First decent wine glass

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Jasper Rose

First decent wine glass

#1 Post by Jasper Rose »

Hello all!

I'm looking to invest in a pair of decent universal wine glasses.

Am currently undecided between the new Jancis Robinson/Richard Brendon universal glass and the Zalto Denk Art Universal.....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Many thanks :)

Mike Cohen

Re: First decent wine glass

#2 Post by Mike Cohen »

I love the Zalto Universal.

I've recently purchased the Glasvin Universal too. I like it quite a bit but have to get used to it after using the Zalto for so long. As a side note, the Glasvin is significantly cheaper.

Jasper Rose

#3 Post by Jasper Rose »

Mike Cohen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:19 pm I love the Zalto Universal.

I've recently purchased the Glasvin Universal too. I like it quite a bit but have to get used to it after using the Zalto for so long. As a side note, the Glasvin is significantly cheaper.
Thanks! Just checked out the Glasvin universal glasses! They look great but i'm in the UK, when shipping is taken in to account they work out about the same price as the Zalto and JR glass... Supposing all three work out the same price, would your vote be for the Zalto?

RyanC
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by RyanC »

Jasper Rose wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Thanks! Just checked out the Glasvin universal glasses! They look great but i'm in the UK, when shipping is taken in to account they work out about the same price as the Zalto and JR glass... Supposing all three work out the same price, would your vote be for the Zalto?
Zalto would be my vote. I love Glasvin, but part of the appeal is the value. At the same price, I'd go Zalto Universal. I also really like Gabriel Glas Gold for a universal glass, although some (not me) find the bowl too small.
C@ughey

Mike Cohen

#5 Post by Mike Cohen »

Jasper Rose wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm

I don't know anything about the JR glass. But I do really love my Zaltos. So if the GV and Z are the same price, I'm all over the Zalto.

Jeremy Jernigan

#6 Post by Jeremy Jernigan »

This is a super helpful discussion, thanks everyone! How easy are they to break? I'm afraid every time I wash one of my Riedels.
Jeremy Jernigan
The Wine Pastor at Communion Wine Co

Jon H

#7 Post by Jon H »

Zaltos are quite easy to break, but so are all the other high end super thin blown glasses. If you are very careful, you can avoid it though. Here are some tips:
1) VERY CAREFULLY handwash. These glasses are supposedly dishwasher safe, but I don't trust it and have never tried it. If you do dishwasher, then follow other tips on this board about using an empty washer, placement on lower rack, spacing them out, making sure they can't fall over, etc.
2) VERY CAREFULLY handwash - I reiterate. The most important thing when handwashing is not to torque the stem/bottom one direction and the bowl the other. You will 100% break it if you do that. Aldo Sohm has a video on polishing Zaltos (which applies to other glasses also) where he shows you how to handle the glass without putting stress on it (it's quite simple actually). When I wash my glasses, I pretend I am polishing it with a wet sponge. Then I dry/polish using the same handling care.
3) VERY CAREFULLY handwash. OK you see the theme right? Make sure you only handwash sober. If I have people over or if I get to drink #3, I just leave the glass on the counter and deal with it in the morning.
4) Don't let people use it who you don't trust to be careful with nice things.

However, I would actually recommend getting 2 kinds of glasses. You don't really need more than that, but I do think there's a lot of value in having a second model. I have Zaltos and I always go for the Universal for whites/sparkling and I go for the Bordeaux for most red wines. There are many this board that love the Zalto Bordeaux for Pinot/Burgundy, and it of course works well for Bordeaux varietals also.

You may also want to look into Grassl glassware. I haven't used them, but many on the board swear by them. I plan on trying them out soon.
H A ℝ Ṃ $
IG: @jondrinkswine
CT: jondrinkswine

Jon H

#8 Post by Jon H »

Follow-up -- if you really do want to have just one kind of glass and you prefer to have some durability, the Gabriel Glass StandArt is quite nice. It's the same shape as the GGG, but is not mouthblown and therefore is thicker/more durable. You won't get the same experience as with a higher end glass, but you also don't need to freak out everytime you have to wash your glasses.
H A ℝ Ṃ $

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Dishwasher is the best way to wash these glasses. Bottom rack by themselves.

