What's your favorite or best GLASS for CABERNET SAUVIGNON, MERLOT, and BORDEAUX?

Talking about red Bdx. varietals. I’ve yet to find a glass I have a strong preference for when it comes to these wines. I’ll usually go with the Riedel - Vinum Cabernet Sauvignon glass or simply the Riedel - Oevurture “red wine” glass. Vinum:

Oevurture:

Riedel Vinum Extreme Cabernet/Bordeaux. Love the shape, they’re a bit bigger and taller than the standard Vinum but not huge like the Sommelier line.

Either Riedel Vinum Cabernet with dinner, or Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux with Popcorn.

The Spiegelau Bordeaux is fine with me. I have always used them and can’t find enough difference between other more expensive ones to make me spend the extra money. Not so with Burgundy stems. I got in on that $9.99 Bed Bath and Beyond Spiegelau 4 stem plus decanter close out and picked up 9 sets. Anyone need decanters?

I have a number of good glasses that hold about a liter of wine. These huge glasses holding 33 ounces almost “decants” a bottle on it’s own. If I do not have time to properly decant, I pour a large slug into each of our glasses and by the time dinner is on the table, the wine is definitely softened. BTW, “the hubby” cooks on the weekends!!! “[cheers.gif]”

+1

Riedel Vinum bordeaux is my go to… have the vinum extremes as well, but I find I prefer the regular vinum. Aromas seem to get lost in the huge vinum extreme bowl.

Don’t see how you can improve on the Riedel Vinum…other than the price. It’s a perfect match in my book.

I own the Waterford Crystal Mondavi bordeaux and burgundy glassware and they are both excellent stemware! The Crystal Company – Free standard shipping on all orders over $150 … 42671.html http://www.google.com/products/catalog? … C0Q8wIwAw#

I will second the Waterford Crystal Mondavi Bordeaux, add the Waterford Crystal Mondavi Cabernet (slightly bigger) but use my Vinum Cabernets all the time. All great classes.

For me… Nachtman-Vivendi XXL. Made by Riedel - $6 a pop, and larger than Vinums. The burgundy stems are even better.

1 Like

I’m another fan of the Riedel Vinum Cabernet glass. A heads up for folks with an AT&T card or Citibank relationship -the rewards program offers Reidel glasses in the catalogue. If you buy lots of stuff on-line, like me, you’ll be suprised at how quickly the points add up. I’ve got 4 “free” glasses on the way as we speak!

Tried this once. Couldn’t get the butter off the inside without breaking the damn glass. “newhere”

We only have two Sommelier Bordeauxs, so they are kept in our den cabinet. We generally only use them when we have popcorn with truffle salt and truffle butter. We’ve never found that much butter inside the glass, only a little as lip prints. They’re easy to wash off. We have had ours for several years and haven’t broken one yet.

+1

I love this glass!

-Pat Darby

Agree 100%

I currently have Riedel, Spiegelau, and Schott Zwiesel in steady rotation. Personally, I prefer the thin-walled construction of the Riedel, it seems to best transmit everything about the wine in a totally neutral manner. I can drink the same wine in a Riedel glass and any other glass, and there’s a subtle but noticable difference.

My house glass these days. It’s AWESOME. (and I have them all!)
Waterford Mondavi Bordeaux 25 oz Glass

Riedel Bourdeaux Sommelier but it is too fragile. I quit after 3 mishaps.

Schott Zwiesel Bourdeaux Enoteca. 6 for $170.00 at Beverage Factory. Wonderful glasses but you need to buy 6 to get this price.
After one year - 1 lost.

Currently ours is the Schott Zwiesel Vina. Our local wine shop was using them for tasting and we liked them quite a bit. We’re phasing out Riedel Ouverture Magnum & some Restaurant series for these: