Unexpectedly thrust into wine!

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
R. Kirkpatrick

#1 Post by R. Kirkpatrick » January 24th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Long story short. I acquired an online business selling wine/wine glasses/beer mugs and have little to no experience in any of it.
Two part question:
1.Does the type of glass truly make that much of a difference?
2.Any tips for good sources of info?! This was the first forum in my google search. Any reading on the topic would be greatly appreciated!
R i c h a r d

Bill S.

#2 Post by Bill S. » January 24th, 2018, 1:44 pm

In response to the first question:

God YES. If you want to see the difference a glass makes try the same wine in a restaurant style glass vs. a Riedel made for that type of wine.

Second question:

If your looking for information on glassware then Riedels website is a good source (of course they are pushing their stemware lol), wine information would be any one of several websites, I know Winefolly is a good source as is wine searcher
Bill Stell ITB

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by PeterH » January 24th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I'd separate question #1 into two parts, aesthetics and function.

For most contributors to this forum, I take for granted that aesthetics matter a lot. When drinking a glass of fine wine might be the highlight of a day, you want to enhance the experience in every way.
For most of the world, wine and beer are something you drink without paying a lot of attention, and don't get the fuss at all.

As for function, we all probably agree that size does matter. You just don't get the aromas collecting and developing in a small glass. Shape is more controversial. Almost everyone agrees that a wine glass should taper in at the top. Most here include that consideration for sparkling wines and many types of beer.

When you get into exact shapes, opinions start to diverge. Some, including myself, will use differently shaped glasses almost interchangeably, as long as the size, weight, and balance are equivalent. Others are highly partisan. I'll leave it to them to speak up defending their preferences.

This forum has many threads you can find using the search function that get deep into glassware discussions. Try searching for "stemware", "Riedel", "Zalto","Gabriel", or even "beer glasses".
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Ian Sutton

#4 Post by Ian Sutton » January 27th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Hi Richard
1. Yes
2. Arguably the best way to learn is to try for yourself. Even quite modest glasses can demonstrate a remarkable difference e.g. paris goblets vs. some modest but tulip shaped glasses. Add in a riedel, Zaalto, Schott-Zweisel or similar and line up 2-3 wines and a few friends. Then maybe later try and get to a tasting event run by one of these companies, to show the differences even between quite similar glasses.

Please excuse me making a quip about the quality of due diligence these days. You're a braver person than me in acquiring a business you have no knowledge about!

Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by alan weinberg » February 4th, 2018, 8:19 am

echoing the aforementioned, HUGE difference in wine taste based on glass size/shape/thickness. Many are avoiding leaded crystal due to health concerns, though that idea separate subject.

Steve Slatcher

#6 Post by Steve Slatcher » February 7th, 2018, 12:52 am

PeterH wrote:I'd separate question #1 into two parts, aesthetics and function.
I agree to an extent.

I'd say: separate aesthetics and function when analysing how glasses work, but then go on acknowledge that our brains integrate perceptions from many senses to create the taste of wine and determine how much we enjoy it.

For example, I don't for a moment believe the functional argument for a thin rim to wine glass. Thick rimes do not "disrupt the flow of wine", and even if they did it would have little effect on how the wine passes over the tongue. But I think the sensation on the lips creates an impression of a sharper, more defined, wine. This is not "just" imagination - it is a very real effect. Similarly, the visual impact of a beautiful glass is important.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”