Alexia Hupin

#10 Post by Alexia Hupin »

Hi Jasper,

I have no experience with other brands than Zalto but I'd definitely go for it if you're in the same price range for other brands with shipping.
The ones I enjoy the most are the Universal for white/rosé/sparkling wines and the Bordeaux for reds.
Just be careful 'cause they're super easy to break!!
Alexia Hupin - Wine by Alex
Wine Educator, Blogger & Entrepreneur

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Bill Sweeney »

Wait until berserker day and get Grassl glasses viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166881

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by Blake Brown »

Here's my strong rec: https://www.theperfect.glass/collection ... he-trinity

It's 3 glasses, one for red, white and champagne. They're fantastic, better than the Zalto`s IMHO.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by robert creth »

Jon H wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:31 pm Follow-up -- if you really do want to have just one kind of glass and you prefer to have some durability, the Gabriel Glass StandArt is quite nice. It's the same shape as the GGG, but is not mouthblown and therefore is thicker/more durable. You won't get the same experience as with a higher end glass, but you also don't need to freak out everytime you have to wash your glasses.
This. There is a thing as too thin and some glasses feel like they could break in the wind. The Gabriel StandArt is a great balance with a lovely shape and feel. They replaced a set of Schott Zweisels which were really good and lasted 6 years until a spate of breaks. The Zweisels are fine glasses also but mine were a bit too tall.

Jon H

#14 Post by Jon H »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:08 am Dishwasher is the best way to wash these glasses. Bottom rack by themselves.
I think you are probably right. But I'm still very hesitant to do it...

Maybe I'll try it with a single glass soon and see how it goes
H A ℝ Ṃ $

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Jon H wrote: January 9th, 2021, 10:58 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:08 am Dishwasher is the best way to wash these glasses. Bottom rack by themselves.

I’ve washed zaltos, grassl, etc dozens of times in the dishwasher; Miele bottom rack in China/crystal mode.

Jon H

#16 Post by Jon H »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:03 am

I’ve washed zaltos, grassl, etc dozens of times in the dishwasher; Miele bottom rack in China/crystal mode.
Do you do anything special to keep them from moving around / bumping into each other?
H A ℝ Ṃ $

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Jon H wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:14 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: January 9th, 2021, 11:03 am

Do you do anything special to keep them from moving around / bumping into each other?
Just separated them far enough so they couldn’t hit against anything.

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Pat P »

Hello everyone! Very new to (better) wine and I found this place while researching wine glasses. I've seen so many suggestions on this site that my mind is definitely boggled. Just ordered some GG "StandArt" Edition glasses that are arriving soon. I plan to order a couple other ones on BD12, great timing I'd say! :-) I went with the universal glass but is that truly the way to go, I don't "plan" on getting into super expensive wines so not sure I need different glasses for different wines. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks!
P 1 5 @ N 0

Anthony C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Anthony C »

I'll also recommend Grassl (if you get one, get a Liberte, best for white wines but I have used as a tasting glass for reds. I have a full set and use the Cru the most, though).

That said, Zalto and GG get a lot of positive reviews around here as well.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by Pat P »

Anthony C wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:20 pm I'll also recommend Grassl (if you get one, get a Liberte, best for white wines but I have used as a tasting glass for reds. I have a full set and use the Cru the most, though).

