Recommended years to age Bordeaux wines

I’ve read that Bordeaux wines should be aged at least 10 years from the year of release before they come into their own. Some might say at least 20 years. Was wondering what the general consensus was/is. For let’s say bottles of CH. Ausone or Cheval Blanc…etc.

I think it’s specific to the wine and the general quality of the wine. For the 2 you name, I’d want 20+ on them. IN general, for the wines Euro reds I age from Burg, Tuscany and Barolo, I like at least 15 years on them. That doens’t mean they dont give pleasure before then - many do. But invariably when I’ve opened ageworthy reds before then I’ve had the thought that they’ll be better with more age even if they’re good at present.

IN Bordeaux, this isn’t a big deal. If you’re starting out, buy wines from, e.g. 1996. Voila! you have a 15 year old bottle. Want to see what it’s like at 25? you only have 10 years to wait. Sub in different vintages if you’d like.

Ok thanks Rick. As I said I was wondering what every one thought. 20+ yrs for a good first growth Bordeaux? I haven’t bought either of the 2 I mentioned. But might pickup one while I’m staying in the US come some time in Sept. You wouldn’t believe how inflated wine pricing is up here. For some wines it’s more than double!! (e.g. CH Margaux). It’s ridiculous. Seems the best selection is in California. Whether you’re talking about old or new world wines. Up here we just get a few from a few notable producers. Rarely their complete product lines. Except for maybe Smirnoff…sells well I suppose.

Funny enough, a 96’ CH Margaux (750ml) is the bottle that is selling for more than twice the selling price in the US. Might pick that bottle up. Comes with the OWB.

Then there’s a '05 Cheval Blanc. Another great vintage year for Bordeaux. This one $50.00 USD more.

Only thing that sucks is that there’s a 39% tariff. Which I’m guessing needs to be paid for any bottle brought over the border. :stuck_out_tongue: Still worth it. Cost wise and because a lot of the good vintages just aren’t available up North.

Have a good weekend RG!

It not only depends on the quality of the wine, but on your personal taste.

That said, if you want lots of specific suggestions for which vintages of specific Bordeaux chateaux you should be drinking now, you could do a lot worse than getting hold of a copy of Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book. The vintages listed there are based on the suggestions of the individual chateaux, and so tend to reflect the French taste. I think most Brits would prefer to keep the wines longer.

Got it already. :slight_smile: The guide book I mean. Good information but the print is so small. :slight_smile: I also have a copy of the 2011 Food & Wine Guide…much easier to read. Good to have both. But there’s a lot of good online resources too. Cellartracker.com wine-searcher.com. Etc.

If there was a tasting going on locally for bluechip Bordeaux I’d be there. It’s hard enough for our “LCBO” (liquor control board of ontario) to stock such wines. When they do it’s the odd vintage that isn’t sought after usually. When there IS a good vintage there’s a hefty markup of over 100%.

I know what i’m looking for…will likely not buy a CH Margaux (too fruity and feminine) or Cheval Blanc (not much of a finish) and lean towards wines from Paulliac. As I prefer wines with hints of leather, coffee, cigar box, earthiness…So CH Latour, CH Lafite Rothchild, Ch Mouton Rothchild are the producers I’m looking at…along with Ch Haut Brion & their competitor Ch La Mission Haut Brion…etc.

Considering that you are just getting into wine, you seem to know a lot already — are you understating your experience, or overstating your knowledge?

Neither. Not that it should matter should it? :slight_smile: And I’ll take what you said as a compliment. I learn about wines in bursts. When time permits. I’m not studying to be a Sommelier or find a job in the wine industry so I’m in no rush. “Wine appreciation” is a hobby (e.g. photography…life long process) for me. All I’m trying to do is to gradually become an educated wino. How long did it take for you to learn what YOU have? :slight_smile:

If you can afford those wines, I would strongly encourage you to try a larger number of “lesser” wines. The super-seconds run about 1/3 of the first growth prices and quality is pretty close. In addition, you would not be getting a very full Bordeaux experience if you miss wines like Pichon-Lalande, Leoville Las Cases, La Conseillante and many others. I am just listing a handful of personal favorites - there are many well worth collecting.

