Question for you: Planning a Burgundy tasting

I’m interested to hear some opinions on this…

I’m planning a burgundy wine tasting at a restaurant and am planning on serving 9 wines - 3 from GC, CM and VR, and one from each class (village, PC, GC)…

would you serve flight 1 with the village levels, flight 2 with PCs, and flight 3 with GCs (one from each village)

or

would you serve flight 1 with the 3 GCs, flight 2 with the 3 CMs, and flight 3 with the 3 VRs…?

I’m planning on the 1st option, but wondering what you think.

1st option. I’m assuming these are all the same vintage of course.

The 2nd option is fine too, but I’d personally prefer to see the comparison between the same cru level across communes. This kind of thing is actually why you need a bunch of tastings in order to do a survey of Burgundy… you really want to compare communes AND crus AND producers and you can’t do all that with only one tasting.

No - different vintages…

thx

How different? And are the commonalities at all among the vintages? what’s the spread of vintages youngest to oldest?

Depends on what your goal (and that of your tasting group) is.

If you want to outline the differences in character between different villages, then option 1.
If you want to outline (or find counter-examples to) the step up in quality from village to 1er to GC, then option 2.