Jersey City and Northern NJ

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Jersey City and Northern NJ

#1 Post by Jay Miller » May 17th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Lots of good choices here. I'll start listing a few and keep filling in as more occur (or of course as others post).

Jersey City

Roman Nose - very good pastas and pizzas. $15 corkage. Excellent food-friendly cocktail list prepared by their knowledgeable hipster bartender. Try the blood orange spritz or the Italo-Americano. Currently one of my favorite places in Jersey City for a casual meal.

Dolma - Excellent Turkish accented restaurant. Lamb chops would be great with most reds. BYO with decent glasses though if you're as picky as me you'll bring your own. Associated with Two Aprons. Small restaurant but very welcoming staff.

Grand Sichuan - a branch of the NYC Grand Sichuans. Food has gone up and down in quality (as of May 2018 it's the best it's ever been) but it's by far the best Chinese option in JC. Free corkage. Bring glasses.

Liberty Prime - Great steak from deBragga. $30 corkage and they won't budge even for a large group on a Monday or Tuesday night.

Razza - excellent pizza (previously I had always thought that Jersey City was where New York exiled people who didn't know how to make pizza) and meatballs. $25 flat corkage per table. No reservations.

Satis Bistro - Good mix of charcuterie and pates on the menu and food overall was very good with the short ribs and mashed potatoes with chorizo being outstanding. Stems are good. Oxtails were meaty and delicious and the gelato sundae was delightful. Terrible fried chicken. $20 corkage.

Tacqueria Downtown - great tacos and other Mexican dishes. Free corkage. Fish tacos and Huet Vouvray rock. Bring glasses.

Beechwood Cafe - casual, pleasant atmosphere. Decent salads, sandwiches, pastas, cakes. Nothing to go out of your way for but nothing to avoid either. Free corkage. Bring glasses.

Pasta Dal Cuore - A remarkably mediocre Italian restaurant attached to an excellent fresh pasta retail shop. BYO. I'm told the food has gotten better.

Sakura - mediocre Japanese. Free corkage

Honshu - decent Japanese. Free corkage (I'll need to verify that since they moved recently).

More - Ok Japanese/Thai. Free corkage.

Wild Fusion - Ok Chinese/Japanese/Thai. Free corkage.

Abbondanza Trattoria - Good solid southern Italian cooking. Free corkage and decent glassware. The osso buco was a bit tough but I've liked the pizzas, risotto and calamari so far.

GP's in Hamilton Park (Jersey City) very good Italian with great outdoor tables in nice weather. $15 corkage.
http://www.gpsrestaurant.com/jersey-city-menu

Sam AM - 112 Morris St. (betw. Washington and Warren) in Jersey City. They are mostly an excellent coffee shop (they get their coffee from the Stumptown in Brooklyn) but they are doing BYO dinners on Thursday nights, pricing was $45 on the first one I saw.

Broa - Portuguese tapas. BYO, bring glasses. Very satisfying, homey food. Highlights were head on shrimp and gizzard and heart stew. Good custard tarts. Edited to add: our second visit was disappointing, the food was very salty.

Ahri's Kitchen - Korean. Full corkage-free BYOB with serviceable stemless tumblers, not the good thin kinds.

Hoboken:

Top food and/or atmosphere:
Anthony David's - New american / Northern Italian leaning.. more upscale
Zafra - excellent pan-latin restaurant
La Isla - Great cuban food

lots of mediocre italian spots:
Trattoria Sapporito
Picolo Roma

Its Greek to Me
Robongi - sushi

Bernardsville
Bistro Seventy Three - Glassware was acceptable, modified zalto type glass. Worth a return.

Caldwell

Stephanie's Italian Restaurant - Bloomfield Ave. - they've got an appetizer featuring sausage, hot peppers, broccoli rabe & polenta that I love, and the chicken giambotta is a great entree.

Xunta - BYO tapas, especially enjoyed the skirt steak, the squid in squid ink with cilantro rice, the grilled chorizo with caramelized onions and the puff pastry chicken empanada. Prawns were also good - though a little overcooked the sauce was delicious.

Chatham
we like D'oro and Gregorios (both loud and better for larger groups, but good fo<script id="gpt-impl-0.59298668232421" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt ... /script>od).

Cranford:
A Toute Heure - Farm to table concept, and Tuesday's mussel pot night is PERFECT for those that have wives that want you to save the weekends for them. Glassware is solid, service is usually good, but make your reservations WAY in advanced. Best to find an available date, and build the group around who can go.
Pairings - they have a great bargain on Wednesdays with prix fixe menu for $35 for 4 courses. Bring your own stems.

East Hanover
Pucciarello Italian Kitchen - Nothing fancy but an extensive, wonderful menu and very good food. BYO

East Rutherford
Sorrento Ristorante http://sorrentoristorantenj.com great food, good stemware

Edgewater
Jack's Lobster Shack - great steamers, crab, lobster roll and chips. Good key lime pie. So-so Lobster Bisque.

Fort Lee
Prime & Beyond - It's a butcher shop in the morning and steakhouse at night. They dry age their meat in-house I believe. No corkage fee but stems are hit or miss.

Madison:
Il Mondo Vecchio (http://ilmondovecchio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Resto (http://www.restonj.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Osteria Trevi

Maplewood
Lorena's - Perfect for the train folks as the Maplewood train stop is directly behind the restaurant. Stemware is good, and food is arguably the best in NJ.
Arturo's (fantastic pizzas and pasta) BYO

Martinsville
Lombardi Pizza
Cafe Venezia - a really solid BYO Italian restaurant

Millburn
Basilico's - Walking distance from train. Another Italian place. Some might complain, but I have had nothing short of great experiences, and the stemware is .good too.
La Pergola - a new northern Italian BYO restaurant - we had a good meal there and liked the ambiance.
Khun Thai -
1. A Thai restaurant called Khun Thai. GREAT Thai food, I have never been charged corkage, good pricing, but bring your own stems.
2.Will endorse Khun Thai too, but can't stress how important it is to bring your own stems! It's like PDH!
Tillie's - a new rustic, farm to table restaurant in Millburn. BYO with Nice stemware too. It's a bit loud in terms of acoustics (tin ceiling and long thin layout don't help), but I liked it.
Common Lot opening soon, will be BYO. That one looks a bit more upscale.

Montclair:
Fascino, Osteria Giotto is BYO -- so $0 corkage at all times. It is a very good casual place. Often hard to get a reservation. "patently average across the board"

Morris Plains
Civile - great food, service, and plenty of glasses.

Morristown
South and Pine - Food was terrific - loved an appetizer of spicy lamb meatballs although it was too spicy for the chard that we brought. It's totally BYOB - $0 corkage which is hard to beat!

Old Bridge

Heirloom Kitchen – 3853 Route 516 Old Bridge, NJ 08557 - Open Friday - Sunday for dinner only, are BYO, and the chef is David Viana who I loved at The Kitchen At Grove Station. Food is great, service really good, they welcome BYO. They have reasonably good glassware but not good enough to skip bringing my own. Duck breast is a must order, the bread and butter is worth paying for, octopus is good, salads and desserts are very good. I'd skip the Skate Wing. Lots of things I haven't tried yet.
https://heirloomkitchen.com/restaurant/

Ramsey
Cafe Panache

Russilo's - Bloomfield Ave - Another nice Italian place, a step down from Stephanie's but still very good

Ridgewood
Cravings

Rutherford

Cafe Matisse - From the past, I like them, but it is pricey and sometimes they seem to try to do a little too much. I just looked at the Cafe Matisse menu....now called a "grazing menu". Dishes are bigger than an app but smaller than an entree. $65 for 3 selections or $79 for 4 selections with additional $$$ supplement on some dishes.

Saddle River
Saddle River Inn

Springfield
And for those in the mood for really good Mexican, there is a place called Picante. Wife and I get take out all the time, but have not eaten at the restaurant. This is probably BYOG too.
Two contrary opinions (including me) who say the food is pretty mediocre.

