Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

New York City, aka Manhattan and the boroughs BYO

#351 Post by Brad Kane » July 31st, 2015, 8:51 am

DavidZ wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:
DavidZ wrote:Table d'Hote in Carnegie Hill - policy is sort of a moving target, ranges from $20-35 (most often $25) depending on, as best I can tell, lunar phases and whether a dowsing stick bends when you call. But its a lovely, tiny, restaurant with excellent food, and a perfect place to split a nice bottle on a date.

http://www.tabledhote.info/
Menu looks pretty good, but am I the only person amused by a restaurant calling itself "Table d'Hote" with a average size a la carte menu?

Monday BYO at Racines- I thought food and service very good.

To be fair, that name dates back at least one, maybe two owners ago and around 20 years. The current iteration of the place is the best.
Goes back to 1978, when they opened. Neat little spot. I grew up a block away and remember when it opened.
itb.

RMolnar

#352 Post by RMolnar » August 1st, 2015, 6:37 am

Per the Chambers St Facebook page, King Bee on 9th St is now doing BYOB for Sunday brunch and dinner.
http://www.kingbeenyc.com/
R@chel

D@v1dZ

#353 Post by D@v1dZ » August 3rd, 2015, 1:06 pm

Brad Kane wrote:
Goes back to 1978, when they opened. Neat little spot. I grew up a block away and remember when it opened.
Wow . . . that means it predates Busby's and Island. Which is saying something. (pours one out for Busby's)

I grew up 3 blocks away . . . . and now live 2 blocks away.

Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#354 Post by Brad Kane » August 3rd, 2015, 1:25 pm

DavidZ wrote:
Brad Kane wrote:
Wow . . . that means it predates Busby's and Island. Which is saying something. (pours one out for Busby's)

Yep. Haven't thought of Busby's in awhile. I take it you've been to Sfoglia? Glad to see that corner get some stability. Nothing lasted there since '77 until they opened there in '06. I haven't been there since Ron and Colleen left in '10, though.
itb.

D@v1dZ

#355 Post by D@v1dZ » August 3rd, 2015, 2:07 pm

Brad Kane wrote:
DavidZ wrote:
Brad Kane wrote:

Yep. Haven't thought of Busby's in awhile. I take it you've been to Sfoglia? Glad to see that corner get some stability. Nothing lasted there since '77 until they opened there in '06. I haven't been there since Ron and Colleen left in '10, though.

Yeah. Forgive the thread drift but:

Sfoglia is fine, but the service is . . . difficult. They don't know whether to fashion themselves as a Swifty's / Orsay type rich man's diner or a honest-to-goodness restaurant, which leads to awkward situations like being turned away from empty seats at the bar that they're holding for 'regulars'. Pricing is eye-watering, food quality is good - different than Paola's on 92 and Madison, but not necessarily better. They always have reasonably priced Franciacorta BTG and bottle, and my wife and I adore Franciacorta, so that's a plus. I go once every couple of months, but I don't find it to be life-changing.

Paola's, in the old Busby's space (and formerly of 85th street back to the 80s), is a somewhat better restaurant, but it doesn't necessarily have better food. It's different kind of restaurant - more of a place to go on Sunday night for basic pasta dishes; sort of an Italian version of Busby's. To wit - I went there last night and had shrimp in angel hair. The wine list is an abomination. I've had really lovely dishes there (the basic pastas are uniformly delicious) and some duds (a truffle special that had been juiced with truffle oil, for instance). I also go there every couple of months. I like the atmosphere.

Vico is cash-only and so expensive that it hurts. I haven't been in years.

Morini down on 85th is clearly the class of the bunch; since they made the portions smaller and the pricing lower, it's a reasonable alternative to any of the above, as long as you are willing to eat lightly. The cooking is incredibly sophisticated - the chef was the last chef at Alto before it closed, and he's very, very talented. The downside is that the restaurant is the stuffiest of the bunch; it doesn't have the country-club-dining-room feeling of Paola's. Otherwise, I'd eat there whenever I wanted Italian.

FWIW, they've opened two branches of Via Quadronno in the neighborhood - both owned by the same group that owns Bottega del Vino on 60th (?) and 5th. Neither is good, but then again, nor is Bottega del Vino.

