How do you control your alcohol intake?

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Peter Papay

#1 Post by Peter Papay » September 7th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Probably not a very popular topic to be posted on a wine lovers website, but anyway its something very important to me. To keeps things under control I abstain from alcohol consumption during the week. My wife and I will make some exemptions (holidays, birthdays, entertainment,..) but will keep it typically within a glass. You may say we limit ourselves to social drinking during the week and because of our busy working styles there is not much entertainment, ergo not much alcohol.
Weekends are different and I open a bottle for the sake of just tasting it and usually finish it off. Add in a cigar and some single malt, gush it down with some beer, have another wine with the meal,....
Its a bit of a roller coaster ride from nothing during the week and then having the feeling to catch up on the weekend.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Randy Bowman » September 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

When I was employed, my intake was controlled by my paycheck. Now that I'm retired, I can drink everyday. Some day, I'll be able to serve as a bad example.

Well, the truth is, it was controlled by workdays and shifts. I worked four ten hour shifts on patrol, mostly Graveyard. There was nobody to drink with at 8 AM and I usually went home and slept. Day shifts and investigations assignments allowed me to bowl on Tuesday night, attend the Elks Lodge Wednesday night, play softball Thursday night, play golf Saturday/Sunday and join friends for dinner Friday or Saturday. Alcohol was included in each activity. Drinking in moderation was the control, but it got out of control on occasion.

Now we own a wine shop. Need I say more.
Last edited by Randy Bowman on September 7th, 2016, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Peter Papay

#3 Post by Peter Papay » September 7th, 2016, 6:52 pm

I wish there would be an easy way to ensure that it will be only one glass with the meal. So far I had very little success, hence the no wine during the week. Really miss it though with a good meal and most of the time we also talk on the dinning table which wine would go nicely along with it which is not very helpful.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian Tuite » September 7th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Weekends are different and I open a bottle for the sake of just tasting it and usually finish it off. Add in a cigar and some single malt, gush it down with some beer, have another wine with the meal,....
GaryC328i, is that you? ;-)
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Ron Kramer

#5 Post by Ron Kramer » September 8th, 2016, 11:39 am

Having Joyce with me......

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Chris Foley » September 8th, 2016, 12:36 pm

I control my alcohol intake by swallowing.
Chris F.

Sanjay Shampur

#7 Post by Sanjay Shampur » September 19th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Chris Foley wrote:I control my alcohol intake by swallowing.
I stop just before I get to the point when I have to hold on to something to stay vertical - it is an acquired skill [cheers.gif] [snort.gif]

ybarselah

#8 Post by ybarselah » September 19th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Zalto
Yaacov (ITB)

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 20th, 2016, 2:02 pm

My wife controls my intake, loudly at times :)
PlanoWino

Dennis Kanagie

#10 Post by Dennis Kanagie » September 25th, 2016, 9:52 am

It's easy to control - just be a responsible adult. If you're drinking to get wasted, there are much more efficient liquors than wine.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

PeterJ

#11 Post by PeterJ » September 27th, 2016, 10:32 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
Now we own a wine shop. Need I say more.
Nope. When we owned our shop I think my greatest joy was dealing with great customers and that carried on into the years I worked at the shop in the harbor. Now that they've closed, and I'm looking for a similar gig, I kinda think I miss the ability to taste great wine almost every day almost as much as I miss the people. Maybe more.
Peter J@ckel

Travis_Hull

#12 Post by Travis_Hull » December 10th, 2016, 1:05 pm

If you get a coravin you can pour just one glass at a time. In theory it makes it easier not to polish off a full bottle "since it's already open".

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by ykwon » December 28th, 2016, 7:33 pm

Agree with what Travis said. Prior to buying a pungo, I'd regularly finish a bottle in a night or two even if I didn't really feel like drinking that much.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by David K o l i n » December 29th, 2016, 9:22 am

I sleep
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Bryan Carr

#15 Post by Bryan Carr » December 29th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Coravin has helped us with this, as sometimes I just don't want a half bottle of wine, heck sometimes we just want to split a single glass of something decent while we watch a TV show before bed. But really, 2.5 glasses each over the entire course of an evening (one while you cook dinner, one while you eat, one between the two of you curled up on the couch watching Law & Order or Jeopardy or w/e) isn't really all that much alcohol spaced out over 4 hours or so unless you're drinking 17% Zinfandel or something.
CT: the_lovenest

Colby Scott

#16 Post by Colby Scott » January 10th, 2017, 9:39 pm

This may seem counter-intuitive but if you spend more per bottle than you normally do you'll be less likely to finish the bottle in one night. Also, Coravin (and soon Plum).