Summit:
Bona Vita Osteria (http://www.bonavitanj.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Taka in Summit for Sushi- Again, great for the train folks, and again, BYOG.
La Foccacia, great italian food, moderate pricing, and ZERO corkage. Their stemware is decent, but they have a limited supply of the better glasses.

Tenafly

Europe Cafe - Turkish

Verona

Ariane Kitchen - has many of her "favorites" from Culinariane -- the tuna sashimi "flower," cormeal-crusted oysters, etc. It is still a small menu, still well-executed. The room misses some of the coziness from Culinariane. Corkage is $25 per bottle; 2 bottles max per couple. Notably, Wednesdays are $0 corkage.

Westfield
Boulevard Bistro - had a hanger steak with broccoli rabe, wife had the chicken marsala. Both were quite good and reasonably priced.

Wayne
Wayne Steakhouse 2230 Hamburg Turnpike Wayne, NJ 07470-6258 Telephone: 973-616-0047 Website: http://www.waynesteakhouse.com
Free corkage.

West Orange
The Manor offers BYO on Wednesday nights accompanied by mediocre food. But there is a lot of it.
https://www.themanorrestaurant.com/wedn ... night.html

Union

The Red Cadillac - http://www.theredcadillacnj.com/ on Morris Ave. -
For fun mexican style food (though NOT a BYO that I know of....have not even asked). THE CLAM BUCKET for only $10 (Dozen Little Neck Clams steamed in a Cilantro broth) with nice garlic bread is delicious. We make a meal out of it.
They have a Margarita that is insanely good. I don't usually drink those things, but we love these.
Last edited by Jay Miller on November 18th, 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 106 times in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

K. Wagner

Re: Jersey City, NJ

#2 Post by K. Wagner » May 18th, 2010, 7:53 am

Head a little further west, and in Summit is La Foccacia, great italian food, moderate pricing, and ZERO corkage. Their stemware is decent, but they have a limited supply of the better glasses.

In Millburn, there is a Thai restaurant called Khun Thai. GREAT Thai food, I have never been charged corkage, good pricing, but bring your own stems.
~ Kevin

K e v i n B.

#3 Post by K e v i n B. » May 25th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Hoboken:

Top food and/or atmosphere:
Anthony David's - New american / Northern Italian leaning.. more upscale
Zafra - excellent pan-latin restaurant
La Isla - Great cuban food

lots of mediocre italian spots:
Trattoria Sapporito
Picolo Roma

Its Greek to Me
Robongi - sushi
B-y-r-n-e

Ian Dorin

#4 Post by Ian Dorin » June 1st, 2010, 10:29 am

K. Wagner wrote:Head a little further west, and in Summit is La Foccacia, great italian food, moderate pricing, and ZERO corkage. Their stemware is decent, but they have a limited supply of the better glasses.

In Millburn, there is a Thai restaurant called Khun Thai. GREAT Thai food, I have never been charged corkage, good pricing, but bring your own stems.

A few others:
Lorena's in Maplewood- Perfect for the train folks as the Maplewood train stop is directly behind the restaurant. Stemware is good, and food is arguably the best in NJ.

Basilico's in Millburn- Walking distance from train. Another Italian place. Some might complain, but I have had nothing short of great experiences, and the stemware is very good too.

Will endorse Khun Thai too, but can't stress how important it is to bring your own stems! It's like PDH!

And for those in the mood for really good Mexican, there is a place called Picante in Springfield. Wife and I get take out all the time, but have not eaten at the restaurant. This is probably BYOG too.

Taka in Summit for Sushi- Again, great for the train folks, and again, BYOG.

Apparently, there is no glassware in NJ! [rofl.gif]
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Paul Jaouen » June 1st, 2010, 12:20 pm

Recently had dinner at Basilico's after not going for a few years and it was excellent.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

K e v i n B.

