GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City, aka Manhattan and the boroughs BYO

#551 Post by Jay Miller » November 5th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm
North Square corkage is now up to $20.

I’m there right now.
And the most recent reservation they said $25. Keeps going up...
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#552 Post by Jay Miller » December 11th, 2018, 8:26 am

Bluebird London is $65.

A Rubin Stein

#553 Post by A Rubin Stein » December 13th, 2018, 6:48 am

I met friends last night for some wine and dinner at North Square. To say that it was mediocre would be praising it too much. The food was unexciting and reminded me of banquet hall cuisine. The waitress counted our bottles for corkage purposes ($20/b) before we even ordered. The "cheese plate" looked like it was sourced from the bodega around the corner. Truly average at best.
a s h e r

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#554 Post by scamhi » December 13th, 2018, 7:44 am

A Rubin Stein wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 6:48 am
I met friends last night for some wine and dinner at North Square. To say that it was mediocre would be praising it too much. The food was unexciting and reminded me of banquet hall cuisine. The waitress counted our bottles for corkage purposes ($20/b) before we even ordered. The "cheese plate" looked like it was sourced from the bodega around the corner. Truly average at best.
that's how it left me feeling the one time I dined there. UGH.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#555 Post by Paul Jaouen » December 13th, 2018, 8:46 am

Agree with both of you. I thought it sucked the one time I was there. I know one wine group is/was going there every month for their wine dinners. I guess low corkage was the attraction. It used to be $10.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#556 Post by Dan Hammer » December 13th, 2018, 8:55 pm

North Square offers no corkage wine dinners formy Flyertalk wine dinners. A Berserker pal of mine also does his dinners at NS.
This space for rent.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#557 Post by Jay Miller » December 14th, 2018, 12:05 pm

I've been there 3x. The first two the rack of lamb was delicious and very wine friendly. The last time it was mediocre.

mike pobega

#558 Post by mike pobega » December 15th, 2018, 11:27 am

North Square.
We've done over 40 dinners there and it has been usually a very nice evening. Our original price was $10 per person and we normally had 10-12 guests.
Everyone felt is was a hidden gem of a restaurant where the steaks were usualy spot on on the assorted chops done nicely. Always seasonal, always with an eye to quality.
My last time there felt different. I can't place my finger on why either. Some changes of the menu which seemed weird like no spicey mustard sauce on the steak and a few other items seems amiss. I was trying to put a dinner together about 8 weeks ago and they never got back to me. I think maybe there has been a change of both management and kitchen, but it's just a gut feel. BTW, we always had the private lounge and always tipped well above the norm. Well above. I can't figure this one out though.

A Rubin Stein

#559 Post by A Rubin Stein » December 19th, 2018, 9:49 am

Went to Sutton Inn this week with another couple, and we brought multiple bottles. This was my first time, and I'll be back, as will the other couple who live around the corner and enjoyed it with us. The food is not thrilling but it's solid, the staff aims to please, and the wine service was terrific. Also, it's a charming little place and it's quiet enough to actually have a conversation which seems to be rare these days.
a s h e r

ArtF

#560 Post by ArtF » December 19th, 2018, 10:03 am

how much was corkage? did you leave a tip? web site warns no tipping permitted.
Art Forman

A Rubin Stein

#561 Post by A Rubin Stein » December 19th, 2018, 10:22 am

No corkage on the night we went. The menu as well states no tipping accepted, so we did not leave a tip. I guess we should have slipped our waiter some money anyway, right? I got the impression that he would not be allowed to accept it, but maybe I am wrong.
a s h e r

ArtF

#562 Post by ArtF » December 19th, 2018, 10:31 am

That's a whole other topic. But if the menu says tipping is not permitted, I don't think you were wrong.
Art Forman

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#563 Post by Sh@n A » December 20th, 2018, 6:49 pm

I’ve been to Sutton Inn many times. I think the good is pretty darn good actually. Definitely a cozy neighborhood gem. The waived corkage on Mondays is only supposed to be one bottle per couple, but as you noted the staff can be friendly (I’ve had corkage waived on other days when we’ve tried a few wines by the glass... coincidence or not, I’m not sure). They also waive corkage If you buy your bottle from one of the neighborhood wine shops (ambassador I believe is one, I cannot recall the other). Corkage otherwise is a reasonable 35 I believe. Very wine friendly spot. Easy to get a reservation. Very local neighborhood spot.
/ @ g r @ \

