What's your favorite or best GLASS for SYRAH, GRENACHE, and other red RHONE varietals?

talking about red Rhone varietals here, including blends. I prefer either Riedel - Vinum Syrah glass or the Riedel - Oevurture “red wine” glass: Vinum:

Oevurture:

I like Chateauneuf du Papes and Grenaches out of a Burgundy glass. Syrah is fine out of those glasses too–a big bowl seems to help aerate and bring out the nose more than on a Bordeaux style glass. I’ve never much gone in for the “Syrah” glasses. I don’t have room for too many different types of glasses, beyond white, Bordeaux and Burgundy.

The vinum Burgundy is my choice, too (used primarily for Northern Rhône, I don’t drink much Southern Rhône).

I’ll have to experiment more with Rhones in Burg. glasses. I, too, will sometimes put more delicate Rhones in a Burg. glass, but I usually find that a Burg. glass makes many of the bigger So. Rhones (of which there are surely plenty) a bit too fumey for my liking, which is why I opt for a taller and narrower glass — maybe more experimentation will cause me to change my mind on this point.

Waterford Marquis is what I normally use since I have a dozen or more of them.

Sometimes I’ll use my Reidel Burg glasses but for daily drinking I use the less expensive ones.

Riedel Vinum Syrah for syrahs and blends with a lot of syrah. Sometimes with older Hermitage and Côte-Rôtie we use what we bought almost thirty years ago as Reidel ‘Hermitage’ glasses, but now they are identical to the Riedel Sommelier Grande Bourgogne. With primarily grenache-based blends we use Vinum Pinot glasses. With Carignane and other blends we use Vinum Cab glasses.

Syrah - Riedel Vinum Syrah for high octane ones. Seems to help with the vapors. Otherwise, Spiegelau Bordeaux. Grenache, CdP - Riedlel Burgundy except for high octane ones. Then Spiegelau Bordeaux.

1 Like

I’ve been going back and forth on this lately and stumbled on this old thread…I’ve been drinking a lot more Syrah, both Northern Rhone and new world, and at times feel that a Burgundy glass helps them show best, especially with wines that have a complex nose. But other times a Bourdeaux glass is the way to go…anyone have a go to?

For me it’s either the Riedel Sommeliers Hermitage or Grassl 1855 or Grassl Cru. Each highlights a different aspect of aroma and taste, depending on what I want at the moment.

1 Like

I tend to use the Zalto Universal for most of my reds that aren’t Burgundy or Nebbiolo.

I usually stick with burgundy wine glasses for those. Hermitage and Cote Rotie are some of my favorites to enjoy.

Just switched from Riedel Vinum syrah to Grassl 1855 for US syrahs and I think the Grassl way outperforms the Riedel.

1 Like

+1 for the Riedel Sommeliers Hermitage, perfect glass for Northern Rhone. For Southern Rhone, I prefer a Bordeaux glass.

I made the same switch a couple years ago. I love the Grassl stems.

Same as Kirk. Just switched from Zalto to Spiegelau Definition.

I prefer the Grassl Liberte for these varietals, with the GG stand’art being the alternative when circumstances warrant a sturdier choice. for us, the Liberte won out against the Zalto and Glasvin universals. I also prefer it to the 1855 as I found the aromas to be comparatively more muted and/or diffuse for these varietals. I also have the Riedel Veritas Old World Syrah that I enjoy syrah out of “depending on what I want at the moment”.
As compared to the Liberte it tends to portray wines as slightly darker and meatier on the nose and palate, but in trade-off the wine comes across as a tad less smooth.

We also use the Liberte or GGS for all of our tempranillo needs as well.

Grassl 1855. They’re so beautiful and highlight (perfectly) the aromas of these varietals.