That said, Zalto and GG get a lot of positive reviews around here as well.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
P 1 5 @ N 0

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Pat P wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:24 am Hello everyone! Very new to (better) wine and I found this place while researching wine glasses. I've seen so many suggestions on this site that my mind is definitely boggled. Just ordered some GG "StandArt" Edition glasses that are arriving soon. I plan to order a couple other ones on BD12, great timing I'd say! :-) I went with the universal glass but is that truly the way to go, I don't "plan" on getting into super expensive wines so not sure I need different glasses for different wines. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks!
Nobody "plans" on getting into super expensive wines. It just happens! :)

Down the road, you might end up with one set of glasses for red and another for white. That has worked well for me (Grassl Cru and Grassl Liberte).
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Albert R »

The Gabriel StandArt was our first decent wine glass. We are now a Grassl and Glasvin house. The Grassl 1855 is my go to glass since I drink mostly reds.
@. Re-go

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#23 Post by Pat P »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:36 pm
Pat P wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:24 am Hello everyone! Very new to (better) wine and I found this place while researching wine glasses. I've seen so many suggestions on this site that my mind is definitely boggled. Just ordered some GG "StandArt" Edition glasses that are arriving soon. I plan to order a couple other ones on BD12, great timing I'd say! :-) I went with the universal glass but is that truly the way to go, I don't "plan" on getting into super expensive wines so not sure I need different glasses for different wines. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks!
Nobody "plans" on getting into super expensive wines. It just happens! :)

Down the road, you might end up with one set of glasses for red and another for white. That has worked well for me (Grassl Cru and Grassl Liberte).
Yeah, I know, hence the quotes.champagne.gif So I got the GG's yesterday and while they are very nice, they are a bit smaller than I would like, I drink mostly reds. How much bigger are the 1855 or Cru?
P 1 5 @ N 0

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by Pat P »

Albert R wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm The Gabriel StandArt was our first decent wine glass. We are now a Grassl and Glasvin house. The Grassl 1855 is my go to glass since I drink mostly reds.
How much bigger is the 1855?
P 1 5 @ N 0

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Chris Freemott »

Height is similar, bowl is much larger, but that's not the objective (volume)
The 1855 is designed to help capture aromatics from Bordeaux while restraining the alcohol.

I'm the importer for the Grassl brand in N. America. Our Elemental line is a closer comparison to the GG Standart.

www.grasslglass.com

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Pat P wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:46 pm
Pat P wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:24 am
Yeah, I know, hence the quotes.champagne.gif So I got the GG's yesterday and while they are very nice, they are a bit smaller than I would like, I drink mostly reds. How much bigger are the 1855 or Cru?
Chris is the best. I do not have a frame of reference to GG as I only own Grassl, but lots of folks own both. There are several glassware threads in the Wine Talk forum on this board.

While I primarily use Cru and Liberte, I do own the 1855. It is bigger and has a deeper bowl than the Cru. I like it with Bordeaux wines, as well as most Italian reds. Since the glass is shaped differently, it dumps the wine onto a different part of my palate. I should add that I don't drink many big reds (e.g. California Cab). The 1855 would probably be great for them.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Pat P »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:03 pm
The 1855 is designed to help capture aromatics from Bordeaux while restraining the alcohol.

I'm the importer for the Grassl brand in N. America. Our Elemental line is a closer comparison to the GG Standart.

www.grasslglass.com
Hi Chris,

I have read many of your posts and have been all over your site. I have learned much from this site and yours. When you say much larger are you talking 30%, 50%, more? What about the Cru, it looks like it's maybe even bigger/wider than the 1855?
P 1 5 @ N 0

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#28 Post by Pat P »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:17 pm
Pat P wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Chris is the best. I do not have a frame of reference to GG as I only own Grassl, but lots of folks own both. There are several glassware threads in the Wine Talk forum on this board.