Ramon C

#564 Post by Ramon C » December 22nd, 2018, 5:57 am

If there's interest in Korean barbecue and other dishes, Bap a newish restaurant in Murray Hill charged me $20 per bottle corkage. Nice ambiance plenty of dark woods all around with some modern amenities.

https://www.bap516a.com/
@brera

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#565 Post by C Prince » December 29th, 2018, 7:44 am

Meeting friends at the Breslin for dinner on Sunday. Over the phone, they said corkage was $40 ($80 magnum). Will report back if different.

https://www.thebreslin.com/
∰Col leen∰

ArtF

#566 Post by ArtF » January 15th, 2019, 2:54 pm

"Hillstone the ...bustling, chain restaurant" with locations on 27th and Park, and 53rd and Lex, is now $15 per regular sized bottle.

https://hillstone.com/menus/hillstone/H ... 1547592772
Art Forman

Ramon C

#567 Post by Ramon C » January 16th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Thanks Art, for the Hillstone info. I live close enough the area but never bothered much about the restaurant whenever I happen to walk by. What's the food like? Good, decent, offline worthy? Are they welcoming enough with byob?

Funny that I when I looked at their web site, there's a big note about the required dress code, which (perhaps, based on type of restaurants I go to) is rare to be noted upon in websites.
@brera

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#568 Post by Sh@n A » January 16th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Had dinner at River Park last night. No corkage Tuesdays on first three bottles. A wonky location in an office building (have your Uber drop you off at 440 east 29th street for easier access). But the place is done up well. And the food I had was pretty good. The squash with coddled egg was extremely good and my flat iron steak was cooked perfectly. Definitely a good summer spot with the water views. A bit desserted these days but service was good. I will be back on Tuesdays! Will try to negotiate them to waive 3 bottle limit for an offline.
/ @ g r @ \

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#569 Post by Paul Jaouen » January 17th, 2019, 7:23 am

We've done a lot of dinners at Riverpark on Tuesdays and there was never a limit but we haven't been in a while. Is Dusan still the beverage director? Speak to him about waiving the limit. And make sure you share with him. He loves to try good wines we bring in.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

ArtF

#570 Post by ArtF » January 17th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Ramon C wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 2:31 pm
Thanks Art, for the Hillstone info. I live close enough the area but never bothered much about the restaurant whenever I happen to walk by. What's the food like? Good, decent, offline worthy? Are they welcoming enough with byob?

Funny that I when I looked at their web site, there's a big note about the required dress code, which (perhaps, based on type of restaurants I go to) is rare to be noted upon in websites.
I find Hillstone comfortable with large banquets, good service and not noisy. It is a cheaper Capital Grill, but not nearly as good. I will probably never return without free corkage. I have no idea why it's always jammed.
Art Forman

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#571 Post by Sh@n A » February 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Tratorria Italliene
Chelsea area
Free BYO Tuesday, and OK with a group of 8 bringing in 10 wines.

Food was very good albeit not special. Proscuitto, Burrata were on point. The gluten free pasta was some of the best I've had. The pastas with Ragu were also very good, on the drier side vs. the saucy side. Everything was simply very good. Large bright space, with soft rock in the background (which I didn't particularly love). Was disappointed by the 2012 Brovia Ca Mia I brought versus CT notes (but there is probably a reason so many of these are still available at retail). But $0 corkage, decent stems, big tables, good food, easy reservation = Italy offline Tuesdays.
Last edited by Sh@n A on April 26th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#572 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 22nd, 2019, 4:05 am

Atomix is $45.

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#573 Post by Michael Sopher » March 20th, 2019, 8:23 am

Sh@n A wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Tratorria Italliene
Chelsea area
Free BYO Tuesday, and OK with a group of 8 bringing in 10 wines.

Food was good albeit not special. Proscuitto, Burrata were on point. The gluten free pasta was some of the best I've had. The pastas with Ragu were also very good, on the drier side vs. the saucy side. Everything was simply very good. Large bright space, with soft rock in the background (which I didn't particularly love). Was disappointed by the 2012 Brovia Ca Mia I brought versus CT notes (but there is probably a reason so many of these are still available at retail). But $0 corkage, decent stems, big tables, good food, easy reservation = Italy offline Tuesdays.

