Wine101 Feature: Thoughts on Closeouts/Web Specials on Wine?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 9th, 2010, 7:43 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19098
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

M.Burke

Re: Wine101 Feature: Thoughts on Closeouts/Web Specials on Wine?

#2 Post by M.Burke » September 21st, 2011, 9:42 pm

I can only relay personal experiences, but typically closeouts are bottles that have sat too long. Unfortunately, I've had a couple oxidized bottles. If the bottle is several years old and hasn't been in my possession, I'm usually skeptical about its quality.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Blake Brown » August 12th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Todd, I believe I`m correct in stating that many instances have to do with wineries having to move their inventory to make room for the next vintage, keep the cash flow going and derive some income to move on and keep moving on. In this case, the wines are cheaper and have more months/ years of proper storage and thus more maturity, the best of all worlds if the wine is decent. I`ve taken advantage of many offers and have had almost complete success.

There`s greater risk in buying from places such as Wine Commune because of storage and handling issues we`ll never know about until after the purchase.

The other Buyer Beware is when the closeout comes from a wine shop that does not store wine properly. e.g. bottles standing up; poor temperature control, exposure to sunlight, etc. In this case, I want to know more about the store first hand or from a reliable source.

This latter point is one where we can actually use this board to ask others in the local area to give feedback about a specific shop/ store.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

PeterR

#4 Post by PeterR » September 21st, 2012, 6:33 am

People who are interested in closeouts are looking for a deal. Lots of closeouts and high discount deals are frequently conveyed in email offers. That said, there is going to be variances by retailer in the way that the wine is stored, as well as where it has been. Our experience is that most, not all, online vendors will take back stinky wine. That said, forums are a great place to separate the careful vendors from the sloppy ones.
Peter Rothschild, WineNabber --"A good deal ain't hard to find"

GregT

#5 Post by GregT » June 9th, 2013, 4:52 pm

For the most part, closeouts are not problems at all. Most are not just bottles that have been sitting around too long.

You buy a few pallets of wine, you don't sell it all, a new vintage comes in, and you clear it out. We've cleared stuff from the warehouse an as a customer, I've purchased closeout wine. Some great deals.

Very often a producer loses an importer or wants to change or whatever and the existing importer / distributor wants to get rid of existing inventory. It's what happened with the A. Conterno wines last year. Those can be GREAT deals for customers all down the line, be they resellers or final consumers.

Once in a while you get some stuff that's off, but it's not the norm in my experience. Most closeouts come from bad business decisions, sometimes unfortunate for someone in the chain, but good for someone else.
G . T a t a r

Leonard Maran

#6 Post by Leonard Maran » July 7th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I've bought some clearance wines from K&L: no issues having to do with provenance but my take thus far has been that they are not usually worth a dime more than the sale price.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 7th, 2013, 9:25 pm

What Greg said. Close outs happen for many business related reasons, the least likely of which is the retailer knowingly dumping damaged/spoiled wine.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by dsGriswold » January 16th, 2014, 7:04 am

I have taken advantage of close outs from the major online sellers and have gotten some really good deals on over stock, winery closing and older inventory. I am apprehensive with the mystery stuff, but did get some good ones. Not pressing my luck there anymore.
DennisG

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by dsGriswold » January 31st, 2014, 11:07 pm

Last Bottle has commanded my attention lately with NW wines @ significant discount and free shipping. Strange to get OR & WA wines shipped free from CA. [snort.gif]
DennisG

Matia Pagani

#10 Post by Matia Pagani » February 21st, 2014, 1:57 am

Hi everybody!
I'm an italian student new to this forum.
I don't know if it's the right place to do this survey for my thesis,
but I have to do this about online selling of Italian Wine.

Can you help me?

http://gimmy.netsons.org/wine/

Thomas Bougetz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by Thomas Bougetz » April 29th, 2015, 9:32 pm

+1 to what GregT said. There are many, many reason why wineries/distributors move wine through closeout specials. I have personally purchased many wines over the past 10 years through closeouts. Whether it was because a winery was cutting back production, change in distributors, or just too much inventory on hand, it seems like a win-win opportunity for the consumer. I'd like to believe that a producer/retailer is not dumping compromised wine on a closeout special, but I'm sure it has happened. I just have not experienced it. I believe the web special web sites provide a valuable service to a specific section of the wine buying market.
That being said, I don't sell any of my wines (and probably won't ever) through these sites....

CoryT.

#12 Post by CoryT. » February 14th, 2016, 8:09 am

I pretty much only buy through close outs and web specials...
CoryN T o t t e n

Bryan Carr

#13 Post by Bryan Carr » July 1st, 2016, 1:34 pm

I've had pretty good luck with closeout stuff, at first it was an easy way to get my hands on a variety of things I'd not tried before, but as my palate kind of evolves sometimes it lets me get my hands on things I already know I like for a decent deal. I think I'm lucky in that Seattle has quite a few email merchants that deal in the type of wine I like frequently (Full Pull has been a great resource for WA wine at a decent price), and unlike some on the board I've had good luck with Garagiste since I can just go pick it up and take it back if it's cooked (only ever happened on one bottle). Around town everyone seemed to be blowing out Rockwell Brown after they closed so a fellow berserker picked up a 4 bottle vertical for around $80 and invited us over for a tasting, which was really fun.
CT: the_lovenest

Bill S.

