Tips for shopping at Costco

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
martinl

#1 Post by martinl » July 23rd, 2018, 9:10 am

I thought I share some things I have learned about buying wines at Costco after chatting with the wine buyer at my local store (If this is already public knowledge, sorry).

First look out for endings of prices. Typically, prices end in .99. Manager specials end in .97. Supplier deals end in 9s (other than .99). Inventory-dumping deals end in .88 or .00. So, anything that does not end in .99 is a special limited time deal. Stock up!

Second, talk to the wine manager (not the workers who just stock the cases). In my experience, they enjoy just chatting about wine in general.

Third, after talking with the wine buyer I learned that he has a list of people that he contacts when special deals start. He said that sometimes they get just a couple of cases of, say, a Burgundy that is 75% off. Unless you just happen to stop by that morning, you will miss out. So, get your name on that list!

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Martin
Martin L e t t a u

bretrooks

#2 Post by bretrooks » July 23rd, 2018, 5:28 pm

I knew about the price endings but not about the wine buyer lists...interesting.

One tip I have to add (for any who may not know) is that if a price tag has an asterisk in the corner, it means that item isn't going to be restocked. If you see something you're fond of and the price tag has a big *, consider loading up.
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

Bdklein

#3 Post by Bdklein » July 25th, 2018, 10:14 am

My tip for shopping at Costco is avoid it.
Nothing more pleasurable in life than getting hit with a huge shopping cart with some unneeded items in it by someone running around the store looking for free food samples .
Bruce Klein

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 7th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Bdklein wrote:My tip for shopping at Costco is avoid it.
Nothing more pleasurable in life than getting hit with a huge shopping cart with some unneeded items in it by someone running around the store looking for free food samples .
Totally disagree but my experience (over the last 20 years) has been very different because I avoid going on weekends or late on weekdays. Costco is an amazing store for so many things, and the ones that carry wine can have great deals.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”