Rec. for NYC French restaurant

My wife and I will be in Manhattan for a few days in April and looking for a good French cuisine restaurant in the midtown-uptown area- not too ultra pricey/fancy.
All suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.

Don

La Mangeoire on 2nd and low 50s is a board favorite.

Second that

La Mangeoire and you can BYO.

Nougatine at Columbus Circle has excellent food (even for NY), and their lunch prix fix is affordable and v good (their brunch is forgettable). It’s only nominally french however, more like new american.

It’s so close to my work, but I have not been yet, but heard good things.

http://vauclusenyc.com/

La Grenouille if you want high end and expensive. Benoit makes a good cassoulet. And La Mangeoire for good comfort food.

Good to see those Hooked on Phonics lessons paying off! neener

La Grenouille is very expensive and the food and service have really suffered in the last few years.

Cafe Boulud is a good option. Excellent food, good service, nice wine list.

Vaucluse would be my choice.

Nougatine is good value.

I have heard only good things about Racines, but will try it in a few weeks. One of the owners is a partner in Chamber Street Wines.

Racines is excellent, with a great wine list, but it’s all the way downtown on Chambers Street. The OP requested something uptown.

oops, Michel, you are quite right. Wasn’t paying attention to the uptown part. I liked RougeTomate on 60th … great wine list and friendly sommelier, but it closed, and is moving to Chelsea, soon.

I have had very good meals at Eli’s on 3rd, and the wine list is full of below-average-markup treasures, many from Eli’s personal cellar.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Don

If you’re just looking for steak-frites, try Le Relais de Venise L’Entrecote New York…

Second Vaucluse. Enjoyed a nice dinner and bottle of Jolie Laide Trousseau Gris there last winter

Six of us just had a very nice wine dinner at Vaucluse a couple weeks ago. Wine service was terrific and food was excellent.