While I primarily use Cru and Liberte, I do own the 1855. It is bigger and has a deeper bowl than the Cru. I like it with Bordeaux wines, as well as most Italian reds. Since the glass is shaped differently, it dumps the wine onto a different part of my palate. I should add that I don't drink many big reds (e.g. California Cab). The 1855 would probably be great for them.
Yes after looking again I see the Cru is smaller than the 1855. That might be the one.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Chris Freemott »

0BEC7C6D-5EA7-4D39-9170-BAF552CEE276.jpeg
Left to right

1855-Cru-Gabriel Gold-Liberté-Versatile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Albert R »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm 0BEC7C6D-5EA7-4D39-9170-BAF552CEE276.jpeg

Left to right

This is one of the many reasons why Chris is the best and the Grassl Glass is even better! I have not tried the Versatile and I need to change that soon!
@. Re-go

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#31 Post by Pat P »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm 0BEC7C6D-5EA7-4D39-9170-BAF552CEE276.jpeg

Left to right

Wow, this is awesome! This is absolutely what I needed to see. Currently we drink mostly Cali Cab's and Cali and Oregon Pinot's, would you recommend the 1855?

Thanks so much!!
P 1 5 @ N 0

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Chris Freemott »

Cabernet 1855 & Liberté
Pinot Cru

And you are very welcome.

Look, none of the glasses mentioned above are remotely ‘bad’. It’s along the lines of comparing a BMW to an Audi to a Mercedes.

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#33 Post by JDavisRoby »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:03 pm

www.grasslglass.com
Update site looks nice. The VR is pretty cool.
Joshu@

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#34 Post by Pat P »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:44 pm Cabernet 1855 & Liberté
Pinot Cru

Look, none of the glasses mentioned above are remotely ‘bad’. It’s along the lines of comparing a BMW to an Audi to a Mercedes.
I get it and that's a good comparison. Looks like the Liberte is very similar and a little bigger than the GG. Would that be a decent universal glass to use?
P 1 5 @ N 0

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by Chris Freemott »

Pat, yes, the Liberté is a direct competitor with the ZU and the GGG..

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#36 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Plenty of great recommendations here, I was just coming on to comment how odd it was that we've come full circle with regards to stemware. 15 years ago or so, the rage was 'a stem for every varietal', and everybody championed all the various styles they had, which was obviously led by Riedel's campaign, pushing the snot out of so many options. Now the push is for universal (which I now abide by as well)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#37 Post by Rodrigo B »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:20 pm Plenty of great recommendations here, I was just coming on to comment how odd it was that we've come full circle with regards to stemware. 15 years ago or so, the rage was 'a stem for every varietal', and everybody championed all the various styles they had, which was obviously led by Riedel's campaign, pushing the snot out of so many options. Now the push is for universal (which I now abide by as well)
I think we’ve gone past the push for universal stems (although there’s still plenty of people still buying universal stems) and are starting to see a renewed push into varietal stems. From the Grassl lineup to Zalto’s and even new players like Glassvin, all are making a push for varietal specific stemware.
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

M i k e C

#38 Post by M i k e C »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:44 pm Cabernet 1855 & Liberté
Pinot Cru

I’ve been reading about your glasses and customer service on these forums and am looking forward to trying out Grassl soon! Any recommendations between the 1855 and Liberté (or something else entirely) for zin/zin blends?
© |-| u

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Chris Freemott »

Mike
Great question with a not so great answer.
I feel like a college Econ professor; ‘it depends.’
This is a grape where I generally try all three glasses; Cru, Liberté, and the 1855, and let my decision flow from there.

Zin can be rich, high in alcohol or, if aged, delicate and fruity without heat.

70% of the time, Liberté wins
20% the 1855 followed by the Cru

Not trying to push more stems on you, but this is a grape with expansive personality.

Are you aware you can ‘Get a pair.’.......of glasses for free by signing up for Matthew Goldman’s Grand Reserve Rewards card? He has a link Todd put up as Matthew is doing some specials for WB folks.

You’ll also be able to get 12 free glasses with your signup points after you spend $3,000.00. That is 14 glasses. Gratis.