Table d'Hote is the best of the other options in Carnegie Hill. There are the usual mediocre places on Madison - Pascalou, Le Paris Bistrot (nee Bistro du Nord). The mediocre Indian restaurant that went into the old Saranac space closed recently, I wonder what it will be replaced with. Island is still around and is what it is. (It offers $25 corkage, FWIW.)

The light dining available at the Carnegie Hill branch of Lucy's Whey is pretty good, albeit limited by the Bunsen-burner type facilities they have in the kitchen. ABV, on 97th and Lex, is alright - the new chef is a vast improvement over the prior chef, but the atmosphere is still more bar than restaurant. Super wine list, though - the owner is a huge wine geek and opened the superb Vinyl Wine across the street on 97th and Lex that's slowly putting K&D out of business.

El Paso Taqueria, on 97th between Madison and Park, is still a better Mexican place than the neighborhood deserves, though nothing compares to the food at the late, great Taco Taco on 89th and 2nd, when the grandma was still alive and in the kitchen and turning out some of the most creative Mexican food I've ever eaten. Speaking of 89th and 2nd, you can still go to Chef Ho's and get the exact same classic NYC 'Cantonese' food in the exact same dining room as you would've 25 years ago, which is one of the reasons I love the Upper East Side - I mean, I love going out to Flushing or down to East Broadway as much as the next guy, geek out on regional Chinese food, but sometimes your inner 8 year-old just wants freshly-fried orange chicken served on a linen tablecloth, and orange wedges to end your meal.

What else is there . . . the abominable Lex restaurant, on 90th, one of the worst restaurants in the city. Peri Ela, a decent but unexceptional Turkish restaurant on 90th and Lex that's reasonably BYO friendly. Kaia Wine Bar, a South African wine bar on 91st and 3rd (I know, hardly Carnegie Hill) that has a South Africa chef and food that's a million times better and more authentic than the vastly overrated Madiba of Fort Greene and Harlem fame.

They opened a branch of Lloyd's Carrot Cake on 100th and Lex, which is wonderful. Dough Loco is a superb donut shop - about as good as you'll find anywhere - owned by the ABV guys, located on 98th and Madison.

And Yura's is still kicking (as is, I believe, the owner Yura, despite her significant health problems) - has been on Madison for about 20 years, started on 3rd for about 10 years before that, and still has superb baked goods and prepared food. Beats the pants off of Eli's, IMO. I suspect the Nightingale girls keep her in business, but man are her scones good.

Thus endeth the brief thread drift into the sleepy-yet-surprisingly-good food scene of Carnegie Hill.

ArtF

#356 Post by ArtF » August 9th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Les Halles, John Street location, near WTC charges $25, serviceable stems. Accommodating wine steward, but we only had one bottle. Steak frites had a good sized, tender piece of meat with beefy flavor and very crisp, greaseless fries. Excellent french press coffee. Could use a little sprucing up, but seems perfect for this old part of NYC.

http://leshalles.net/location/les-halles-downtown/
Art Forman

Ramon C

#357 Post by Ramon C » August 10th, 2015, 10:36 am

Sundays-only no-corkage, 3-bottle limit per table (I think, but not strictly enforced as far as I can tell), at Collichio and Sons at Chelsea.

The four of us, with me being the only relative wine-geek, went for an early dinner yesterday. Good food and overall service, including wine service with offered decanting, Burgundy stems in addition to serviceable all-purpose stems. A good Sunday option for a small group.

http://www.craftrestaurantsinc.com/colicchio-and-sons/
@brera

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#358 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 10th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Ramon, are they still doing the all small plates thing?
Best,
Paul Jaouen

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#359 Post by scamhi » August 10th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:Ramon, are they still doing the all small plates thing?
from the top of their dinner menu
"Our dishes are all appetizer-sized.
When dining out in recent years, I found myself ordering
several appetizers in order to experience more of a chef’s
creativity and wanted to offer a way for you to do the same."
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Ramon C

#360 Post by Ramon C » August 11th, 2015, 5:50 am

Paul (and Suzanne),

We ate at the more casual Taproom, instead of the Dining room. The menu at the Taproom is slightly different from the Dining room, with regular appetizer-sized appetizers and the portion sizes of the entrees are closer to regular entree-size entrees. Good value for good food and service, I think.

Ramon
@brera

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#361 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 12th, 2015, 5:30 am

Has anyone ever had an issue bringing a pre-opened (full) bottle to a restaurant?