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Jason T » January 14th, 2017, 4:48 am

Colby at least for me it's very counter intuitive. If spend a lot on a bottle it's almost always gone in one night, because even if I'm able to keep my hands off of it the friends I'm sharing it with can't! Variety is the spice of life though!
J@son Tr@ughber

S Chapman

#18 Post by S Chapman » January 14th, 2017, 6:57 am

Sometimes I control it........

Sometimes it controls me!
S t e p h e n

Jon U

#19 Post by Jon U » January 18th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I try to take a night or two off per week. Past that, I try to keep things in moderation most nights.
J U s e r y

Mary Deem

#20 Post by Mary Deem » January 28th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Bad genetics. Chronic kidney disease and hypothyrodism - both idopathic,possibly genetic (mom's side all suffer from one or both). I am limited to a weekend bottle of wine....but on the up side, I cherish every sip...and choose more carefully. Just happy to be able to drink at all.

So take an extra sip for me the next time you are imbibing a little too much champagne.gif

Robert A. Ashley

#21 Post by Robert A. Ashley » January 29th, 2017, 6:09 am

Only drink.enough until she looks good then I call it a night but if she didn't start out so hot well then I tend to consume a lot more which often leads to consuming even more when I wake up.

Joe Webb

#22 Post by Joe Webb » January 29th, 2017, 10:33 pm

We follow European norms and consider wine part of a healthy lifestyle. We have wine every night with family dinner. Usually start with bubbles or white(12 ish alc) while meal planning and cooking, then a bottle of red (13 ish alc) with food and conversation.

Some beer instead of white sometimes. I guess most off all hard liquor only a few times a year mostly in margaritas.

I still spit and dump nearly much as we drink between tasting/blending/events/tasting room leftovers etc.

What are you trying to control? Inebriation, calories, money?
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by dsGriswold » January 30th, 2017, 10:47 am

As I have gotten older, I like to taste so do small pours. We share a house with our daughter, so I will pour a glass and give them the rest. Now if it is something I really like, I can get a bit possessive and squirrel the bottle away. Fortunately I like to follow a wine over several days and could have several open. I also love to drink coffee which helps a lot. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Peter Papay

#24 Post by Peter Papay » January 31st, 2017, 6:14 pm

We follow European norms and consider wine part of a healthy lifestyle.
Wine consumption in Spain, France and Italy dropped by 50% since 1970. I guess it will be up to us to set the new norm.

It is all about moderation. A glass of wine with your meal can certainly be beneficial to your health. The problem is to keep it at that. If I opened a bottle in the past I usually finished it the same day. The health impact over a longer period of time would be significant. I therefore did not drink during the week at all. With some effort and will power I now keep it at a single glass serving with my meal. Some days I don't drink at all. On the weekend and while socializing limits are off. This arrangement serves me quiet well for now.

Joe Webb

#25 Post by Joe Webb » February 3rd, 2017, 10:54 am

Peter Papay wrote:
We follow European norms and consider wine part of a healthy lifestyle.
Wine consumption in Spain, France and Italy dropped by 50% since 1970. I guess it will be up to us to set the new norm.

It is all about moderation. A glass of wine with your meal can certainly be beneficial to your health. The problem is to keep it at that. If I opened a bottle in the past I usually finished it the same day. The health impact over a longer period of time would be significant. I therefore did not drink during the week at all. With some effort and will power I now keep it at a single glass serving with my meal. Some days I don't drink at all. On the weekend and while socializing limits are off. This arrangement serves me quiet well for now.
I get where your coming from. They have had a decrease in wine consumption though alternatives, beer/spirits have largely replaced that with the folks younger than boomers. In wine country (specifically France) I have found the lifestyle I aspire to which includes roughly a bottle a day of sub 14% alcohol wine with little to no distilled spirits and only some beer.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

S Chapman

#26 Post by S Chapman » February 4th, 2017, 5:47 pm

To control my drinking, I usually use my right hand.

When that gets shaky, I use my left hand.

When that gets shaky, I sometimes go to the two handed grip.

