Where to stay?
What to do?
Where to eat?
What to eat?
Where to shop wine?
What to see?

Go do lunch at the Green Goddess

http://greengoddessrestaurant.com

Food questions: Recent New Orleans Eats - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers
Exciting place to eat, for sure. One of the best in the country.
New Orleans is a singular experience on so many levels. You may hear: there’s really no other area in this country like New Orleans. And then you’ll go and realize, there’s really nothing like it. Wish I could visit more often. Have fun.

For the 1st time I’d stay in the quarter, but not on or too near Bourbon st. I usually like to stay in the old hotels with the charm (dirt/peeling paint/courtyards) of the city when there. Get a room with a balcony. If you prefer modern hotels though the Omni Royal is in a perfect location and great.

There’s so much to see, do and eat but one thing I’d say for first timers is to take the St Charles trolley one morning to Camellia grill. It not so much the food, but the journey. See the city, sit with some locals and the banter between the chefs cooking in front of you is incredible. It gives you a taste of the Garden district as you pass through which you might want to walk if the heat isn’t too bad.

Look in Gambit and see who is playing or what festivals might be going on.

Walk the Marigny neighborhood and that side of quarter. Esplanade street.

Frenchman street has gotten too big and busy, but I’d still go once. Make sure to catch brass band which will form at the Chartres corner. Have a beer from the market across the street in your hand.

There’s nothing wrong with most all Po-Boys (Mothers ect) but I prefer Parkway

I could go on and on and I’m sure lots of folks will chime in.

There are several threads for all the high end stuff for dinner.

Travel forum

A friend and I just stumbled across it years ago. An unexpected, random, good meal. I would go back.

Don’t miss the WWII museum.

Audubon park has a zoo, butterfly and insect garden, and some beautiful scenery.

Preservation hall.

For restaurants:
Peche
Clancy’s
La Petite Grocerie
Herbsaint
Shaya
Compere Lapin
Atchafalaya
Dick and Jenny’s
Cochon (and Cochon butcher for a more casual meal)

Our son was at Tulane so we were regulars.

I put the Audobon Zoo and Tipitina’s high on my list.
Taking a street car on the Saint Charles Line for an easy way to see some beautiful homes and parts of the City.

I stayed at the Royal Street Inn twice about 15-years-or-so ago. $125/night for the penthouse!

I always ate at Coop’s Place ($4 Chartreuse, $13 sampler of gumbo, jambalaya, chicken wing, etc).

Good luck!!

I’d stay at a small historic hotel or b&b that’s either at the Far East end of bourbon street or a block away. I think we stayed at the hotel Jean lafitte but it’s been years. Food is great, so don’t sweat that. Maybe try some of these types of places… You searched for New Orleans - Roadfood

I’d go on a cemetery tour, ride the streetcar out to garden district for lunch/breakfast at camellia grill and walking, be a tourist.

I always forget the travel forum…whoops.

Thanks all.

Brennan’s has a great cellar of vintage wines to choose from and some pretty reasonable prices as well

It’s hot, sticky, and smells. And it’s one of the coolest cities you’ll ever visit with fantastic food, music, and people. Try some smoked oysters at Felix’s. Beignets and chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde. And Commander’s Palace for a splurge.

Best gumbo is at Gumbo Shop. I second the recs for Cochon/Cochon Butcher for casual dining.

Brennan’s and Commander’s Palace for high-end dining.

Cafe du Monde for beignets - might be a little touristy but the beignets are the real deal.

Skip Bourbon Street and hang out on Frenchmen Street for nightlife. Great jazz and cocktail bars.

If you’re looking for a place to sample a bunch of wines or just grab a drink with some snacks, check at W.I.N.O. wine bar.

+100 for Brennan’s, mimosas and their eggs Benedict… btw NOLA is where my husband did his residency…

I would not survive if I did my residency in NOLA. I gained 5 lbs. just from being there for a week-long conference [rofl.gif]

I did my residency in New Orleans. My alcohol intake tripled despite work.

Here are my oft-repeated rec’s for THE (drunken young’un’s*) New Orleans Experience

Where to stay:

Royal Street Inn in French Quarter (loved the top-level suite)

Marriott on Canal St (spitting distance from the Quarter, think it used to be a Days Inn, nice now)

AirBnB, “Near Upperline/Prytania (nice part of town)”

I have not stayed in the last place, but I once crashed at a friend’s place on Prytania, and it is a beautiful part of town (still close to the fun).

Where to Eat:

Coop’s Place on Decatur Street ([u]great[/u] food, cheap Chartreuse)- “Coop’s Taste Plate” $15.75: A cup of seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, cajun fried chicken, red beans & rice with sausage, and rabbit & sausage jambalaya

Café du Monde (DUH! Hangover Helper)

La Madeleine (froo-froo delicate foods)

Things to Do:

Decatur Street Attractions

What’s your specialty?

General surgery. When I was a resident in the late 80’s, Joe’s bar a block from Charity Hospital was legendary among hospital staff.