#14 Post by Bill S. » September 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm

As a retailer for the pass 15 yrs or so let me say that all the stores I have worked at offered discounts/close out specials. These are either slow sellers or discontinued items and every store would gladly take back any spoiled bottles and even those that the customer just didn't like. In store credit or a refund if the customer had the receipt. I haven't had many come back over the years although I have had customers tell me later that the bottle/bottles where not to their taste or just ok.

This being said be aware that I've always worked at big chain stores, the mom and pop stores are where I would be careful and ask questions before I trusted them.
Bill Stell ITB

Drew Goin

#15 Post by Drew Goin » September 7th, 2017, 7:54 pm

I was the wine buyer at a "mom & pop shop" in NW Louisiana for several years. I drank the stuff that we purchased from the distributors, so I certainly didn't want to sell any junk - close-out or otherwise.

If we had to make shelf space for a new product, or if a wine had spent a couple of years on the horizontal racks, it often resulted in some bottles going into a close-out bin next to the registers. In most cases, these were subsequently hand-sell items. I was honest with customers, because I would be the one who had to answer for my suggestions.

E r i c B.

#16 Post by E r i c B. » November 9th, 2017, 11:17 am

newhere

A few times I year I'll snap up some closeout deals (usually a case) on white burgundies, mostly "off" vintages or vintners that haven't received a lot of hype. All from a local shop in the greater Boston area. Never had any issues with quality.

Drew Goin

#17 Post by Drew Goin » November 10th, 2017, 2:25 am

Another situation where a wine might appear on close-out is when a product switches distributors. The old distributor might try to flush out the remaining inventory at a low price. This is sometimes done with the intent of freeing shelf space in store shelves for replacement wines to fill the spot the previous wine occupied.

Of course, this only occurred with nationally distributed, larger production wines and liquor...

R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N

#18 Post by R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N » December 30th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Some great deals. Best protection is to check the reputation of the retailer.

Christian H

#19 Post by Christian H » January 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

I like Closeouts, especially at small local stores ... Gives you chance to try wine you may not ordinarily purchase at that price point. Even if it's old and Dusty ... every bottle of wine has a story to be told and deserves to be drank.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#20 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 10th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Christian H wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm
I like Closeouts, especially at small local stores ... Gives you chance to try wine you may not ordinarily purchase at that price point. Even if it's old and Dusty ... every bottle of wine has a story to be told and deserves to be drank.
As long as the story isn't 'I was stored in the window for 4 years'...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Patrick T

#21 Post by Patrick T » January 28th, 2019, 5:21 am

I recently found a 2005 Lange Freedom Hill Pinot Noir on the bottom shelf of a liquor store. It was standing up, covered in dust, and still had the original price tag of $24.99. Sometimes you gotta say "what the heck" so I took the gamble.

It was flawless!
Longtime lurker.

WOTY 2018
2011 Vidon Pinot Noir Barrel Select
2010 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Elizabeth's Reserve
2012 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard

Patrick Taylor

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Kirk.Grant » March 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
July 7th, 2013, 9:25 pm
What Greg said. Close outs happen for many business related reasons, the least likely of which is the retailer knowingly dumping damaged/spoiled wine.
Brent,

I can hear your concern...but here are some of the close outs that I've gotten and each & everyone was worth twice what I paid. I think close-outs are a value. It means you have to be picky, but these are a few I can think of and when I bought them.

Price: Wine (Purchase date)
$43: 1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires (September 2009)
$13: 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (August 2009)
$33: 2005 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant (Nov 2009)
$30: 1994 Chateau Musar (June 2010) - 3 cases!!! 3 faulted bottles
$18: 2008 The Eyrie Vineyards Chardonnay Original Vines (November 2012)
$20/$40/$80 - 375ml/750ml/1.5L : 2012 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (July 2015)
$33: 2015 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges (August 2018)
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 14th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Kirk,

Thanks but I have no idea what makes your comment relevant.

I'm glad you had some great luck with your bargain purchases.

That was my point.

Wines are dumped for many reasons, the least of which is a supplier selling off wine they already know is spoiled in some way.

I'm not sure what your post does to illustrate the opposite, particularly if you are proud of getting some great deals on great wines that were in good condition.

[scratch.gif]
Kirk.Grant wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Brent,

I can hear your concern...but here are some of the close outs that I've gotten and each & everyone was worth twice what I paid. I think close-outs are a value. It means you have to be picky, but these are a few I can think of and when I bought them.

$13: 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (August 2009)
$20/$40/$80 - 375ml/750ml/1.5L : 2012 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (July 2015)
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Kirk.Grant » March 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm

March 14th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Kirk,

Thanks but I have no idea what makes your comment relevant.

I'm glad you had some great luck with your bargain purchases.

That was my point.

Wines are dumped for many reasons, the least of which is a supplier selling off wine they already know is spoiled in some way.

I'm not sure what your post does to illustrate the opposite, particularly if you are proud of getting some great deals on great wines that were in good condition.

[scratch.gif]
Kirk.Grant wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Brent,

Brent, I mis-read your initial post. Looks like I was backing up what you were saying.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”