Dallas

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Message
Author
User avatar
Doug Hackey
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Dallas

#51 Post by Doug Hackey » April 1st, 2013, 7:34 pm

Wife and I love Villas Grill (a Brazilian style steakhouse/Churrascaria in Irving - it's in old downtown Irving so don't expect upscale, but the food is great and there is no corkage. I would recommend bringing your own stems. Picanha, Garlic Steak, and the Pineapple sprinkled with cinnamon (all served via "spits") are some of my favorites. They also have lamb, bacon wrapped chicken, etc.. This place is a carnivores delight and if you leave hungry, it's your fault!
http://www.villasgrill.com/
My signature has no cash value.

User avatar
Doug Hackey
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Dallas

#52 Post by Doug Hackey » April 1st, 2013, 7:40 pm

In the mid-cities (Bedford), my wife and I also like to eat at Al Wadi - My favorite's are the lamb kebab and the Baba Ganoush (more fun to say than type). BYOB and no corkage. When they have chocolate up front, try a piece. Again, this is not upscale, but more of a hole in the wall, family owned place with good food. I recommend bring your own stems.
http://www.alwadicafe.com/
My signature has no cash value.

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Dallas

#53 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 1st, 2013, 8:04 pm

Doug Hackey wrote:Wife and I love Villas Grill (a Brazilian style steakhouse/Churrascaria in Irving - it's in old downtown Irving so don't expect upscale, but the food is great and there is no corkage. I would recommend bringing your own stems. Picanha, Garlic Steak, and the Pineapple sprinkled with cinnamon (all served via "spits") are some of my favorites. They also have lamb, bacon wrapped chicken, etc.. This place is a carnivores delight and if you leave hungry, it's your fault!
http://www.villasgrill.com/
Nice. I live five minutes away.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Dallas

#54 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:36 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Doug Hackey wrote:Wife and I love Villas Grill (a Brazilian style steakhouse/Churrascaria in Irving - it's in old downtown Irving so don't expect upscale, but the food is great and there is no corkage. I would recommend bringing your own stems. Picanha, Garlic Steak, and the Pineapple sprinkled with cinnamon (all served via "spits") are some of my favorites. They also have lamb, bacon wrapped chicken, etc.. This place is a carnivores delight and if you leave hungry, it's your fault!
http://www.villasgrill.com/
Nice. I live five minutes away.
I didn't know you were that close Tex. Next time we head there I'll drop you a line and see if you're available.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Dallas

#55 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

Only there for about four more months +/-. New construction down in Mansfield will take us far, far away.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Dallas

#56 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:42 am

I live in SW Arlington by Lake Arlington. You might actually be closer after you move!
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Dallas

#57 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:44 am

Possibly. We will be proximate to 360 and Broad.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Dallas

#58 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:49 am

Mansfield National. I'm roughly 15 minutes away.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Dallas

#59 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » April 2nd, 2013, 6:55 am

Cool.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Doug Hackey
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Dallas

#60 Post by Doug Hackey » April 2nd, 2013, 8:26 am

Hey Joe - if y'all do head that way - let me know and I'll see if Angie and I can make it (he said inviting himself to another meat-fest at Villas) - Cheers gents!
My signature has no cash value.

User avatar
Doug Hackey
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Dallas

#61 Post by Doug Hackey » May 21st, 2013, 11:07 pm

Just tried Trio last weekend... pretty good and we plan on returning to try again. Rack of lamb was pretty tasty. In Colleyville BYOB no corkage.

http://www.triocolleyville.com/
My signature has no cash value.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Dallas

#62 Post by Joe Dulworth » May 22nd, 2013, 7:40 am

Still need to make it up there to try it out. Maybe we'll meet you and Angie, perhaps Tom up there some day soon.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Scott Sutherland
Posts: 322
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Dallas

#63 Post by Scott Sutherland » July 17th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Heading to Dallas today and staying around the medical center for 2 nights (Dallas Children's). Any places I should hit up for dinner? I will have a car.

Scott Sutherland
Posts: 322
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Dallas

#64 Post by Scott Sutherland » July 17th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I am an omnivore, if that helps.

