Jersey City and Northern NJ

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#201 Post by Jay Miller » June 12th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:Friends I trust recently recommended Pucciarello Italian Kitchen in East Hanover - the owner/chef was previously at Cielo in Caldwell and is getting rave reviews. Going to try it next weekend.
Went last Friday and loved it so much, that I went back with my daughter and friend Tuesday night! Nothing fancy but an extensive, wonderful menu and very good food.
What is their corkage policy?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#202 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » June 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:Friends I trust recently recommended Pucciarello Italian Kitchen in East Hanover - the owner/chef was previously at Cielo in Caldwell and is getting rave reviews. Going to try it next weekend.
Went last Friday and loved it so much, that I went back with my daughter and friend Tuesday night! Nothing fancy but an extensive, wonderful menu and very good food.
What is their corkage policy?
it's BYO, Jay!

JeromeHan

#203 Post by JeromeHan » June 19th, 2018, 11:35 am

Nothing definitive, but I am very excited to see Chef Christine Nunn return. Picnic was one of my favorite restaurants in the area.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drin ... te-summer/

Ian Dorin

Re: Jersey City and Northern NJ

#204 Post by Ian Dorin » October 12th, 2018, 10:26 am

Heirloom Kitchen. I've been twice. Once was disappointing, once was terrific. The staff is amazing though, and will definitely give it another shot.

Something I haven't seen listed is Viaggio. It's also my own fault. It's absolutely the single best Italian restaurant in NJ, hands down. Creative, unique, and consistent.

Having said that, here's a "things on the horizon" list.

Robbie Felice from Viaggio is opening a new restaurant in Westwood, NJ called Osterio Crescendo. It will have a liquor license. Stay tuned!

Felina- This is Anthony Bucco. Two locations coming (apparently). New Hope and Ridgewood.

White Birch- This is opening in Flanders. This is Chef Sam Freund from Slamwich in Madison. This is white table cloth though, and looks incredibly promising. Just FAR.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by C Prince » October 13th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Ian, White Birch sounds like it could be interesting so thank you for mentioning it! Curious about how in the heck they would locate it Flanders. We’re in Peapack and could do the schlep but even we think that’s a bit loco.
∰Col leen∰

Ian Dorin

#206 Post by Ian Dorin » October 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

C Prince wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 7:42 pm
Ian, White Birch sounds like it could be interesting so thank you for mentioning it! Curious about how in the heck they would locate it Flanders. We’re in Peapack and could do the schlep but even we think that’s a bit loco.
I haven't spoken with Sam in detail about it yet (just the classic Congrats!), but I'm sure there was a good reason.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 15th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I'm psyched about chef Robbie's new place is it will be half the distance from my house...on the other hand I wish it was byo!

Ian Dorin

#208 Post by Ian Dorin » October 17th, 2018, 10:38 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 3:03 pm
I'm psyched about chef Robbie's new place is it will be half the distance from my house...on the other hand I wish it was byo!
I'm (hopefully) going to see Robbie next Thursday. I'll ask him and report back.
ITB

Zachy's

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#209 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 22nd, 2018, 5:19 am

The team behind South + Pine in Morristown opened a sister restaurant in Madison called Central + Main. It's BYO and casual, with a similar, but more extensive, menu than the original.

Ian H

#210 Post by Ian H » October 27th, 2018, 12:11 pm

October 22nd, 2018, 5:19 am
The team behind South + Pine in Morristown opened a sister restaurant in Madison called Central + Main. It's BYO and casual, with a similar, but more extensive, menu than the original.
I went here last night for the first time and thought it was great. Duck tacos, mussels and Lamb sirloin were all very good. 2010 Cos D'estournel I was totin' was solid, if not too young. Looking forward to going back to Central + Main.
@@S

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#211 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Ian H wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 12:11 pm
I went here last night for the first time and thought it was great. Duck tacos, mussels and Lamb sirloin were all very good. 2010 Cos D'estournel I was totin' was solid, if not too young. Looking forward to going back to Central + Main.
I went back again and had the scallops with root vegetable hash - delicious, wanted to lick my plate!

Ian H

#212 Post by Ian H » October 27th, 2018, 4:15 pm

October 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Ian H wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 12:11 pm
I went back again and had the scallops with root vegetable hash - delicious, wanted to lick my plate!

Nice, that looked good too. The whole menu looked good. Good to have another solid spot in the area, let alone BYO. The weekend before we went to Daddy Matty's, also in Madison, also BYO. BBQ joint. Really good ribs. They do a lot of catering, but have a comfortable casual dining room.
@@S

Rich Salsano

#213 Post by Rich Salsano » November 19th, 2018, 4:05 am

Viaggio was killer. Would definitely go back. And I am adding Central and Main to the list! Thanks folks!!
Richard Salsano

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Jay Miller » November 19th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 10:26 am
Heirloom Kitchen. I've been twice. Once was disappointing, once was terrific. The staff is amazing though, and will definitely give it another shot.

Something I haven't seen listed is Viaggio. It's also my own fault. It's absolutely the single best Italian restaurant in NJ, hands down. Creative, unique, and consistent.

Robbie Felice from Viaggio is opening a new restaurant in Westwood, NJ called Osterio Crescendo. It will have a liquor license. Stay tuned!

Felina- This is Anthony Bucco. Two locations coming (apparently). New Hope and Ridgewood.