When that gets too shaky, I quit drinking!
S t e p h e n

Peter Papay

#27 Post by Peter Papay » August 28th, 2017, 1:39 pm

I am a bit bewildered about some comments from fellow forumites which believe that drinking smaller quantities and/or less frequent drinking should disqualify someone from partaking on this site.

IMHO you don't have to consume a lot of alcohol nor do you need to drink it on a daily base to enjoy it. For myself I mostly enjoy to taste wine in small quantities mostly on weekends and social gatherings. I don't have to go through a whole bottle in a day. Most of the time I will enjoy it over 2-3 days. It is quiet interesting to see how the wine evolves over a longer period of time. I truly enjoy the great variety and complexity of this experience. Does that make me a lesser wine lover compared to someone who gulps down a bottle a day? You decide for yourself what is best for you.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Brian Tuite » August 28th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Peter Papay wrote:I am a bit bewildered about some comments from fellow forumites which believe that drinking smaller quantities and/or less frequent drinking should disqualify someone from partaking on this site.

IMHO you don't have to consume a lot of alcohol nor do you need to drink it on a daily base to enjoy it. For myself I mostly enjoy to taste wine in small quantities mostly on weekends and social gatherings. I don't have to go through a whole bottle in a day. Most of the time I will enjoy it over 2-3 days. It is quiet interesting to see how the wine evolves over a longer period of time. I truly enjoy the great variety and complexity of this experience. Does that make me a lesser wine lover compared to someone who gulps down a bottle a day? You decide for yourself what is best for you.
I just re-read this entire thread and didn't see one post where someone made fun of you, belittled your consumption or suggested you not post here. Inferiority complex much? Many jokes about holding the glass, swallowing, standing up etc but this is Berserkers and it would not be if nobody had a sense of humor. Respectfully methinks you are barking up the wrong tree.
[cheers.gif]

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Peter Papay

#29 Post by Peter Papay » August 28th, 2017, 2:34 pm

It was not an personally addressed message which prompted me to post this but rather a general statement to not forget the effect alcohol has on your body.

I am all for jokes but lets keep it real. Sorry if I offended someone.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brian Tuite » August 28th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Peter Papay wrote:It was not an personally addressed message which prompted me to post this but rather a general statement to not forget the effect alcohol has on your body.

I am all for jokes but lets keep it real. Sorry if I offended someone.
On the contrary, it sounded like you were offended. We're all adults here, well mostly, I think everyone has a handle on their consumption. [cheers.gif]

2019 WOTY...

Peter Papay

#31 Post by Peter Papay » August 29th, 2017, 3:51 am

On the contrary, it sounded like you were offended. We're all adults here, well mostly, I think everyone has a handle on their consumption.
No offence taken - for real.

But I beg to differ your statement about the consumption part. [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Brian Tuite » August 29th, 2017, 6:15 am

Peter Papay wrote:
But I beg to differ your statement about the consumption part. [cheers.gif]
Where would you draw the line? 1 bottle a week? My wife and I average a bottle a night between us. Alcohol consumption equal to that of maybe two beers although I don't drink a lot of beer. At 56 years old other than being overweight my blood tests show I am a healthy adult. Everyones physiology is different, I know lots of people my age who take a number of medications just to keep their system correct. Why them and not me? I'm overweight and drink 1/2 a bottle of wine every day. Isn't that an unhealthy lifestyle?

Point being that broad application of what is good and bad for ones health does not stick to every canvas. YMMV.

2019 WOTY...

Peter Papay

#33 Post by Peter Papay » August 29th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Well Brian that is a a good question. Like you said it is up a everyones physiology what amount might be adequate to avoid any health effects. The exact amount is being heavily debated and part of numerous short and long term studies. IMO there are just too many variables which prevent us to come up with a functional formula how many alcoholic servings/day/week are deemed acceptable. Just think of the timing of your alcohol consumption. It makes a huge difference if you drink prior consuming food or after.

At the end one will need to deal with the consequences one way or the other. I am glad you found a way which keeps you on a healthy path. Keep it up. [thumbs-up.gif]

I just didn't agree with your general statement that you believe that everyone here has a handle on their consumption.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Siun o'Connell » August 29th, 2017, 7:07 pm

I'm not getting why you would raise this question, take offense at some general comments not directed at you and then make a comment questioning "everyone here" etc. You are relatively new to WB I gather?