And love a great cocktail :)

Scott

User avatar
T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 320
Joined: October 31st, 2011, 11:05 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Dallas

#65 Post by T Fletcher » July 17th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Scott, we don't get over to Dallas often, but we were over at The Porch two weekends ago. That seems to be our go-to. Great craft beers, nice, albeit simple wines and great cocktails. With regard to food, I can recommend the Stodg Burger, Short Rib Stroganoff and almost anything off the Big Board...and the mac and cheese as a side. Just east of 75 (1/8 mile) on Henderson...north side of the road, valet behind.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#66 Post by awilliamson4 » July 25th, 2013, 6:48 am

Mike Anderson's Texas BBQ by Ut Southwestern allows BYO...food is very hit and miss.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#67 Post by awilliamson4 » July 25th, 2013, 6:49 am

Suze now offers free BYO on Tuesday nights and before 6:30 on Friday nights.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#68 Post by awilliamson4 » July 25th, 2013, 6:52 am

Eden Cafe on Lovers allows BYO...not sure of corkage though...surprisingly good food for what it looks like from the outside. Also, Balls Hamburgers on NW Hwy and Midway allows as well, not sure of the rules, but i would love to do a weekend lunch offline there....sliders and wine sounds pretty fun.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#69 Post by awilliamson4 » January 21st, 2014, 8:38 am

Mangiamo Italian at Preston and LBJ allows BYO. I am going tonight and will report back.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#70 Post by awilliamson4 » January 22nd, 2014, 12:31 pm

I went to Mangiamo last night and went with a real bad attitude about what I thought we would be getting. I was totally surprised by how great everything was. This is the best family style Italian food I have eaten in Dallas. No corkage no stems.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Cameron Kinvig
Posts: 2
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Dallas

#71 Post by Cameron Kinvig » April 7th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Sakhuu (about a block away from Jimmy's food store on Bryan St.) is also a good BYOB place if you want to bring Riesling to a tasty and inexpensive (but surprisingly sophisticated) Vietnamese restaurant. And think corkage is $1 per person.

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 853
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Dallas

#72 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 29th, 2015, 12:19 pm

We lost a good one in the DFW area. Gregory's Bistro, formerly in downtown McKinney has moved to the Mitas Hill Winery on the border between McKinney and Melissa, TX. The only wine available now is wine made by Mitas Hill Winery. A major disappointment to many of us in the area.
PlanoWino

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 853
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Dallas

#73 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 5th, 2015, 2:02 pm

The move to Mitas Hill Winery didn't last long for Gregory's Bistro. He left and will be opening in Adriatica Village in McKinney, TX on or about 1 November. He doesn't yet know if his new restaurant will be BYOB however. We shall see.
PlanoWino

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 853
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Dallas

#74 Post by Michael O'Brien » October 23rd, 2015, 10:08 am

Well, it's official. The new Gregory's Bistro will not be BYOB. Sad but understandable.
PlanoWino

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 914
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:10 am
Location: The Big D

Dallas

#75 Post by ykwon » December 28th, 2016, 6:48 pm

JS Chen on Legacy in Plano is BYOB. No corkage and they have stems/cork screws. Been going there forever and just realized it. Some tasty Bedrock Zin would have fit the bill nicely.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

User avatar
Michael Francis
Posts: 141
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Location: Keller, Texas

Dallas

#76 Post by Michael Francis » June 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm

The Palm in Dallas is closing at the end of the month.

GB Hernandez
Posts: 2
Joined: March 15th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Dallas

#77 Post by GB Hernandez » June 13th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Urbano and Suze are my favorites in Dallas. Urbano being my favorite.
Ben

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 853
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Dallas

#78 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Many of you in the DFW area know and like Gregory's Bistro in McKinney. They have been full cycle from BYOB only to no BYOB under any circumstances. I think they have figured out that they lost a lot of regular customers when they went no BYOB so they are sticking their toe back in the water. They now allow BYOB on Wednesdays. Corkage is $20 per table irregardless of bottle count. A good start.

https://www.gregorysbistro.org/
PlanoWino

User avatar
Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 935
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Location: DFW Metroplex

Dallas

#79 Post by Joe S. » August 9th, 2017, 7:49 pm

q
GB Hernandez wrote:Urbano and Suze are my favorites in Dallas. Urbano being my favorite.
Fyi - Suze is moving across the parking lot and will discontinue their BYOB policy. Had dinner there last night for one of our final BYOBs. (it was great!)
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

User avatar
John Kight
Posts: 605
Joined: September 7th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Dallas

#80 Post by John Kight » August 10th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Joe S. wrote:q
GB Hernandez wrote:Urbano and Suze are my favorites in Dallas. Urbano being my favorite.
Fyi - Suze is moving across the parking lot and will discontinue their BYOB policy. Had dinner there last night for one of our final BYOBs. (it was great!)
Major bummer. By "discontinue their BYOB policy" do you just mean their corkage-free BYOB policy on Tuesday night (and early Fri)? Because they've also always allowed BYOB on other nights for a $20/bottle fee (for which they don't always strictly enforce "per bottle", sometimes only hitting you for a couple of your bottles). Do you know if they're going to completely disallow BYOB altogether, and no longer even allow it with a corkage fee?

