Forgive my ignorance

As much as my brother has tried to fill my head with what I am sure must be wine 101…I am an infant when it comes to my wine IQ…looking for guidance on good local wines (Central Valley) and throughout Northern CA. Gracias!

Richard,

Start with a price point in mind. Then figure out what style of wine you like to drink: fruity, dry,rich,sweet, etc. Then come back with another question and you will get much more detailed answers from the board.

Good luck, and welcome aboard! There are no ignorant questions. Just asking will eventually get you to where you want to go.

Cheers!

T-Bone

A good starting point might be…what can you tell us that you have tried and liked?

hey Richard - welcome! [cheers.gif]

to better provide advice, can you give an idea of what varietals you are interested in or enjoy? NorCal’s a big place, and this information will help identify the best recommendations.

Yeah, I would echo the people above, but add my opion that the best wines never leave the area that they are produced. Take trips around the area and visit as many wineries that you can. This is a great way to help decide what you like. Do not be afraid of the fact that the wineries are not the “big names”. Some of them probably make great wine!

There are some great people around (and I am meeting more here) that will help you with recommendations, perhaps people that are in your area that will split shipments with you, sell you some bottles from their cellar, etc.

If you have not already joined CellarTracker, go there and take a look. It is another resource to consider. Best of luck on your journey.

Oh, and in 6 months, wherever you are storing your wine is too small, and you will just HAVE to get a bigger space…

Cheers Mate

Truer words were never spoken!!! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Since it’s your local area, my advice is to hit as many tastings as possible. You’ll get a lot of education, meet some great people, and become more familiar with what sort of wine really suits you!

Based on your location, start in Lodi. I have been to several wine savvy restaurants and wine bars there but unfortunately can’t remember the names. Find some folks who work at these establishments and begin to try some local stuff. Some of the Lodi wines are very good, and more often than not great deals.

As you move into trying other parts of CA, when you can’t visit Napa/Sonoma/Santa Cruz/Santa Barbara, I have to plug a grocery store near you with an absolutely fantastic wine selection. Head out Highway 26 to Linden and go to Rinaldi’s. For a grocery store in a small town, the wine lineup there is really great and covers the whole gamut from everyday drinkers to some cultish stuff that I would even have trouble finding here in the belly of the beast. Get to know Victor there and he can steer you in some goo directions.

I totally agree - taste, taste, taste and get to know the different varietals - no better place to learn than at the source -

Lodi does seem to be the place to start…I went to wine and roses with my wife. Great wine, good people…I like red wines, Pinot noir. There is a winery, Mirassou I think. I had a 2008 that was great! Ray said it was because of the type of barrel, it had a vanilla taste. I tend to stay away from ultra bitter but sweet is definitely not my cup of tea…price point 20 or less. Night out? 40 or less…anniversary?? Also…what years would you suggest for Pinot noir?? Gracias!!! [thankyou.gif]

Just to add a bit of info to help out, Richard likes Cabernet Sauvignon as well as Pinot Noir. To get good responses, it would most likely be easiest to to focus on one, but he has varied tastes. So, possibly more options!

He has liked School House Pinot Noirs (even with 6-8 years on them), Red Burgundies (Ponsot/Chezeau) and Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir.

I can’t help with the cabs, but he has mentioned liking the more refined cabs, with ample structure without overwhelming oak and alcohol.

Richard, congrats on stepping forward to learn more. [cheers.gif]

…and like a few people mentioned, grab an inexpensive wine fridge or offsite (not expensive at all) for when you do find something you like, in a proper price range. You can grab 3-4 bottles and place them to the side for tracking them over time. But, as Bud says (increasingly hemorrhaging cellar), you always want to estimate on the high side of what your space needs will be. With this sad, you’ll still need more space. …right Bud? neener

You’ve got that right, Ray. In 2002, when my inventory reached 200 bottles, I bought a 900 bottle ‘Wine Room’.
I figured that 900 bottles was more than I’d ever collect, so I was set for life.
Unfortunately, within 2 years, it was almost full! Last year, I added a 350 bottle ‘BYO Deluxe’. It’s full already, along with a few dozen bottles that don’t fit. Those bottles are sitting in boxes on the basement floor. I guess I’ll have to start drinking faster!!! [snort.gif] [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Bud, that is simply crazy. I can see how that can happen though. Too many great producers…nice problem to have nowadays.

Actually, it’s helped me reach some equilibrium. I’m buying more carefully than I used to.
I’ve dropped a few mailers, and will continue to do that as retirement (hopefully) approaches.
I want to have the cellar full of ageable wines that will last me 10-15 years within 2 years.
Over the past 5 years, the quality of the wines in the cellar(s) have improved, and
I no longer have room for any ‘cellar defenders’ in the temp-controlled units.

It’s been a wild ride, but things are finally getting to where I want them to be. [cheers.gif]

We’re all ignorant – just in different areas.

Secondly, wine storage coolers are like gun safes – they shrink rapidly, so buy at least 3x as much space as you (unreasonably) might think you need.

Thirdly, go to as many free or low-cost tastings as you can and taste everything. Yes, you might look a bit geeky to the others while you’re taking notes and they’re slugging back free juice – but if you’re on the learning path, you must tread lightly and directly.

Also check out localwineevents.com for listings in your area about wine-related events.

Buena suerte!

Thank you all for your input…especially that Ray guy! What a clever young gentleman…so informed and willing to help!! I will check out the websites, the wine cellar seems like a must. I don’t mind looking like a nerd, beats looking like a wiley wilderbeast! Thanks again…

Pinot Noir is a bit of a minefield around $20 - there is good stuff there, but mixed in with some plonk. Martin Ray Angeline is good. Siduri makes a great one for $20 (Sonoma County), but most of their other stuff is higher priced. If you like any of the old world rustic style, there is a lot of Spanish Grenache under $20 and Chianti as well. Those are my go to wines in that price range.
On the Grenache just look for Eric Solomon importers. Chianti, if you find a 2006 Chianti or Chianti Classico, you are doing well.

Check this out, some good suggestions (except Castle Rock) - MacMurray Ranch makes a good Pinot Noir for the price.

http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Best_Pinot_Noirs_Under_$25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following up on Scott Butler’s suggestions for $20+ or- Pinot you could also try La Crema or Cambria Julia’s Vineyard. Oregon producers I have tried recently and liked in that price range include Evesham Wood and Brandborg.

Dave
ITB Calicaro