#6 Post by K e v i n B. » June 1st, 2010, 12:55 pm

If we're extending Jersey City to Union and Morris county I can add a few in the area:

Summit:
Bona Vita Osteria (http://www.bonavitanj.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Madison:
Il Mondo Vecchio (http://ilmondovecchio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
B-y-r-n-e

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jay Miller » June 1st, 2010, 7:08 pm

K e v i n B. wrote:If we're extending Jersey City to Union and Morris county I can add a few in the area:

Summit:

Madison:

I guess I should rename the thread. I really intended this one to be for Jersey City...

Victor Hong

#8 Post by Victor Hong » June 2nd, 2010, 5:15 am

Jay Miller wrote: ........I guess I should rename the thread....
NJ Turnpike exit number might work. [wow.gif]
WineHunter.

StephenCFahy

Re: Jersey City, NJ and environs

#9 Post by StephenCFahy » June 2nd, 2010, 8:42 am

Northern NJ could easily be its own topic, but absent of that, here are my favorite Montclair, NJ picks:
Fascino, Osteria Giotto, Table 8, to name a few.
Stephen C. Fahy, DWS
ITB

Ian Dorin

Re: Jersey City, NJ and environs

#10 Post by Ian Dorin » February 22nd, 2011, 7:21 pm

StephenCFahy wrote:Northern NJ could easily be its own topic, but absent of that, here are my favorite Montclair, NJ picks:
Fascino, Osteria Giotto, Table 8, to name a few.
Blu needs to be added to this list of very good Montclair places. The food is quite good, but the service is dicey.

A Toute Heure in Cranford needs to be added as well. Farm to table concept, and Tuesday's mussel pot night is PERFECT for those that have wives that want you to save the weekends for them. Glassware is solid, service is usually good, but make your reservations WAY in advanced. Best to find an available date, and build the group around who can go.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Jersey City and Northern NJ

#11 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » February 28th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Totally agree with Ian on A Teute Heure. Excellent.
Didn't see Culinariane mentioned in Montclair - delicious food, very good stemware and excellent service (they will decant your wine too).
In Chatham, we like D'oro and Gregorios (both loud and better for larger groups, but good food).
And a new northern Italian BYO restaurant just opened in Millburn called La Pergola, opened by one of the waiters from La Foccaccia in Summit - we had a good meal there and liked the ambiance.

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Gil Bauer » March 1st, 2011, 7:47 am

Table 8 in Montclair closed some time ago, so it should be removed from the list.
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 1st, 2011, 10:07 am

Love ATH. I am there almost every week.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by cjsavino » March 6th, 2011, 6:50 am

Boulevard Bistro in Westfield. Went last night for dinner, had a hanger steak with broccoli rabe, wife had the chicken marsala. Both were quite good and reasonably priced.
Chris

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Bob Hughes » March 6th, 2011, 9:25 am

I don't get out in NJ as much as most of youse' guys, but I like Stephanie's Italian Restaurant on Bloomfield Ave. in Caldwell - they've got an appetizer featuring sausage, hot peppers, broccoli rabe & polenta that I love, and the chicken giambotta is a great entree.

Another nice Italian place, a step down from Stephanie's but still very good, is Russilo's, also on Bloomfield Ave., although that might be West Caldwell by then.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#16 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » April 18th, 2011, 4:18 am

cjsavino wrote:Boulevard Bistro in Westfield. Went last night for dinner, had a hanger steak with broccoli rabe, wife had the chicken marsala. Both were quite good and reasonably priced.
Do you mean Kenilworth?

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Paul Jaouen » April 18th, 2011, 5:51 am

Sherri Shapiro wrote:
cjsavino wrote:Boulevard Bistro in Westfield. Went last night for dinner, had a hanger steak with broccoli rabe, wife had the chicken marsala. Both were quite good and reasonably priced.
Do you mean Kenilworth?
It's in Westfield on South Avenue. I haven't been but I've seen it.

Pairings in Cranford is relatively new and they have a great bargain on Wednesdays with prix fixe menu for $35 for 4 courses. Bring your own stems.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by cjsavino » April 25th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Sherri Shapiro wrote:
Do you mean Kenilworth?

