Learning from wine essence kits

I’m curious whether anyone has experience learning to taste (and describe) wine through use of one of the “essence” kits such as this:

I’ve drunk plenty of wine, but might find it useful to be able to describe accurately some of the tastes that are there (e.g., what is pencil shaving?)

On the other hand, the money could be better spent on wine itself.

I have not tried a “wine essence” kit but I have found the UC Davis (Ann Noble) Wine Aroma Wheel to be helpful in identifying aromas and providing a description for my own notes. Seeing the classifications listed on the wheel also offers suggestions of flavors and aromas upon which I might not have otherwise focused.

I am currently learning with Jean Lenoir’s “Le Nez du Vin”.

http://www.amazon.fr/Le-Nez-Vin-collection-complète/dp/2906518263/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It is quite pricey but a lot of people recommended me using it.
I think it is a pretty good way to sharpen your tasting abilities, I hope I can make some progress thanks to this kit. [cheers.gif]

+1

Bought one a while back and haven’t regretted it yet. Also makes a fun party game.

There is the Aromaster kit which has around 80 different ones in it, and even has a board game with it! :slight_smile: