How do you control your alcohol intake?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Andy Ryle

Re: How do you control your alcohol intake?

#51 Post by Andy Ryle » August 28th, 2018, 9:32 am

Chris Foley wrote:
September 8th, 2016, 12:36 pm
I control my alcohol intake by swallowing.
+1

Mattstolz

#52 Post by Mattstolz » September 1st, 2018, 10:23 am

i try to limit to one glass a night during the week, and normally 2-3 on a special night or weekend. I also try to take a night off each week. I think a consistent low intake is better than a roller coaster intake that averages out to the same number of glasses per week, and its always been easier for me to control binging with anything whether its food, alchohol, or anything else, by practicing moderation than by abstaining and allowing myself to go crazy occasionally.

DaveStein

#53 Post by DaveStein » October 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm

When the bottle is empty, open another. If there aren't anymore, i'm done for the night.
newhere

riaz syed

#54 Post by riaz syed » October 26th, 2018, 5:48 am

By driving. No, seriously. Instead of drinking junk whilst out, now drive and have a glass or two of something decent when I get in.

Peter Papay

#55 Post by Peter Papay » November 15th, 2018, 10:10 pm

riaz syed wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 5:48 am
By driving. No, seriously. Instead of drinking junk whilst out, now drive and have a glass or two of something decent when I get in.
Riaz, not sure if I follow your argumentation. Are you suggesting to drive and therefore limit the amount of drinks you consume?

jbray23

#56 Post by jbray23 » December 1st, 2018, 11:53 pm

Peter Papay wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 10:10 pm
riaz syed wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 5:48 am
Riaz, not sure if I follow your argumentation. Are you suggesting to drive and therefore limit the amount of drinks you consume?
I think he’s saying only drink at home...
Jason, back itb

Russell Faulkner

#57 Post by Russell Faulkner » December 2nd, 2018, 12:34 am

I wake up 2-4 times a week at 04:30 to ride bikes.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by dsGriswold » December 2nd, 2018, 11:24 am

Getting older has done it for me. I once asked my father why he didn't drink anymore. Now I know and my mother only drank on social occasions, drinking alone was not her thing. Some family members on my mother's side and my brother had a problem with drink. Driving while old is problem enough, no need for complications. [snort.gif]
DennisG

Peter Papay

#59 Post by Peter Papay » December 3rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

dsGriswold wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:24 am
Getting older has done it for me.
That will certainly do it. I noticed the same with my parents. An opened bottle would linger around for weeks.

I wonder if drinking in moderation at younger age will allow you to stay in better health and therefore allow you to enjoy your goodies at a later stage in life? newhere

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#60 Post by H Wallace Jr » December 4th, 2018, 9:24 am

For me- A healthy change in diet, early AMs at the gym, and having a pregnant (now nursing) wife. I still have wine almost every night, but often just a glass. I either share a bottle at dinner with my in-laws, or watch a bottle over multiple days. On the weekends, I am more apt to cook larger meals leaving more time at the table for wine.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N

#61 Post by R0$$ M 0 R R 1 $ 0 N » December 30th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Peter Papay wrote:
September 7th, 2016, 6:12 pm
Probably not a very popular topic to be posted on a wine lovers website, but anyway its something very important to me. To keeps things under control I abstain from alcohol consumption during the week. My wife and I will make some exemptions (holidays, birthdays, entertainment,..) but will keep it typically within a glass. You may say we limit ourselves to social drinking during the week and because of our busy working styles there is not much entertainment, ergo not much alcohol.
Weekends are different and I open a bottle for the sake of just tasting it and usually finish it off. Add in a cigar and some single malt, gush it down with some beer, have another wine with the meal,....
Its a bit of a roller coaster ride from nothing during the week and then having the feeling to catch up on the weekend.
Nice pic Peter! I do a few things, mainly centered on moderating vs restricting intake.

1) I often drink less frequently during the week but do enjoy wine on weeknights. When doing so, I keep a few 1/2 bottles from Sauternes on hand. ON OPENING a bottle, I'll pour half into the half bottle and cork it BEFORE decanting or starting into it, and save half for later. Pouring off have and sealing it is important as it is more difficult to stop 1/2 way through a bottle. Also, pouring into the half bottle on opening limits the air exposure and the remainder will be good for several days. I often do this on the weekend and only infrequently consume a full bottle.

2) Mix up the alcohol. Sometimes a small serving of Chinato, Grappa or Cognac is satisfying whereas a single glass of wine usually leads to 1/2 a bottle.

3) When at wine dinners KEEP THE POUR SMALL. I enjoy the experience of tasting lots of different wines and comparing them, but have no ambition to get drunk or drink to excess. Moderating the intake also leads to being able to taste the wines served later in the dinner...

4) Having moderate alcohol during the week (not every night) leaves me going into the weekend without feeling any need to 'catch up'. I'll often have a full bottle of wine Friday night, starting with dinner but that has more to do with relaxing after the work week and not having to be too productive Saturday morning...

Cheers,

Peter Papay

#62 Post by Peter Papay » January 23rd, 2019, 3:04 am

Looks like you have a good system going for you Ross!

EileenC

#63 Post by EileenC » January 28th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Began a while ago to just drink weekends. It was difficult at first because of being used to always having wine with dinner. A substitute of soda water/lime or lemon juice/ and mango or pineapple helped the craving a lot. And as a by product my skirts fit better :)

Dave McCloskey

#64 Post by Dave McCloskey » January 31st, 2019, 10:16 am

This month I abstained from all forms of alcohol for 3+ weeks. During the Holidays I was drinking almost everyday and didn't like the way I was feeling. I'm glad I cleared my system out, because I slept better, had fewer headaches and felt mentally sharper. Moving forward I'm going to limit my consumption to two days a week and nothing during the week.

Vuk K

#65 Post by Vuk K » February 5th, 2019, 6:27 am

Being a stay-at-home dad really changed my habits... right now, only 2 glasses on Fridays and Saturdays

Whatever the reason - I'm happy I'm not killing bottles anymore like there's no tomorrow [training.gif]
kr@j@¢!¢

Patrick T

#66 Post by Patrick T » February 5th, 2019, 5:09 pm

About 8 months ago, I started using Cellartracker to keep track of my modest cellar.

About a month ago, I ran a drinking report and, wow, I'd been drinking a lot! I am the only wine drinker in the household, and it had become easy to drink a whole bottle over the course of the evening. Seeing the data has been quite helpful.
Longtime lurker.

WOTY 2018
2011 Vidon Pinot Noir Barrel Select
2010 Adelsheim Pinot Noir Elizabeth's Reserve
2012 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard

Patrick Taylor

D. Mowe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by D. Mowe » February 13th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
September 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm
When I was employed, my intake was controlled by my paycheck. Now that I'm retired, I can drink everyday. Some day, I'll be able to serve as a bad example.

Well, the truth is, it was controlled by workdays and shifts. I worked four ten hour shifts on patrol, mostly Graveyard. There was nobody to drink with at 8 AM and I usually went home and slept. Day shifts and investigations assignments allowed me to bowl on Tuesday night, attend the Elks Lodge Wednesday night, play softball Thursday night, play golf Saturday/Sunday and join friends for dinner Friday or Saturday. Alcohol was included in each activity. Drinking in moderation was the control, but it got out of control on occasion.

Now we own a wine shop. Need I say more.
absolutely cracking up reading this.... champagne.gif
Dustin
ITB

Peter Papay

#68 Post by Peter Papay » March 3rd, 2019, 4:35 pm

EileenC wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 4:10 pm
Began a while ago to just drink weekends. It was difficult at first because of being used to always having wine with dinner. A substitute of soda water/lime or lemon juice/ and mango or pineapple helped the craving a lot. And as a by product my skirts fit better :)
Great idea Eileen.

Keep it up!

michael ottesen

#69 Post by michael ottesen » March 30th, 2019, 8:01 am

I drink abort 3 bottles a week,so i dont Worry to much about it.remember to live.Life is short [cheers.gif]

Tony Toto

#70 Post by Tony Toto » July 28th, 2019, 9:40 am

I don't drink more than two glasses in a sitting. I always have water on hand to sip throughout and after.
The only good rock music is loud rock music!

Founder / President Wine Wizard, LLC - Crowdfunding excellence for the wine industry!

EHeffner

#71 Post by EHeffner » July 31st, 2019, 7:46 pm

I found myself reaching for a drink of some sort everyday after work. I didn’t like that so I made a rule, no drinking M-W. Usually have a beer on Thursday, and then open a bottle or two of wine throughout the weekend, with a glass or two of bourbon sprinkled in
E v @ n

Peter Papay

#72 Post by Peter Papay » August 29th, 2019, 6:50 pm

EHeffner wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 7:46 pm
I found myself reaching for a drink of some sort everyday after work. I didn’t like that so I made a rule, no drinking M-W. Usually have a beer on Thursday, and then open a bottle or two of wine throughout the weekend, with a glass or two of bourbon sprinkled in
Good for you. Thats a great regimen. Keep it up.

I too found it hard after a good day of work not to resort to some liquid enjoyment. It can quickly become habitual which is not where I would like to go. Designating off days is a way to deal with it.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”