Windows on the World Complete Wine Course

Looking to get this book (used) but am wondering if it’s worth it to get the 25th Anniversary (2009) version or if the 2008 edition is just as good. It’s not really clear what’s so special about the 2009 version to me and it’s about $20 more expensive!

-James

I have the 2008 version and LOVE it. I’ve read it twice and refer to it regularly. Each chapter has questions so you can test yourself, if you are into that. I have not seen the 25th anniversary version so I don’t know how much more useful it would be. I went the cheapo route and have found the book to be an incredible resource. Another book that’s pretty awesome is the Wine Bible, which I am reading now.

Nothing wrong with this! I tend to buy most books used as long as they’re significantly cheaper. ($1-$2 i’d rather buy new, but saving $10+ i’m definitely buying used if i’m sure it’s in good condition) I also prefer buying hardcover, so buying used saves me tons! I’ll check out the Wine Bible as well.

Thanks!
-James

Buy the 2008 edition and put the $20 towards your next bottle of wine. There’s no substantial difference between the editions IMO.

Good point! [drinkers.gif]

I’ve been working through the book tasting along with the various chapters. The 25th anniversary edition is already a bit dated from the perspective of being able to find the wines inside easily, so whether you pick the newest version or the previous version, the specific wines/vintages discussed aren’t particularly useful. The other material and general guidance is pretty solid, though.

Andrea Immer’s book “great wines…” is another good option. Lots of ways to get deeper into wine.

I’ll second the Immer recommendation; my copy dates from 2000; I acquired it and read it back when I was drinking $5 bottles of whatever was available. Looking through it now, it’s a lot better than I remembered; I think I’ll re-read it at this stage, as there was a lot of material I really didn’t appreciate on the first run-through.