Pairings in Cranford is relatively new and they have a great bargain on Wednesdays with prix fixe menu for $35 for 4 courses. Bring your own stems.
That's the place on South Ave, have seen Pairings may need to try it.
Chris

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » May 12th, 2011, 5:59 am

Heard Pairings was very good.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Steve Manzi » May 12th, 2011, 8:33 am

Been to Pairings a few times, and really liked it. Big place too, so easy to get into. We were at ATH twice in the past week.

Jaouen, I guess we need to get together soon at one of them. See once and for all, who really has more hair now. And bring Sandy, because if it's just you, it's not worth the 3 mile trip. neener

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Steve Manzi » May 12th, 2011, 9:00 am

And if you like Blu in Montclair, then you have to like Blu Next Door. They won the NJ Magazine (I think) best hamburger. So the place got a little jammed for a while a few months ago. Same kitchen used for Blu, but a more straight forward menu with no ambience. Easy on the wallet too.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Steve Manzi » May 12th, 2011, 9:04 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Sherri Shapiro wrote:
Do you mean Kenilworth?

Is Boulevard Bistro the one across from the train station?

Sherri, you are thinking of Boulevard Five-72 I believe.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Paul Jaouen » May 12th, 2011, 10:22 am

Steve Manzi wrote:Been to Pairings a few times, and really liked it. Big place too, so easy to get into. We were at ATH twice in the past week.

Jaouen, I guess we need to get together soon at one of them. See once and for all, who really has more hair now. And bring Sandy, because if it's just you, it's not worth the 3 mile trip. neener
Lemme know.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Steve Manzi » May 12th, 2011, 10:30 am

I'll see what days Karen can get free over the next few weeks. What days are you in vegas? Send me some dates that work for you and maybe we can work it out before you go away. Or we will have to do it after mid june when we get back.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Steve Manzi » May 12th, 2011, 10:40 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Springfield
And for those in the mood for really good Mexican, there is a place called Picante. Wife and I get take out all the time, but have not eaten at the restaurant. This is probably BYOG too.
We went there a few months ago and thought it was VERY bland. Maybe we ordered the wrong things, but was not impressed.

For fun mexican style food (though NOT a BYO that I know of....have not even asked), try The Red Cadillac http://www.theredcadillacnj.com/....on Morris ave

THE CLAM BUCKET for only $10 (Dozen Little Neck Clams steamed in a Cilantro broth) with nice garlic bread is delicious. We make a meal out of it.

They have a Margarita that is insanely good. I don't usually drink those things, but we love these.

I think they are only open Wed-Sun. We've done lunches there and early dinners.
Wed 3:00-11:00
Thurs 3:00-11:00
Fri 11:30-1 am Lunch thru closing
Sat 3:00 - 1 am
Sun 1:00 - 9:00

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#26 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » May 14th, 2011, 8:10 am

Steve - thanks for the link - always looking for great Mexican. Will def try it.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Steve Manzi » May 14th, 2011, 9:57 am

Sherri Shapiro wrote:Steve - thanks for the link - always looking for great Mexican. Will def try it.
Not your normal mex place. Limited menu but whatever we get is always good. The Chrome Margahritas are great, and if you have at least 3 people, get the pitcher. Too much for just two unless you linger. Went the other day again for a very early dinner and had the clams again, and karen had the steak fajitas which were really good too. Let me know what you think when you go.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#28 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » June 23rd, 2011, 4:41 am

Finally got to try Boulevard in Westfield and we really enjoyed the food. They had tables outside but we chose to sit indoors. Very extensive and nice menu, the food was very good but the stemware not so much. Will definitely go back!

