2000 Domaine du Pégaü "Cuvée Réservée" Châteauneuf-du-Pape

This was a classic example of CdP and drinking well. The initial impression on the nose was of more alcohol than the listed 13.5% and that impression was matched on the palate. I would have guessed tasting it at an actual alcohol level of over 14%. However, everything else going on is much more favorable.

As the wine and nose opened it offered up most enjoyable aromas of garrigue and lavender with a touch of barnyard, earth and leather; however, I would not say it showed any significant degree of brett, at most a grace note.

On the palate, good grip in the tannins remained although significantly on their way towards full resolution, indeterminate but tasteful Grenache-y red-black fruit and a clean medium-length finish.

I would say it’s pretty close to peak and should continue to drink quite well over the next two to three years. I’m not sure I have any reason to wait longer for more advanced aging characteristics to show.

I paid $40 around release time ('03 maybe as it was a Squires board darling at the time) and it was well worth every penny. With that being said the pleasure was much more on an intellectual and objective level and it didn’t quite provide the emotional connection I was hoping for - kind of strange for a very high quality wine. For CdP lovers it will unquestionably be a treat.

Oops. I meant to put this in Wine Talk. Not sure how it ended up here.