-----Also, there is a little hole-in-the-wall Lebanese place on Oak Lawn (near Maple) called "Open Sesame". They have decent lamb and beef souvlakia, chicken schwarma (with great garlic sauce), falafel plates, etc. and good sides (hummus, tabouli, fries, etc.). It's very simple (and inexpensive at about $12-$19 for entrée plates) and actually quite good for take out....but also is BYOB and a pleasant place to sit (quiet, only about 6-7 tables), and in an area of Dallas without much BYOB beyond Thai food.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Dallas

#81 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 11th, 2017, 7:29 am

John, it is my understanding that after they move they'll be going the road to a mixed beverage permit. The kiss of death for BYOB in Texas.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

awilliamson4
Posts: 675
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Dallas

#82 Post by awilliamson4 » March 5th, 2018, 6:42 am

Just a quick update. I went to Urbano last week with a group for a Dom tasting. I hadn't been in probably 2.5 years. I can honestly say, that it was the worst meal I have ever had at a restaurant in Dallas. The food was so mind blowingly pedestrian. It's a huge disappointment. Ever since Keo left as the chef it has not been the same. It has reached a new low.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 914
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 9:10 am
Location: The Big D

Dallas

#83 Post by ykwon » March 7th, 2018, 5:01 am

What a shame.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Mike J ewesson
Posts: 127
Joined: February 17th, 2009, 9:25 am

Re: Dallas

#84 Post by Mike J ewesson » October 3rd, 2018, 8:45 am

https://www.petraandthebeast.com

New spot in East Dallas. Eclectic menu that makes wine pairing tough, but interesting stuff and well regarded chef. No corkage. Bring your own stems.

Jeff P
Posts: 65
Joined: August 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Dallas

#85 Post by Jeff P » October 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm

awilliamson4 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 6:42 am
Just a quick update. I went to Urbano last week with a group for a Dom tasting. I hadn't been in probably 2.5 years. I can honestly say, that it was the worst meal I have ever had at a restaurant in Dallas. The food was so mind blowingly pedestrian. It's a huge disappointment. Ever since Keo left as the chef it has not been the same. It has reached a new low.
Yikes! Going there next week so hopefully have a diff experience. Haven't been in a year or so.

Any other good spots in Dallas city limits that people would recommend? Haven't had much luck since Farnatchi closed on Knox/75 like 4 or 5 years ago. Sad day
Jeff P@ren+

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: Dallas

#86 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 24th, 2018, 1:54 pm

MoMo's on Forest is making a bit of a come back lately.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Mike J ewesson
Posts: 127
Joined: February 17th, 2009, 9:25 am

Re: Dallas

#87 Post by Mike J ewesson » November 13th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Jeff P wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm
awilliamson4 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 6:42 am
Just a quick update. I went to Urbano last week with a group for a Dom tasting. I hadn't been in probably 2.5 years. I can honestly say, that it was the worst meal I have ever had at a restaurant in Dallas. The food was so mind blowingly pedestrian. It's a huge disappointment. Ever since Keo left as the chef it has not been the same. It has reached a new low.
Yikes! Going there next week so hopefully have a diff experience. Haven't been in a year or so.

Any other good spots in Dallas city limits that people would recommend? Haven't had much luck since Farnatchi closed on Knox/75 like 4 or 5 years ago. Sad day
Went to Urbano last week and it was excellent. No drop off that I could discern.

Jeff P
Posts: 65
Joined: August 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Dallas

#88 Post by Jeff P » November 14th, 2018, 8:52 am

Mike J ewesson wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 7:54 pm
Jeff P wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm
awilliamson4 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 6:42 am
Just a quick update. I went to Urbano last week with a group for a Dom tasting. I hadn't been in probably 2.5 years. I can honestly say, that it was the worst meal I have ever had at a restaurant in Dallas. The food was so mind blowingly pedestrian. It's a huge disappointment. Ever since Keo left as the chef it has not been the same. It has reached a new low.
Yikes! Going there next week so hopefully have a diff experience. Haven't been in a year or so.

Any other good spots in Dallas city limits that people would recommend? Haven't had much luck since Farnatchi closed on Knox/75 like 4 or 5 years ago. Sad day
Went to Urbano last week and it was excellent. No drop off that I could discern.
Agreed. Was there last weekend and really enjoyed it
Jeff P@ren+

Post Reply

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”