Greg Giere
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Greg Giere »

Jon H wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:31 pm Follow-up -- if you really do want to have just one kind of glass and you prefer to have some durability, the Gabriel Glass StandArt is quite nice. It's the same shape as the GGG, but is not mouthblown and therefore is thicker/more durable. You won't get the same experience as with a higher end glass, but you also don't need to freak out everytime you have to wash your glasses.
+1 for the GabrielGlas recommendation- I have both the StandArt and Gold Edition (mouth-blown) versions. The StandArt is perfect for everyday use and as a bonus, my wife is not afraid to use them, which cannot be said for the Gold Edition. The Golds are absolutely amazing to use but feel incredibly delicate (part of the allure, I suppose), and thus are only taken out for very special bottles.

https://gabriel-glasinternational.com/stemware/
Greg Giere
Sales Director, Cadence Winery

greg@cadencewinery.com
Cadence Website
IG: @cadencewinery
CT: ggiere

Zachary Mancini

#41 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Sophienwald glasses are my favorite. They are fantastic!

William SC

#42 Post by William SC »

In reading through the above thread, it seems like there are those who would recommend a number of different brands. Between the main recommendations (Zalto, Gabriel Glas, Grassl, Glasvin, The perfect Glass) does anyone know if any are less breakable? Or are they all pretty much the same in terms of durability? It would be great if the Grassl elemental came in a true red and white glass, as it seems like those are marketed as being more durable?
C o w l e s

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#43 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Wine enthusiast makes a fusion glass that’s supposed to be less breakable.

PatrickW
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by PatrickW »

The Schott Zwiesel Tritan Pure is definitely more durable and I would say overall a good glass. It's not on the same level as the glasses listed above. We tend to pull them if we're outside or have large groups over. Overall we use our Zaltos the majority of the time, but if your looking for durability Zwiesel is good. You can also find the Zwiesel's on sale for around $7/stem.
W e n g e r

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Eric Z. »

for years I used this line: https://www.bormioliluigi.com/tableware ... antee.html

I am now using Grassl which is a big step up for sure and honestly in 2 years no issues with the 8 Grassl I own. We put them in the dishwasher and its been really easy. They are weighted well with a nice base and do not tip.

That said those that I link to above - you can literally push the glass rim in a bit and it flexes and does not bend. Its not super high quality to impress people but they are very durable, not thick like restaurant glasses so they have a nicer feel, dishwasher safe and you can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon. I cannot compare them to some of the others listed here but at least you can go touch/feel them at a local store. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... i+bordeaux

Purchased 12 of each (2 red, 1 white - 36 total - didnt get champagne ones) about a decade ago, not 1 issue with casual drinking, parties, etc.
Z l o t o g u r a

B. Davies

#46 Post by B. Davies »

PatrickW wrote: October 11th, 2021, 7:50 am The Schott Zwiesel Tritan Pure is definitely more durable and I would say overall a good glass. It's not on the same level as the glasses listed above. We tend to pull them if we're outside or have large groups over. Overall we use our Zaltos the majority of the time, but if your looking for durability Zwiesel is good. You can also find the Zwiesel's on sale for around $7/stem.
I enjoy SZ glasses. Their wide opening makes a lot of meh wines taste a lot better. If I use my Gabriel Glas it'll make the wine taste worse somehow.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

William SC

#47 Post by William SC »

Yeah, I have som SZ glasses now. I am more just wondering if anyone has a strong opinion that some mouthblown/high end wine glasses are substantially more or less durable than others. I totally get that Zaltos, etc., are fragile. I am just wondering if, for example, anyone has experience where Zaltos break all the time but Grassls don't, or something similar.
C o w l e s

B. Davies

#48 Post by B. Davies »

Mouthblown has to do with the lightness imo. I don't find them to be any more/less strong than machine made glasses. Zaltos though if you've seen you can bend the rim quite a bit if you grip the glass. I think lighter glasses are nicer to hold, but much easier to tip over and break if you have been drinking.
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”