Wine n00b here looking for direction

So, I’ve been primarily a beer and whiskey geek for the past twelve years, however, I’ve just begun to start getting into wine.

So far from the few months or so that I’ve been trying things I’m finding that as far as reds go I seem to enjoy both Zinfindels and Syrahs while Merlots and Cabernets just don’t seem to agree with my palette, I find them too dry and earthy.

As far as whites go I’ve tried a bunch but my absolute favorite was this wine from Hungary, Tokaj Aszu.

I also enjoy fortified wine like Sherry and Port quite a bit as well.

Given this information what styles and varieties should I be looking into?

Hi Asbjorn
Welcome to the forum.

Based on your current likes, I’d definitely continue to plow those furrows, as there is often a lot of subtle variation within a particular grape/style.

Worth trying some Aussie Shiraz from Maclaren Vale or Barossa Valley (same grape as Syrah, but the name often suggests a fruitier rather than more savoury wine).

Amarone from Italy would be well worth a try, drying of the grapes concentrates the flavours and the alcohol, with it hitting anywhere between 15-18%

As a variant to Port / Sherry, worth looking out for the French fortified wine Banyuls. South of France could also be a useful place to explore, including Languedoc / Roussillon

Moving across to Spain, some of the old regions emerged from bulk wine anonymity to producing some seriously hearty wine. Priorat should be easy to get hold of, but plenty more besides that (at this stage I’d say Rioja ISN’T in the style you’ve liked, but worth trying it if you want to try something a little different)

Portugal is starting to emerge even more, with the Douro (Port region) making table wines, often with the same grapes. Alentejo also a region to look out for, but probably not Bairrada or Dao for your current tastes.

Plenty more options out there, just keep tasting and follow your nose (and palate)

regards
Ian

Wow, Ian, great reply