As for aging, when I started drinking Bordeaux in the late 80’s, one of my favorite wines was Pichon Lalande 1979, and it was drinking really nicely then. Firmer vintages like 1975 probably weren’t. I gather from others’ notes that the '79 is still great now, quite possibly better. this gives some idea that there can be a long evolution where the wines drink well.

You can still buy super second wines from 1985, 1989 and 1990 for not too much more than the 1995s and 1996s (and less than 2009/10) so don’t count those out. 1985 was a bit lost in the shuffle in the 80’s but the wines are fantastic. It is another vintage that has been great for a long time.

For something closer to my early experience, I think 2001 might be a good bet - from what I see it looks like one of those that will drink pretty well young but last a deceptively long time.

For cigar box and earthiness, Graves is a good place to look (Haut Brion and La Mission). Haut Brion is a fantastic wine. Again, don’t overlook the lower-ranked wines from the area. I used to buy Pape Clement but they have apparently made a fairly strong style change since 1998. Haut Bailly is very popular though I’m not as familiar with it.

Another Graves wine I would look for in top vintages (if I could still afford it) is the second wine of Haut Brion, called Le Clarence de Haut Brion (since ~2007?) and Bahans Haut Brion before. The 1989 was really amazing. It drank well on release and was even better when I finished my bottles last year.

You can come down lower in price and still get really good wines. You could buy a case of pretty good bottles for the price of a first growth, and they might all drink better now unless your first growth has 20 years on it.

Hi Craig,

Plan to do that. I think I would be buying mostly 2nd tier Bordeaux (and other wines) normally any how. :slight_smile: The bluechip Bordeaux would be for very special occasions. I was thinking of producers like Boyd-Cantenac, Giscours, Kirwan, Lascombes, Malescot St. Expery and Rauzan-Segia…to name a few. Most of the wines I buy and will be buying are in the $10-200.00 range. Thanks for the recommendations. Noted.

As well, I might try “off years” from the bluechip producers…still very drinkable. Though in some cases they might still be more costly in general than the 2nd tier producers. I’m sure there are good “3rd tier” producers too. A good wine is a good wine regardless of price (e.g. $12.00 bottle of Tilia Malbec…great with a t-bone or porterhouse!!).

And I had Ch. Pape Clement on my list…Will be sure to try vintages pre-98’ as well.

Cheers!

Leroy,

Before you commit huge amounts of either money or cellar space to Bordeaux, I’d grab a few mixed cases of stuff with some age on it… some from 96, 2000, perhaps a lesser but still good vintage like 95. 90 and older will be pricey, but some of those too (88-90 were are very good vintages). Then, try the wines this fall and winter. See if you LIKE them. People often make the mistake of collecting regions because of reputation or ‘that’s where you should start’ but you might decide you love N Rhones far better than Bordeaux, or Barolo or something. Or you might find you LOVE Bordeaux. But cellar what YOU love, not what people have told you to start with.

Definitely Rick. I never buy what I haven’t sampled first (e.g. an off year of a bluechip producer…before buying a sought after vintage) normally at a tasting night (at a shop) or at a friend’s party. Then I quickly head to the wine store soon after to grab a few bottles of the same or after the tasting.

Though, I doubt I’ll go wrong buying wines from Graves and Paulliac. Should I decided to buy without sampling first.

I’m not sure what you are reading for recommendations, but I would strongly recommend reading John Gilman for a second opinion on some of the top Bordeaux. Many people don’t agree with him and you might still love wines that he hates, but he will help you identify those Chateaux that are changing style or making wines that are not true to their appellation.

For example, if you read Parker and many others, you would think that Cos D’Estournel and Pape Clement are making similar wines to those they made before, but better. Read Gilman and you will get a very different idea, of wines that have changed style since around 2000 to something you may or may not like. He isn’t the only one to note these things, but some writers pussyfoot around it.

You can get a two week free trial to a number of wine newsletters on Cellartracker, John’s View From The Cellar included. I highly recommend checking it out. (this sounded a bit like an ad - I have no affiliation with either of these)

Ok thanks CG. Will do. Good to get unbiased or different opinions. Others might have affiliations with certain vineyards or wineries. “If you say something good about our new Cab Sauv we’ll send you a case”. :slight_smile: And it is true…of the reviews/recommendations I’ve read thus far none mention anything about the change in winemaking styles when there is.