I had a nice dinner there last night. 6 people/4 bottles. When I reserved they told me that over 6 people would have to go with a family style menu which we were not into. I guess that policy is not evenly applied. Anyway, I would go back. Liked the room, stems and space as well

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#574 Post by Sh@n A » March 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

Not that anyone was wondering... but I was curious to give Hillstone a whirl... and they would not let me use my bottles as I previously opened them. Strictly enforced. Had to go elsewhere. These were nebbiolo I decanted for air and sediment prior to arriving.
/ @ g r @ \

ArtF

#575 Post by ArtF » March 24th, 2019, 7:35 am

Sh@n A wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm
Not that anyone was wondering... but I was curious to give Hillstone a whirl... and they would not let me use my bottles as I previously opened them. Strictly enforced. Had to go elsewhere. These were nebbiolo I decanted for air and sediment prior to arriving.
I remember bringing an open bottle to Roosevelt Field on Long Island before it closed. Just by luck, I have not opened a bottle before going to Park Ave S. So, thanks for the heads up.
Art Forman

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#576 Post by Greg K » March 25th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Server at LaVara on Saturday night asked me how I acquired the 2006 LdH Tondonia Reserve I brought with us - did someone give it to us as a gift? Weirdest question I've ever gotten when bringing my own wine. The $25 corkage is well worth it though, food is great.
Greg Kahn

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#577 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » March 27th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Corkage at Mimi is $50/btl. Bistro+ stems.

Left a review on the other thread.

OwenB

#578 Post by OwenB » April 16th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Dell’Anima, Dovetail and Po are all closed unfortunately.
    8 A $ H A

Sh@n A
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#579 Post by Sh@n A » April 18th, 2019, 8:04 am

Anyone have contact information for the somm at River Park? Trying to do an offline there, and ran into an issue. Thank you in advance.
    / @ g r @ \

Paul Jaouen
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#580 Post by Paul Jaouen » April 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

Sh@n A wrote:
    April 18th, 2019, 8:04 am
    Anyone have contact information for the somm at River Park? Trying to do an offline there, and ran into an issue. Thank you in advance.
    Can't you just call the restaurant and ask to speak to him? I don't know who the Somm is there now. I think Dusan left late last year.
    Best,
    Paul Jaouen

Dan Hammer
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#581 Post by Dan Hammer » April 22nd, 2019, 11:11 am

Updated through January 17, 2019.
    This space for rent.

Sh@n A
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#582 Post by Sh@n A » April 30th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Barolo East on 49th. $50 cork fee. I likely wouldn't be back. Mixed experience on food. Excellent red sauce (no water on the side, no dilution, nice and concentrated). Great quality of ingredients. However, grilled shrimp was served lukewarm and we wondered if it was freshly cooked. Mushrooms were well made, but serving over lettuce made them a bit hard to eat (and portion could have been larger). Ravioli were a very thick, like Chinese pork dumplings. Spaghetti bolognese was on point. Red pepper dipping sauce were on point. Overall portion sizes slightly small and we were slightly hungry or needed dessert. BYO corkage fee is high as well.
    / @ g r @ \

Josh Espinosa

#583 Post by Josh Espinosa » May 5th, 2019, 10:21 am

Fragole, Italian restaurant in Caroll Gardens, Brooklyn has fantastic food. $25 Corkage fee. Definitely worth checking out if your in the area!!

Mike C.

#584 Post by Mike C. » May 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Maison Yaki - $35

Good neighborhood restaurant, would love having a glass or wine of two, a few skewers and a couple games of pétanque.

Ramon C

#585 Post by Ramon C » May 11th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Donburiya in Hell's Kitchen, awesome Izakaya menu with enough sake, Japanese whisky and Japanese beers in their list. But, a byob bottle of 2001 Clos des Papes CdP still worked out quite well with most of our ordered dishes. $30 corkage with uninspired wine glasses. Good overall service. But will suggest calling in advance to make sure about corkage fee as, I suspect, it can change depending on who happens to pick up your call.

http://www.donburiyany.com/

Ortzi, advertised as a Basque restaurant in Midtown west, with good dinner menu and welcoming/good byob-wine service. There are better Basque foodie joints in town, imho, but Ortzi have sufficient food gems and overall polite-efficient service, for me to consider going back (dined 2x this year). Spacious ambiance, too, for those jaded by tight seats/tables in most Manhattan tapas joints. Can't beat midtown NYC location for convenient meet up. Can't quite recall, but either $25 or $30 corkage per bottle with decanting service, if preferred.

https://ortzirestaurant.com/
    @brera

Julius L
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#586 Post by Julius L » June 1st, 2019, 3:31 pm

Remi (Northern Italian cuisine)

