Cabinet vs building small cellar

I’ve been collecting for about a year. Currently have a very nice wine fridge that holds 50 bottles and want to expand. Considering a Eurocave or Le Cache cabinet. But I also have space in my basement to build something the size of a Le Cache 300 bottle cabinet, and also a space that would be bigger (maybe 500-600 bottles). But what to do? The thought of designing my own ‘cellar’ is daunting. There are companies that’ll design it for me. Then building it is kinda daunting, as I don’t like to build stuff and am worried that the cost will quickly grow to more than a Eurocave or Le Cache cabinet. Anyone else deal with same issue? Thanks.

I’ve got a LeCache 2400 in my house, now about 10 years old. I have a casita in my house that currently houses a gym, and I’ve been thinking of turning it into a cellar, as it already has its own built-in standalone a/c unit. Wise George Hejna, who was visiting during a work trip today, opined that if I were to spend the money converting that casita to a cellar, I’d want to fill it - for no other reason than to fill it with wine.

For that reason, I’d say stick with a smaller cellar like LeCache/Eurocave

An overlooked factor is to make sure that if you are going o build an actual cellar that you plan to remain in the same house for at least 5-8 years. You can’t take it with you and it won’t pay for itself if you move.

Todd, that’s a good point. A collection will likely expand to fill available space. So I like your idea of a cabinet over building a cellar.

Until you fill that cabinet and have to choose between a second cabinet and a cellar.
You will fill what ever you build so focus on how big a collection you want… Then double it. [berserker.gif]

I have both. They both proved very useful.

For the cabinets:
I use a Eurocave Premier M Wine Cellar – Brunello’s, Barolo’s, and select Bordeaux and a 60 bottle ULine – Champagnes, and sparklers.

For the cellar:
I am fortunate in that my basements have been hovering between 58-62 degrees year round which has precluded me from building a closed cellar space.

For some cost saving thoughts on wine cellars, se the article “How to Build a Wine Cellar on a Budget” located on “wine cooler direct”.