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Paul Jaouen » June 26th, 2011, 10:04 am

We went to Satis in Jersey City last evening. Good mix of charcuterie and pates on the menu and food overall was very good with the short ribs and mashed potatoes with chorizo being outstanding. Stems are good. I would return.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Rick Smith

#30 Post by Rick Smith » June 26th, 2011, 1:47 pm

Ian Dorin wrote: Lorena's in Maplewood- Perfect for the train folks as the Maplewood train stop is directly behind the restaurant. Stemware is good, and food is arguably the best in NJ.
went to Lorenas a couple of weeks ago. Damn good meal.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Steve Manzi » June 26th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Rick Smith wrote:
Ian Dorin wrote: Lorena's in Maplewood- Perfect for the train folks as the Maplewood train stop is directly behind the restaurant. Stemware is good, and food is arguably the best in NJ.
went to Lorenas a couple of weeks ago. Damn good meal.
Lorena's is outstanding. But they have gotten so up in price that it is almost a special occasion destiny for me. But outstanding food no matter.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Steve Manzi » June 26th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Not sure if there is a better place, for the price, than Blu Next Door, in Montclair. Went there a few weeks ago, as we were driving home, and made a note to myself that we need to go more often. I get caught up too much in not wanting to travel much.

Another place I have not been to in quite a while, is Cafe Matisse, in Rutherford. Anyone been lately? From the past, I like them, but it is pricey and sometimes they seem to try to do a little too much. That said, the eBob even we did for about 40 - 45 people, was terrific....not sure how long ago that really was. 5-6 years? Maybe others will remember.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Paul Jaouen » June 26th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Cafe Matisse is right near where Sandy and I work and yet we haven't been. No reason. I think that event was more like 10 years ago. You had a little more hair then.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Steve Manzi » June 26th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:Cafe Matisse is right near where Sandy and I work and yet we haven't been. No reason. I think that event was more like 10 years ago. You had a little more hair then.
You work? I didn't think you had time for work, what with golf and wine tastings taking up all your time. And back then, and even now, I bet I have more hair than you do. neener Which is like saying which pigmy casts the biggest shadow...but still. neener You just let your strands grow a little, and then rub em up and get some static electricity going on up there. [berserker.gif]

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Paul Jaouen » June 26th, 2011, 2:26 pm

I just looked at the Cafe Matisse menu....now called a "grazing menu". Dishes are bigger than an app but smaller than an entree. $65 for 3 selections or $79 for 4 selections with additional $$$ supplement on some dishes.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Steve Manzi » June 26th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:I just looked at the Cafe Matisse menu....now called a "grazing menu". Dishes are bigger than an app but smaller than an entree. $65 for 3 selections or $79 for 4 selections with additional $$$ supplement on some dishes.
I've been there since they made this change. And it is bigger than/smaller than for sure. But the prices have just gotten a little too much, from what I remember.

mike pobega

#37 Post by mike pobega » July 18th, 2011, 11:28 am

We just did a group of 6 at Madame Claude in jersey city last night.
Small little hole with a decent shabby-chic atmosphere. Food pretty good as well. My filet mignon (on special) was actually quite great. Be sure to add a side or two of some veggies. (The Ratatouille was a nice). The crepes were pretty good. My wife had the champignon, and the apple for dessert was better than the peach. The grilled shrimp appetizer was pretty nice too, but they ran out of mussels early since bouillabaisse was on the special board. We had an order just before and thought them ok. Good escargots.
All in all, a nice dinner, reasonably priced, but I would recco you bring glasses. The tiny jobbies they have are good for nada.

ajay acharya

#38 Post by ajay acharya » August 5th, 2011, 12:48 pm

mike pobega wrote:We just did a group of 6 at Madame Claude in jersey city last night.
Small little hole with a decent shabby-chic atmosphere. Food pretty good as well. My filet mignon (on special) was actually quite great. Be sure to add a side or two of some veggies. (The Ratatouille was a nice). The crepes were pretty good. My wife had the champignon, and the apple for dessert was better than the peach. The grilled shrimp appetizer was pretty nice too, but they ran out of mussels early since bouillabaisse was on the special board. We had an order just before and thought them ok. Good escargots.
All in all, a nice dinner, reasonably priced, but I would recco you bring glasses. The tiny jobbies they have are good for nada.
Going there this Thursday - thanks for the tips!

Do you think they would mind stemware being brought?

