WE Grand Cru Cooling Unit

At the risk of opening myself up to ridicule … I purchased a Wine Enthusiast Grand Cru 1600 cooling unit which arrived today. Despite a good bit of research, I only discovered on its delivery that the unit “requires” 8 1/2 in clearance to the ceiling and with the way I configured my wine closet there is only enough room for 3 in. Hoping someone can offer guidance. The unit is a bit of overkill for the space, so I could go with the smaller 800 model, but I thought the larger unit would be more efficient and operate more quietly since it will vent to my newborn’s closet. Anyone know the reason such significant clearance is recommended? Is this to prevent overheating or moisture buildup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carey

I installed the same unit a few years ago in a large, very well insulated cellar. I don’t know why it would need that much clearance at the top. One problem I encountered is that it drains water to the cold side of the unit (i.e. into your cellar or closet) when it is running. There is a nipple on the inside bottom of the unit that is hard to get to if your wall is over 6" thick. I attached clear plastic tubing to the nibble and ran it into a 2 gallon watering can in the wine cellar. In the summer, when the unit is running often, I have to empty the can about every 2 weeks or so. Other than that I haven’t had any problems with the unit but my cellar is naturally quite cold so it only runs at all for a few months a year.