Peter Papay

#35 Post by Peter Papay » August 30th, 2017, 3:36 am

Siun,

I did explain in detail why I am bewildered and not offended by some comments made here on this site and it was chalked off as a joke which I can understand but not necessarily agree with.

I believe It is fair to say that not everyone has a handle on their consumption. A statement I did not make - but Brian did. I merely responded to it with my personal opinion.

Yes, I am new to this board but this still makes me eligible to express my feelings. When I started this topic I anticipated some grief and knew that I wont win any popularity votes but maybe I get you to think about some important issues which come along with our hobby.
Cheers
Peter

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian Tuite » August 30th, 2017, 6:06 am

Peter Papay wrote:Siun,

I did explain in detail why I am bewildered and not offended by some comments made here on this site and it was chalked off as a joke which I can understand but not necessarily agree with.

I believe It is fair to say that not everyone has a handle on their consumption. A statement I did not make - but Brian did. I merely responded to it with my personal opinion.

Yes, I am new to this board but this still makes me eligible to express my feelings. When I started this topic I anticipated some grief and knew that I wont win any popularity votes but maybe I get you to think about some important issues which come along with our hobby.
Cheers
Peter
That's all well and good but I think Siun's point is that your being relativelt new here and without knowing the vibe of the people it's a stretch to assume that many have alcohol issues stemming from over-consumption. It's not a knock on your newbieness nor a suggestion you not post.
I've met scores and scores of Berserkers over the years and they are mainly professionals with good social and economic standing who like to share their love for wine with others. I have yet to see one bow out with liver issues or rehab stints.

2019 WOTY...

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#37 Post by Chris Foley » August 30th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Brian Tuite wrote: That's all well and good but I think Siun's point is that your being relativelt new here and without knowing the vibe of the people it's a stretch to assume that many have alcohol issues stemming from over-consumption. It's not a knock on your newbieness nor a suggestion you not post.
I've met scores and scores of Berserkers over the years and they are mainly professionals with good social and economic standing who like to share their love for wine with others. I have yet to see one bow out with liver issues or rehab stints.
Brian,
The OP is only speaking for himself wrt people on the forum not having a handle on their consumption, I think.
This is what I gleaned from re-reading his first post.
Chris F.

Peter Papay

#38 Post by Peter Papay » August 30th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Brian,
it's a stretch to assume that many have alcohol issues stemming from over-consumption
I never made that assumption.

If you read the posts you will notice that I just responded to your statement.
I think everyone has a handle on their consumption.
But enough of the nitpicking. I think the big picture is that we are all adults and are well aware about the consequences of our actions and impact on our families/friends and well being/health.

True, that I do not have developed any deep personal relationships with fellow members since I just recently joined, but I am on my way to change that and in the process to organize a local tasting group. I guess once I pass that point I might have a better understanding about the "horsing around" which puzzled me. In the meanwhile stay true to your resolutions whatever they may be.
Peter
PS: I wish we could have such conversations in person (with a glass of wine of course). Just too many details get lost in only typing back and forth which ultimately might lead to unintentional assumptions.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Brian Tuite » August 30th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Peter Papay wrote: PS: I wish we could have such conversations in person (with a glass of wine of course). Just too many details get lost in only typing back and forth which ultimately might lead to unintentional assumptions.
Agreed. Too often, when discussing things online, peoples intentions become misconstrued. If you ever come to Sonoma County I'll pop a few and we can discuss at length! [cheers.gif]

2019 WOTY...

Peter Papay

#40 Post by Peter Papay » August 30th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Sounds like a plan!

I would be very upset if you do not knock on my door when you are in Toronto. [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brian Tuite » August 30th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Peter Papay wrote:Sounds like a plan!

I would be very upset if you do not knock on my door when you are in Toronto. [cheers.gif]
Why would I come to Toronto? pileon (I say that was a joke Son. A joke I tell you!)

2019 WOTY...

Peter Papay

#42 Post by Peter Papay » August 31st, 2017, 5:40 am

Well in that case Brian, you will just deemed inadmissible and denied entry into our beautiful country. neener

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by George Chadwick » September 30th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Peter Papay wrote:I am a bit bewildered about some comments from fellow forumites which believe that drinking smaller quantities and/or less frequent drinking should disqualify someone from partaking on this site.

