code 38 waiters corkscrew

Does anyone own a Code 38 waiters corkscrew? Hoping to get a few opinions @225.00 I am hesitant to purchase

Buy a Durand instead

For my home use I’m completely with Chris.

I have a perfectly adequate waiter’s corkscrew that I spent about $10 on. As my modest cellar ages, I am considering a Durand. The design and function are different enough that I may rationalize the $125 investment.

I can’t see spending another $100 without gaining significant function and I don’t see that the Code 38 provides that. If anything, it seems to provide basic waiter’s tool function; i.e. less function than the Durand.

Perhaps if I were a pro, opening lots of bottles every night and required to use a waiter’s tool I might feel differently.

Why are you considering it?

Are you ITB or something? Because unless you are and you’re opening a ton of younger wines, seems like a waste of $s vs. any other semi-decent key. Have to admit that I’m also somewhat shocked it isn’t double hinged, especially for the coin.

If opening older bottles, the Durand is pretty much the way to go if you’re okay with spending $125+ for it - if not, a ton of people have posted over the years about using an ah so in combo with a standard waiters wine key to achieve the same result.

I will dissent and say I love the Code 38. The most important question is, will you lose it? If you think you can hang onto it, it is money reasonably well spent. It is by a wide margin the best screw pull in the market. And yes, I own and use a Durand as well. But a Durand takes longer to use and is less functional with wines younger than 15-20 years old. If you open over 100 bottles a year, and get used to the action on it, you won’t want to use anything else.

Btw, the designer of the Code 38 specifically considered adding a double ledge to it, but made IMO, the right call not to include one. For most bottles you don’t need it and it just detracts from the functionality.

Thanks for the great comments! I have a few different styles of corkscrews and the code 38 just happened to catch my eye for the sleek design. It would be for home use only.

HiCoup Professional Waiter’s Corkscrew on Amazon for $13. Looks and feels way more expensive.

That’s what I use and love mine.

1 Like

This is my favorite: https://www.wineappreciation.com/corkscrews/super-pro-waiters-corkscrew-classic-stainless-steel-brushed-1

No affiliation, just a fan. It was Larry Stone who put me onto them.

My favorite by far.
Beautiful and a lifetime investment.

Interesting corkscrew. I generally hate the serrated blades of most corkscrews, but this one looks descent. I’ll have to see about checking this out.

Have yet to try the code 38 because $300 just seems like a silly price to pay for an everyday corkscrew unless you’re a somm.

Another questions. Pretty much most corkscrew I’ve tried have standard worms, anyone know any waiter’s style corkscrews that has thinner worms like the Durand? I love the way the Durand worm digs cleanly into corks.

FIFY

I have one similar to this one- though mine is not serrated. Sturdy, indestructible, have had it for 20 years. Just works.

There are so many more interesting ways to spend $300 IMO (regardless of your tax bracket)

I have code 38. It’s expensive, but it’s worth it. When I opened the wine bottle, many waiters corkscrews were uncomfortable. Because the hands were small, I used a two-stage opener instead of a one-stage opener, and these were generally thick, heavy, and large. The Code 38 is easy to hold in one hand, has a good grip, and I like its weight . Most importantly, I was able to open the wine very smoothly, easily and quickly. No one knew I was clumsy about opening wine!

I love mine as well. At $13 you can’t really go wrong.

We’ve been down this road before. What happened fo Enzo?

This thread made me look up the Professional Waiter’s Corkscrew on Amazon since I only have one that is double hinged and its not that nice. I saw there is a 35% off coupon on the Rosewood handle version (and only that version) right now at Amazon so its $7.47 now. FYI.