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#362 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 12th, 2015, 5:40 am

No and I do it often as I pre-check for corked wine or want to double-decant.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

D@v1dZ

#363 Post by D@v1dZ » August 12th, 2015, 6:45 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:Has anyone ever had an issue bringing a pre-opened (full) bottle to a restaurant?
Generally not an issue in NYC, but can be a problem in other jurisdictions - some places have laws against a restaurant serving a pre-opened bottle, and the restaurants are super sensitive because of sting operations. Sometimes the regulations can be on a town-by-town or county-by-county basis, so it never hurts to call ahead . . .

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#364 Post by Jay Miller » August 12th, 2015, 6:57 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:Has anyone ever had an issue bringing a pre-opened (full) bottle to a restaurant?
There was a whole thread on that problem in San Francisco. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#365 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 12th, 2015, 7:56 am

Jay Miller wrote:
There was a whole thread on that problem in San Francisco. I'll see if I can find it for you.
I am just looking at in Manhattan...so sounds like it won't be an issue.

RMolnar

#366 Post by RMolnar » August 16th, 2015, 6:28 pm

RMolnar wrote:Per the Chambers St Facebook page, King Bee on 9th St is now doing BYOB for Sunday brunch and dinner.
http://www.kingbeenyc.com/
Had a very nice dinner at King Bee this evening. Confirmed that they are BYOB on Sundays. We were all very pleased with the food and service, and were surprised that we were the only table from when we walked in at 6:30 until around 8pm (hopefully that's just an August thing). The wine list was also quite up our alley so we'd be happy to go back and buy a bottle sometime.
R@chel

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#367 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 17th, 2015, 5:47 am

Maialino up to $30.

Wine service was good but service in general stunk our last visit. Food fantastic as always.

ArtF

#368 Post by ArtF » October 10th, 2015, 10:47 am

Peking Duck House in Chinatown is still free BYO. We brought our own wine chiller which I recommend because I did not see any on other tables. Glasses good for maybe mid-priced bottles. Service is more functional than anything else. But that is what I expect in Chinatown. Maitre D' pulls the corks in the kitchen and returns opened bottles to your table, and you use the same plate and wine glass all night (and fork if you do not use chopsticks). Food was ok and reasonably priced for family sized portions. Compared to other restaurants in Chinatown, I liked it a lot, but more for the white table cloth atmosphere than the food.
Art Forman

ArtF

#369 Post by ArtF » October 18th, 2015, 7:57 am

Brasserie 8 1/2 on 57th street across from Carnegie Hall. $38 Lobster BYOB / Sunday + Monday Nights through Oct. 26. Large booths, good service, great value. Usually $25 for corkage.
https://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant. ... ants_id=67

larry chen

#370 Post by larry chen » October 25th, 2015, 12:58 pm

We just went to Eleven B on 11th and Avenue B on Saturday night. Corkage was 5 dollar a bottle and service was good. Stemware was typical small italian heavy glasses but our waiter was very attentive and took good care of us. Food was also good, had a good spread of pizza, chicken parm and salad.

Bdklein

#371 Post by Bdklein » October 26th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Looking for some help with a Manhattan restaurant for 4 people next Saturday night where we can BYOB 3-4 bottles. Figure White Burgundy, then Pinot or Burgundy, then Bordeaux or Cab.
Midtown/Uptown preferred.

Want good food but want to be able to open our wines. Celebrating 2 50th birthdays.

Made ressie at Brasserie 8-1/2 based on my reading here. Any other suggestions?
Bruce Klein

ArtF

#372 Post by ArtF » October 29th, 2015, 11:59 am

Brasserie 8 1/2 has extended their Sun and Mon no corkage byob policy indefinitely. Featuring Nantucket bay scallops for November.

https://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant. ... RASSERIE-8
Art Forman

ArtF

#373 Post by ArtF » November 2nd, 2015, 1:17 pm

Rock Center Cafe is $25 per bottle. Reminds me of Hillstone type food and service, but where else could you enjoy a bottle from your cellar while watching skaters go round and round on the other side of the floor to ceiling windows. https://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant. ... ants_id=18
Art Forman

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#374 Post by C Prince » November 4th, 2015, 9:55 am

Little Park (W. Broadway at Chambers). Corkage is a very reasonable $35 per bottle with a 2 bottle limit. Glassware is great. Food was good to very good. We would go back.