I just re-read this entire thread and didn't see one post where someone made fun of you, belittled your consumption or suggested you not post here. Inferiority complex much? Many jokes about holding the glass, swallowing, standing up etc but this is Berserkers and it would not be if nobody had a sense of humor. Respectfully methinks you are barking up the wrong tree.
[cheers.gif]
Ditto. Peter I had a serious response to your original post but your most recent post for several reasons made me lose interest in joining this conversation.

Peter Papay

#44 Post by Peter Papay » October 15th, 2017, 12:25 pm

In light of the current events unfolding in California it is very difficult to post anything else other then wishing that the situation will get under control expeditiously and hope for a safe return for everyone to their regular lives. Upmost respect to all the professionals, volunteers and individuals who are putting their lives on line to help others. Sometimes it takes a catastrophic event like this one to bring the best out of people (unfortunately in some minor cases also the worst).

We are now at the verge of a busy wine tasting period and pre Xmas party time season. I for myself started my swimming regimen to keep my body and mind in healthy balance. Physical activity has always been an important part of my life to compensate for my "sins". If you don't feel like a workout after a good night out, try to go to a sauna. Sweating out all those toxins makes me invariably feel like new born again.

George, if everyone would choose be refrain from posting if they are not in agreement with some of the postings, this would be a very empty forum. I hope you reconsider and share your thoughts on this serious subject. [basic-smile.gif]

Jerome Rome

#45 Post by Jerome Rome » June 15th, 2018, 9:32 am

I use smaller glasses than your typical wine glass. Also, smaller pours. It blows my mind a standard pour in a restaurant (here in Europe) is 200 mL. If a menu offers 100 mL pours due to cost or scarcity (or both) I will get that glass most often. It's good to take nights off, and we'll have sparkling water, iced tea, juice, etc. Wine is fantastic but I *always* want to think of it as a treat, a reward.

Bob Kot

#46 Post by Bob Kot » June 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

Never an easy an topic as there is an abundance of quality wine, spirits and beer in today’s marketplace.

I’ve traditionally used the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) guidelines from a health management perspective.

For women, low-risk drinking is defined as no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week.

For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week.

Yes, it’s OK to cheat once in a while as long as you balance your intake with a goal of moderation.

Cheers!

Peter Papay

#47 Post by Peter Papay » August 8th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Jerome Rome wrote:I use smaller glasses than your typical wine glass. Also, smaller pours. It blows my mind a standard pour in a restaurant (here in Europe) is 200 mL. If a menu offers 100 mL pours due to cost or scarcity (or both) I will get that glass most often. It's good to take nights off, and we'll have sparkling water, iced tea, juice, etc. Wine is fantastic but I *always* want to think of it as a treat, a reward.
Smaller pours in restaurant would be certainly welcome since you could have different wines for different courses without risking over consumption.

We typically don't have wine during the week unless we socialize or celebrate a special occasion. I tried the reward and treat option which didn't work for me. I just found too many reasons why I should get a reward. [snort.gif]

Peter Papay

#48 Post by Peter Papay » August 8th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Bob Kot wrote:Never an easy an topic as there is an abundance of quality wine, spirits and beer in today’s marketplace.

I’ve traditionally used the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) guidelines from a health management perspective.

For women, low-risk drinking is defined as no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week.

For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week.

Yes, it’s OK to cheat once in a while as long as you balance your intake with a goal of moderation.

Cheers!
This are tough measurements to keep in line with!

The Guidelines of the Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction recommend no more than two drinks a day, 10 per week for women, and three drinks a day, 15 per week for men, with an extra drink allowed on special occasions. ​
http://www.ccdus.ca/Eng/topics/alcohol/ ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Peter Papay on August 9th, 2018, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Y » August 8th, 2018, 7:34 pm

15 drinks.. is a 5oz pour 1 drink? as is a pint of beer?

15 seems like a lot for a week..
Y.e.

Peter Papay

#50 Post by Peter Papay » August 9th, 2018, 4:08 am

Mark Y wrote:15 drinks.. is a 5oz pour 1 drink? as is a pint of beer?

15 seems like a lot for a week..
All relative.

Since a bottle of wine equals to just slightly above 5 1/4 standard drinks we are talking of less then three bottles per week. So if you share a bottle of wine with your partner every day with your meal you are already exceeding those guidelines.

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”