Why “Short/Boring” or “Long/Boring?”

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Tariq K
GCC Member
GCC Member

Why “Short/Boring” or “Long/Boring?”

#1 Post by Tariq K » October 23rd, 2018, 2:58 am

Hi

I’ve seen many people on this message board headline their tasting notes and stories with a disclaimer. Short vs long I get, but what’s with the boring? I still haven’t seen one with “Short/compelling” or similar. Is boring code for something, like “no pictures?”
Tariq K @ s s u m
Boston, MA
CT: tak4

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Why “Short/Boring” or “Long/Boring?”

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 23rd, 2018, 4:19 am

It's a Tom Hill "trademark." He's been using that in his note titles for decades, and a few have copied here and there.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tariq K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Tariq K » October 23rd, 2018, 6:17 am

Thanks. It seemed like it was specific to Tom but other people appear to have picked up the disclaimer habit. I do enjoy Tom's posts a lot, so I think */boring is a misnomer.
Tariq K @ s s u m
Boston, MA
CT: tak4

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 24th, 2018, 4:46 am

No doubt, but Tom is justifiably famous for [stirthepothal.gif] .

;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Steve Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Steve Anderson » January 27th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Just seeing this and looks like Tom hasn't happened upon it... I recalled this question being posed to Tom a few times over the years and found this response:
TomHill wrote:
June 22nd, 2017, 5:33 am
Blake Brown wrote:OK Tom, after all these years of seeing "[shot/boring]" after many of your threads, please explain. Is this your doing or the Administrator? Either way, why?
Perhaps I should have PM`d you, but I have to think others may have the same question. If better addressed via PM, then so be it and I`ll go that route.
A simple explanation, Blake.

The "short" and "long" are self-explanatory. The "long" TN's are usually from my weekly tastings, and rather long.
The "short" just random TN's of a few btls.

Back in the very early days of the InterNet when I started posting TN's, back when I had to connect my punch card reader
to the InterNet via a USB cable, the line speeds were frightfully slow, about 68 Baud. One punched card per second....
"kerchunk/kerchunk/kerchunk....". If you were including a .jpeg image or such, it could take over an hour to download the TN.
So...the InterNet protocol was to put "long" in your subject line as a courtesy to anyone that the download time might be
lengthy.

As for the "boring"...by the time I get done writing up the TN...I'm pretty bored by the effort. The presumption is that anyone
reading my TN's will be equally bored and fall asleep reading them.

Hope this explains it all, Blake.

Tom (TFIC)
I'm from the nearly the same generation as Tom and remember using punch cards in my High School computer class and graduating to teletype input in College. Back in the days when download speeds were measured in B's, rather than KB, MB or GB. I think my first recollection was speeds of around 400/800 Baud though, rather than Tom's 68.

Cheers!

Steve

Ian S

#6 Post by Ian S » January 29th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Is there a glossary or a thread explaining some of the terms and abbreviations used here? That would certainly help a newcomer hit the ground running.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I always assumed Tom got it from early Usenet/internet usage where similar was often used in headers of messages.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”