http://www.littlepark.com/

Oops! Sorry Dan, this one has the link....
∰Col leen∰

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#375 Post by C Prince » November 4th, 2015, 10:01 am

Tasca Chino (Park Ave @ 20th) Corkage is $40 per bottle. Glassware is great. Went for the dumplings and tapas. Some interesting mixes of ingredients but was not as bowled over by the dumplings as I had hoped to be. Very attentive service.

http://www.tascachino.com/
∰Col leen∰

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#376 Post by Dan Hammer » November 4th, 2015, 12:13 pm

C Prince wrote:Little Park (W. Broadway at Chambers). Corkage is a very reasonable $35 per bottle with a 2 bottle limit. Glassware is great. Food was good to very good. We would go back.

The links are appreciated. In the next few weeks, I'll update the first post.
This space for rent.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#377 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » November 4th, 2015, 12:21 pm

I'd rate the food a bit higher than you did. My favorite Carmellini restaurant by far.
C Prince wrote:Little Park (W. Broadway at Chambers). Corkage is a very reasonable $35 per bottle with a 2 bottle limit. Glassware is great. Food was good to very good. We would go back.

Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

D@v1dZ

#378 Post by D@v1dZ » November 10th, 2015, 11:19 am

M. Wells Steakhouse - $30 normally, no corkage Monday. http://magasinwells.com/menus/steakhouse/dinner/

K e v i n B.

#379 Post by K e v i n B. » November 10th, 2015, 12:01 pm

DavidZ wrote:M. Wells Steakhouse - $30 normally, no corkage Monday. http://magasinwells.com/menus/steakhouse/dinner/
is that a diner?? there must be 350 items on that menu! [swoon.gif]
B-y-r-n-e

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#380 Post by Dan Hammer » January 1st, 2016, 3:41 pm

L'Artusi in the West Village has a $30 corkage. http://www.lartusi.com/
This space for rent.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Dan Hammer » January 2nd, 2016, 6:36 pm

Updated through January 2, 2016. All new additions to the first post have the date that they were added to the list. Hope this helps.
This space for rent.

ArtF

#382 Post by ArtF » January 10th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Enjoyed Santa Fe last night. Convenient to Lincoln Center. Reasonably priced southwest cooking and attentive service. Creative specials. We brought a full throttle Napa cab that worked well with the spices. Corkage is still $15. Not sure how much they charge for more than one bottle. Even though restaurant was crowded, kitchen and servers were on the ball.
Art Forman

Ramon C

#383 Post by Ramon C » January 11th, 2016, 8:29 am

ArtF wrote:Enjoyed Santa Fe last night. Convenient to Lincoln Center. Reasonably priced southwest cooking and attentive service. Creative specials. We brought a full throttle Napa cab that worked well with the spices. Corkage is still $15. Not sure how much they charge for more than one bottle. Even though restaurant was crowded, kitchen and servers were on the ball.
Art,

I've a couple of French visitors that I will be taking out to dinner and they voiced out their preferences for Mexican or American or Tex-Mex. I don't do much of those locally, hence may take them to this place. If I do, I'd like to byob, what's the stem situation like?
@brera

ArtF

#384 Post by ArtF » January 11th, 2016, 9:01 am

Red or white wine bar stems. Bring a corkscrew unless you don't mind the bus person opening your bottle.
Art Forman

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by Michael Sopher » January 19th, 2016, 9:39 am

Had dinner at Fatty Fish (East 64th). It was very acceptable neighborhood sushi... There was a bottle of BYO'd wine on nearly every table. Attitude was very good.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#386 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » January 19th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Funny, I went there for the first time this weekend. Went there because I took my younger daughter and a couple of her friends and didn't feel like spending $1000+.

No corkage fee and as you said, very solid food. I was pleasantly surprised.

Michael Sopher wrote:Had dinner at Fatty Fish (East 64th). It was very acceptable neighborhood sushi... There was a bottle of BYO'd wine on nearly every table. Attitude was very good.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Jletchinger

#387 Post by Jletchinger » January 19th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Peking duck house is the best for nyc corkage. No charge, but bring glassware.
JoeyLetchinger WineLardernyc.com

D@v1dZ

#388 Post by D@v1dZ » January 20th, 2016, 8:46 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Funny, I went there for the first time this weekend. Went there because I took my younger daughter and a couple of her friends and didn't feel like spending $1000+.

