Mike Lindauer wrote:A small change hardly worth noting. But in the interest of accuracy, Glenn's Diner now charges $8 corkage fee.
Thanks Mike. I've made the change. I also removed Intro, since that place is now closed.
John Danza

Michael Klein

Chicago and suburbs

#386 Post by Michael Klein » October 30th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Recently paid $20 for corkage at Daisies in Logan Sq. Fresh pastas and farm to table style food. Very good.

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chicago and suburbs

#387 Post by Bret D!sk!n » January 26th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Lawry's The Prime Rib has a $25 corkage per bottle. Brought in a special bottle so not sure if they have a policy about not allowing wines that they sell themselves.

Nick G A J E W S K I

Chicago and suburbs

#388 Post by Nick G A J E W S K I » February 2nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

$25 at RPM Italian is a steal with their wine friendly fare, their sister RPM Steak charges $50.
Instagram: chicago.wine.dude

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chicago and suburbs

#389 Post by Joe B » February 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm

Stoney River
Deer Park
$20 per
20504 N. Rand Road
Deer Park, IL 60010
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#390 Post by John Danza » February 6th, 2018, 10:57 am

Guys, I've updated the list on page one with the last few notifications. I've also added Vie after finding out about their BYOB corkage policy.
John Danza

Chris Sargent

Chicago and suburbs

#391 Post by Chris Sargent » February 6th, 2018, 11:50 am

Mike Lindauer wrote:Dined at Cochon Volant this evening. It's a French steakhouse on the ground floor of the HyattCentric at 100 W. Monroe. Corkage is $25. Stemware was good, and they decanted our 2001 CdP's. Filet was fabulous, and we enjoyed some interesting sides - creamed spinach, brussel sprouts, and roasted cauliflower.
Wow, I wish I had known this before going last year. Their wine prices were outrageous, even for a downtown spot.

Chris Sargent

Chicago and suburbs

#392 Post by Chris Sargent » February 6th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Here are a couple spots I've enjoyed recently:
Trattoria Ultimo - W. Chicago and N. Damon - really good Italian food. I don't remember the corkage fee (minimal if there was one at all). Entirely BYOB. Not cheap, but great atmosphere. We brought our own stems - don't recall theirs. Great desserts as well.
Las Tablas - 2942 N. Lincoln. This is their only location that allows BYOB, on weekdays only I believe. Corkage was $5 or $10. Don't recall their stemware - brought our own Riedel O's. Delicious, reliable Columbian food. I especially love the Entraña - marinated skirt steak.

Corey N.

Chicago and suburbs

#393 Post by Corey N. » February 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Stix N Brix
220 W 33rd Street
Chicago, IL 60616

An option if you're heading to a White Sox game. Wood Fired Pizza. No corkage. Reidel O knockoffs.
Nøv¡¢k

Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

#394 Post by Matt Fleming » February 6th, 2018, 5:12 pm

John Danza wrote:
jordan whitehead wrote:according to their website, Restaurant Michael charges $30 corkage
Entry changed. Thanks.
worth noting: during my most recent visit to Restaurant Michael the chef / owner came out to inform us that they were enforcing a village ordinance that limited BYOB wine to one 750ml per two people. This was perhaps my 15th dinner on BYOB night at RM and the first time the rule was enforced.

Matt Fleming

Chicago and suburbs

#395 Post by Matt Fleming » February 6th, 2018, 5:15 pm

John Danza wrote:
Matt Fleming wrote:A quick note on Chez Simo: the food was impressive on a recent visit. The lamb shank remains one of my favorite dishes in the city. Stems are still average. Service is by the ownership team, so it is very much a bistro setting. Go for the good food and BYOB. Bring stems and decanters if those are important to you.
Matt, this is my "go to" French bistro. I've never had a bad meal there. It's gotten to the point where we go there about once every three weeks on average.
John,

Indeed. I had dinner there two weeks ago. The lamb shank was again excellent. Appetizers were only OK this time. I expect they'll be back to excellent for the next visit.

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#396 Post by John Danza » February 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

Matt Fleming wrote:
John Danza wrote:
Entry changed. Thanks.
worth noting: during my most recent visit to Restaurant Michael the chef / owner came out to inform us that they were enforcing a village ordinance that limited BYOB wine to one 750ml per two people. This was perhaps my 15th dinner on BYOB night at RM and the first time the rule was enforced.
Good to know Matt. Next time I see Michael (probably later this month), I'll ask him for chapter-and-verse on this. The last time I spoke to him on it, it was confusing because the rules were different between the main restaurant and George Trois.
John Danza

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#397 Post by John Danza » February 7th, 2018, 10:47 am

Corey N. wrote:Stix N Brix
220 W 33rd Street
Chicago, IL 60616

An option if you're heading to a White Sox game. Wood Fired Pizza. No corkage. Reidel O knockoffs.
Updated. Thanks.
John Danza

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Chicago and suburbs

#398 Post by Bret D!sk!n » February 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm

I had a reservation at Cochon Volant and called to double check their corkage policy prior to our reservation. Was told that they don't do corkage even after I mentioned that a friend had recently told me they do for $25. Needless to say that reservation got cancelled pretty fast...

John Danza

Chicago and suburbs

#399 Post by John Danza » February 23rd, 2018, 1:39 pm

Bret D!sk!n wrote:I had a reservation at Cochon Volant and called to double check their corkage policy prior to our reservation. Was told that they don't do corkage even after I mentioned that a friend had recently told me they do for $25. Needless to say that reservation got cancelled pretty fast...
This is why I don't put restaurants on the list where someone reports "I talked to so-and-so who said they would charge XYZ, but you can call to negotiate it". That's not a policy, it's a crap-shoot.

By the way, I had an email exchange with Parachute on the topic of corkage. It was just no, it was "hell no".
John Danza

Mike Lindauer

Chicago and suburbs

#400 Post by Mike Lindauer » February 23rd, 2018, 8:23 pm

Bret D!sk!n wrote:I had a reservation at Cochon Volant and called to double check their corkage policy prior to our reservation. Was told that they don't do corkage even after I mentioned that a friend had recently told me they do for $25. Needless to say that reservation got cancelled pretty fast...

Sorry to hear they changed their policy. Thanks for the update.

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”