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 5th, 2011, 4:58 pm

They are fine with you bringing your own stems. This is a very casual bistro type place.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Jay Miller » August 9th, 2011, 8:37 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:They are fine with you bringing your own stems. This is a very casual bistro type place.
They're very nice there. Wish I was still nearby.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Steve Manzi » August 9th, 2011, 9:32 am

Sherri Shapiro wrote:Finally got to try Boulevard in Westfield and we really enjoyed the food. They had tables outside but we chose to sit indoors. Very extensive and nice menu, the food was very good but the stemware not so much. Will definitely go back!
We finally got a chance to check out this place. Sat inside, as it was hot and muggy. We were the only ones in the whole restaurant from about 5:30 - 6:30. It was a last minute decision to dine out, as we were coming from a doctors appt and grabbed a bottle at Cool Vines and went over. Whatever you do, bring stems. They have those tiny little bowl glasses. Ugh!

Food was ok. We shared a fried calamari dish that was a little over done. Would have been pretty good if cooked right.

Karen had skirt steak with Broc rabe and peppers. Ordered med rare and came out WELL done. Sent it back with no problems and it was pretty good when cooked med rare.

I had Talapia Francese, which was nice.

I would return in a pinch, but wouldn't seek it out.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 9th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Sherri Shapiro wrote:Finally got to try Boulevard in Westfield and we really enjoyed the food. They had tables outside but we chose to sit indoors. Very extensive and nice menu, the food was very good but the stemware not so much. Will definitely go back!
We finally got a chance to check out this place. Sat inside, as it was hot and muggy. We were the only ones in the whole restaurant from about 5:30 - 6:30.
Going for the early bird Senior discount?
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Jay Miller » August 23rd, 2011, 7:26 pm

If you go to Sati's DO NOT get the fried chicken. Maybe I'm spoiled by Soul Flavors but this stuff was awful. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad on the side was great though. Antipasto plate was eh.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 24th, 2011, 9:59 am

Just like fried chicken is the dish to get at Soul Flavors, short ribs is the dish to get at Satis.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jay Miller » August 28th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:Just like fried chicken is the dish to get at Soul Flavors, short ribs is the dish to get at Satis.
Maybe some time this week. But it's hard to argue with the oxtail either.

Ramon C

#46 Post by Ramon C » August 29th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Looked up Satis online. Impressive-looking menu, and that ox-tail dish is calling me out. Corkage-free byob? Is there a Path station nearby or do I have to drive-in?

Btw, agree that Fried Chicken is THE dish at Soul Flavors.
@brera

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jay Miller » September 12th, 2011, 8:21 am

Ramon Cabrera wrote:Looked up Satis online. Impressive-looking menu, and that ox-tail dish is calling me out. Corkage-free byob? Is there a Path station nearby or do I have to drive-in?
I'd say it's about an 10 minute walk SE from the Grove St. PATH stop and a 5 minute walk SW from the Exchange Place PATH stop. Short ribs are off the dinner menu (still there for brunch).

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Gil Bauer » December 22nd, 2011, 12:55 pm

A fairly new steakhouse (September '11?) started by ex-Peter Luger guys

http://www.waynesteakhouse.com/

They are running the Luger playbook with a few additions (they serve a good ribsteak) and No License.

They are currently BYO with no corkage fee.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2011, 3:43 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:A fairly new steakhouse (September '11?) started by ex-Peter Luger guys

http://www.waynesteakhouse.com/

They are running the Luger playbook with a few additions (they serve a good ribsteak) and No License.

They are currently BYO with no corkage fee.
Thanks for that heads up. Not much info on the site. What kind of pricing and size on the steaks, if you remember?

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Gil Bauer » December 22nd, 2011, 6:49 pm

A decent sized bone-in rib steak (22 oz.?) is ~ $43. They do "Steak for 2, 3, or 4" -- porterhouse Luger style -- I think that was about $45/person. All listed as Prime, dry-aged (and my steak seemed to be consistent with that claim). My wife had Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonian toothfish -- yes, I know it's endangered) for ~ $45 -- it looked to be at least 1 1/2 lbs (I had the leftovers the next day). All entrees include a decent house salad and onion rings. Service was amateurish but the food was good.

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”