No corkage fee and as you said, very solid food. I was pleasantly surprised.

Michael Sopher wrote:Had dinner at Fatty Fish (East 64th). It was very acceptable neighborhood sushi... There was a bottle of BYO'd wine on nearly every table. Attitude was very good.

This is a useful tip. Thanks!

Ramon C

#389 Post by Ramon C » January 21st, 2016, 7:49 am

R Cabrera wrote:
ArtF wrote:Enjoyed Santa Fe last night. Convenient to Lincoln Center. Reasonably priced southwest cooking and attentive service. Creative specials. We brought a full throttle Napa cab that worked well with the spices. Corkage is still $15. Not sure how much they charge for more than one bottle. Even though restaurant was crowded, kitchen and servers were on the ball.
Art,

I've a couple of French visitors that I will be taking out to dinner and they voiced out their preferences for Mexican or American or Tex-Mex. I don't do much of those locally, hence may take them to this place. If I do, I'd like to byob, what's the stem situation like?
I don't have much experience with Tex-Mex/Southwest, but our small non-uber-winegeek group, with visiting friends from Lyon, enjoyed all our dishes last night at Santa Fe in UES. Just as mentioned above, the food all appear to be well-executed and appealingly-presented, and were delicious, the service was attentive and un-rushed, and the ambiance was not uncomfortable. The restaurant was receptive to our byo'd dry German starter and 2 syrah that went well with the dishes, was quoted $15 corkage (stems are not the good kinds, but serviceable for the lower end CA syrah and Crozes Hermitage that we brought).
@brera

Ramon C

#390 Post by Ramon C » February 6th, 2016, 8:15 am

At Scarpetta for dinner last night. $35 corkage, 1 byo bottle per table max. Very helpful and attentive sommelier and wine service on both our byo and purchased-from-list bottle.

http://www.scarpettarestaurants.com/#!new-york/z072k
@brera

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#391 Post by Dan Hammer » February 6th, 2016, 10:20 am

R Cabrera wrote:At Scarpetta for dinner last night. $35 corkage, 1 byo bottle per table max. Very helpful and attentive sommelier and wine service on both our byo and purchased-from-list bottle.

http://www.scarpettarestaurants.com/#!new-york/z072k
Updated. Thanks for supplying the link. [cheers.gif]
This space for rent.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#392 Post by Jay Miller » February 8th, 2016, 7:40 am

Marea corkage is up to $65

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by Dan Hammer » February 8th, 2016, 9:12 am

Jay Miller wrote:Marea corkage is up to $65
At $50, they were pushing it. At $65... [soap.gif]

Updated.
This space for rent.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#394 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 8th, 2016, 2:21 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Marea corkage is up to $65
At $50, they were pushing it. At $65... [soap.gif]

Updated.
That's a lot, though last time I was there they didn't charge us when we ordered 1.5 more bottles (both <$100) off the list.

Drewt

#395 Post by Drewt » February 10th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Another vote for fatty fish. We have opened probably ten bottles there at once. Always cool and they try to give you as many glasses as you can reasonably fit on the table.
Drew Trivisonno

Ramon C

#396 Post by Ramon C » March 7th, 2016, 6:40 am

Last Saturday's dinner at El Quinto Pino, a Spanish tapas joint in Chelsea, included 3 BYOB'd bottles for $15 each. Stemware is not near the better kinds, but serviceable for the <$40 bottles that we brought. The food's good and the staff were all byob-friendly. Most in our party liked the authentic Spanish tapas, but also commented that Txikito's food, from a block away, is slightly better.

http://www.elquintopinonyc.com/about/
@brera

Josh Kurek
GCC Member
GCC Member

#397 Post by Josh Kurek » March 7th, 2016, 8:16 am

Txikito is same owners, also byo friendly, cost is similar for corkage from memory. But no stems, need to bring your own.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#398 Post by Jay Miller » March 9th, 2016, 7:48 am

Josh Kurek wrote:Txikito is same owners, also byo friendly, cost is similar for corkage from memory. But no stems, need to bring your own.
Txikito has stems. Not great but not terrible.

JLee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#399 Post by JLee » March 12th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Hakata Tonton corkage is $40. Pretty steep given that's close to the average price of the bottle of wine on their list.
J a m e s

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#400 Post by Michel Abood » March 12th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Noreetuh, a Hawaiian fusion place in the East Village, just announced corkage-free Sunday.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”