$40 corkage.
    L = L@$Øff

ArtF

#587 Post by ArtF » June 2nd, 2019, 10:06 am

Balthazar, SoHo. $35 per bottle, $70 per mag, 2 bottle limit. Dining room gets hectic, so I came with a corkscrew, too. But big burgundy glasses came quickly upon request. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere a lot. Food was fresh and carefully prepared. Service was efficient and attentive. Balthazar bread, burrata salad with strawberries and rhubarb, steak frites with Bearnaise sauce served on the side and very crispy fries, blueberry mllefeuille plated to order with a fresh lemon custard, and killer cafe americaino. Raw bar looked excellent.

https://balthazarny.com
    Art Forman

YLee

#588 Post by YLee » August 6th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Benjamin Prime - $45 cork fee. Rib eye steak and sea scallops were delicious.
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

Sh@n A
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#589 Post by Sh@n A » August 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

The Fat Radish. Was quoted $25/750 and $35/sparkling on the phone... no discount for halves... later learned were charged $40 per 750
    / @ g r @ \

ArtF

#590 Post by ArtF » August 7th, 2019, 9:45 am

Feast in East Village was $25 for one 750 bottle. Creative cooking, rustic setting. Stemless wine glasses. House made bread and pasta.

https://www.eatfeastnyc.com/
    Art Forman

YLee

#591 Post by YLee » August 11th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
    August 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm
    The Fat Radish. Was quoted $25/750 and $35/sparkling on the phone... no discount for halves... later learned were charged $40 per 750
    I noticed a lot of restaurants are not consistent with their fees. I started recording my calls when getting quoted for fees so I don't get screwed over later.
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

J a y H a c k
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#592 Post by J a y H a c k » August 12th, 2019, 1:53 pm

ABCV vegetarian just told me $40 per bottle.
    Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

ArtF

#593 Post by ArtF » August 12th, 2019, 2:18 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
    August 12th, 2019, 1:53 pm
    ABCV vegetarian just told me $40 per bottle.
    Seems like cost of eating out is going up. Free corkage days are a big plus to keep the price down and drinking solid.
    Art Forman

C Prince
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#594 Post by C Prince » August 14th, 2019, 8:31 am

Temple Court, the Colicchio Restaurant in the Beekman Hotel (downtown Manhattan, east of / not far from the Oculus). $45 per bottle... but FREE corkage on Sunday eve. Lovely extensive Restaurant Week menu. Did not find their wine list on their website but brought bottles they were unlikely to have. Craft's wine list has also disappeared from their website.

https://www.templecourtnyc.com/
    ∰Col leen∰

Sh@n A
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#595 Post by Sh@n A » August 14th, 2019, 8:37 am

Keens charged me $30 corkage last night. chateaubriand was phenomenal.
    / @ g r @ \

Brad Kane
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#596 Post by Brad Kane » August 14th, 2019, 9:30 am

Sh@n A wrote:
    August 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
    Keens charged me $30 corkage last night. chateaubriand was phenomenal.
    That's up $10 from where it was a couple of years ago.
    itb.

Robert Dentice

#597 Post by Robert Dentice » August 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

YLee wrote:
    August 11th, 2019, 3:57 pm
    Sh@n A wrote:
    I noticed a lot of restaurants are not consistent with their fees. I started recording my calls when getting quoted for fees so I don't get screwed over later.
    In all due respect this is so sad. Do you realize how low profit margins are in the restaurant business and what the average kitchen staff earns?

YLee

#598 Post by YLee » August 14th, 2019, 10:37 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
    August 14th, 2019, 10:35 am
    YLee wrote:
    Sh@n A wrote:
    In all due respect this is so sad. Do you realize how low profit margins are in the restaurant business and what the average kitchen staff earns?
    I dont understand. What does that have to do with giving misinformation to customers?
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

ArtF

#599 Post by ArtF » August 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

YLee wrote:
    August 14th, 2019, 10:37 am
    Robert Dentice wrote:
    YLee wrote:

I dont understand. What does that have to do with giving misinformation to customers?
    I agree the restaurant business is struggling. But won't a fair corkage policy lead to more business, not less profit? When I go to Sunday or Monday free corkage restaurants, I am far more liberal with the dishes I order and the tip I leave. And usually pay in cash to save cc fees to the owner.
    Art Forman

Robert Dentice

#600 Post by Robert Dentice » August 14th, 2019, 10:59 am

YLee wrote:
    August 14th, 2019, 10:37 am
    Robert Dentice wrote:
    YLee wrote:

Well you are by definition complaining about corkage. I personally could care less if corkage is $25 or $40. I could see your point if you were told $10 and it was $50 or something like that.

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”