White Birch- This is opening in Flanders. This is Chef Sam Freund from Slamwich in Madison. This is white table cloth though, and looks incredibly promising. Just FAR.
Ian - while I'm perfectly happy to let this become a general restaurant recommendation thread theoretically it's for a BYOs. So any idea on what the BYO/corkage policies are for these restaurants? Even just "they don't allow BYO" is fine.

Other than Heirloom which of course we already know.

BTW - the chef at Heirloom Kitchen is on Top Chef this coming season. The restaurant had originally claimed he was away studying in Europe to conceal his participation.

Ian Dorin

#215 Post by Ian Dorin » November 20th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Ian Dorin wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 10:26 am

Ian - while I'm perfectly happy to let this become a general restaurant recommendation thread theoretically it's for a BYOs. So any idea on what the BYO/corkage policies are for these restaurants? Even just "they don't allow BYO" is fine.

Other than Heirloom which of course we already know.

BTW - the chef at Heirloom Kitchen is on Top Chef this coming season. The restaurant had originally claimed he was away studying in Europe to conceal his participation.
White Birch is BYOB for sure (and I've gotten excellent feedback so far on the quality of the food).

Robbie asked me about things like corkage for Crescendo, and is definitely going to allow our crowd to bring big time wines for a reasonable fee. I'll let everyone know more when it opens.

Felina is TBD too, but I think he's being open minded as well.
ITB

Zachy's

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 21st, 2018, 12:36 pm

https://www.northjersey.com/story/life/ ... 079123002/

Did not realize it HAD been illegal for a restaurant to advertise that they are BYOB (not sure what advertising actually "means" as I've certainly seen it on restaurant websites). But apparently now it's not.

Ian Dorin

#217 Post by Ian Dorin » November 23rd, 2018, 7:26 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 12:36 pm
https://www.northjersey.com/story/life/ ... 079123002/

Did not realize it HAD been illegal for a restaurant to advertise that they are BYOB (not sure what advertising actually "means" as I've certainly seen it on restaurant websites). But apparently now it's not.
Actually, this is QUITE the interesting discussion to have. If you look in the NJ ABC handbook under BYOB, it does outline the law that you can't advertise that you are BYOB, but at the end it says BYOB is not under the purview of the ABC (which is funny). We recently had to do our due diligence on this as we opened a store in a market where we did not know the local rules, and the enforcement of anything pertaining to BYOB laws is passed off by the ABC (since the ABC only governs LICENSED establishments, not unlicensed) to the local municipalities, meaning each town has their own laws....or doesn't (in the case of Morristown). Montclair has very clearly defined laws for BYOB, which is interesting.
ITB

Zachy's

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by C Prince » February 7th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Ian thank you for posting about White Birch - we’ve got a reservation to try it Saturday night.
∰Col leen∰

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by cjsavino » March 10th, 2019, 9:09 am

We went to Le Petite Temptation in Cranford last night for the first time. Small venue, only 16-20 seats at 5-6 tables. A fixed price menu @$55 for five courses with desert. Starter was a cauliflower purée soup with a bit of star anise, very light and a good start. Next was a chef selection of sea scallop tartar, we both like this. For the appetizer I had a tomato stuffed with escargot and my wife had endive stuffed with shrimp, both good.

For mains we had a duck leg with roasted eggplant and halibut with roasted anise.

The menus change monthly, will make a return trip.
Chris

RCarbain
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by RCarbain » April 5th, 2019, 1:45 pm

I'm a fan of Corto in Jersey City: https://www.cortojc.com. You may want to bring stems (they serve in bcaro style glasses) but a small changing menu of fresh-made pastas and proteins. The owner has their own salumeria so the meat and cheese plates are usually quite good as well.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by Ethan Abraham » April 27th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Osteria Crescendo is $25 corkage but not allowed Friday and Saturday. Wine list is an interesting mix of Italian wines but almost all low end and all young (and high markup despite low price) So if you want to drink old barolo here on a weekend you are SOL.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Jay Miller » April 27th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 6:52 pm
Osteria Crescendo is $25 corkage but not allowed Friday and Saturday. Wine list is an interesting mix of Italian wines but almost all low end and all young (and high markup despite low price) So if you want to drink old barolo here on a weekend you are SOL.
What city is it in?

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Ethan Abraham » April 28th, 2019, 3:59 am

Westwood, it's the new place from the viaggio chef.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Dan Hammer » October 3rd, 2019, 7:59 am

We're going to the Yogi Berra Museum in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations within a 20 minute ride that's BYO friendly? Thanks. All food types considered. Can be high or low end $.

Dan
This space for rent.

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Gil Bauer » October 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 7:59 am
We're going to the Yogi Berra Museum in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations within a 20 minute ride that's BYO friendly? Thanks. All food types considered. Can be high or low end $.

Dan
Dinner?

Lots of good BYO options nearby:

https://turtleandthewolf.com - call 24 hrs ahead for the large format fried chicken meal (unless you have people who won't eat fried chicken)

http://fascinorestaurant.com/

https://biviopizza.com/

Many other choices if you want to be more specific.
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#226 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 4th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 7:59 am

Dan
Gil made some great suggestions. A couple other BYO's in montclair that I like are:
Zeugma
Laurel and Sage
Scala del Nonna

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by mattcitrang » October 4th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Turtle and The Wolf gets my recommendation. Dined there several times and attended an offline there. Great food and atmosphere. You won’t be disappointed.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Dan Hammer » October 4th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Time for me to do a little extra research. Thanks.
This space for rent.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by cjsavino » October 5th, 2019, 5:01 am

Had dinner at Fascino last month, very nice
Chris

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”