Need some cheap custom racking

Have an open floor space on my garage and I need to get bottles out of shippers and into racking, maximize storage and get a whiff organized. Nobody will see this and display not a consideration, we are talking cheap and useful. WRA and their 10% off sales don’t interest me for this job.

Thanks

Similar situation. Decided to go with heavy duty adjustable metal shelving and wooden cases. Maximizes space and stays pretty organized.

Jason has about the cheapest, quickest, easiest idea. Minimal labor. The only issue is availability of wood boxes. If worse comes to worse, use the strongest cardboard ones you can get. If you’ve been in the back room of the shop, you saw 140 cases of wine stored that way and the rest in wood boxes or stacked in original, unopened cardboard cases.
storeroom.jpg
Notice in the middle there is the metal shelving unit Jason is talking about. There is actually two of them holding 16 cases each.

Appreciate that. Can’t imagine even the strongest cardboard surviving so close to the ocean, a source for wooden boxes to maximize storage?

Local wine shop. Craigslist

None but thank you.

PVC drain pipe I have used these before, you can easily cut size to fit two bottles each. Not pretty but they work.

How cheap?

This is what we use in our basement / cellar stacked 12 rows high (shipped in 6 boxes):

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/18-bottle-stackable-wine-rack-kit/1041218457

Probably a little more than you want to spend though once you buy them in quantity.

Got a couple of these around the house too:

Take a look at what Container Store has:

Maybe somebody else sells something you like cheaper.

Take a look at IKEA. Think,it’s called Ivar. It’s what I have in my MI cave and had in France. There’s one in Portland.

Glenn,

Check this out:

you’d be local and sustainable…

Love the distinctive Biggio-Hamina in the product shot!

Michael

+1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-112-bottle-Old-World-Rustic-wood-wine-rack-champagne-shelves-available-/271387263434?hash=item3f2ff101ca:m:mbOSvv7GOjlwMkJaRv99A3Q

This is what I use. They work great for a non-show cellar. I’ve been very happy and the price is good.

Glenn, please explain the ocean issue… Isn’t this just a humidity discussion?

If you store in cardboard here it gets wet, leads to TCA stink in garage.

Then there is no other option than to only buy wine in wooden boxes… he he

Wood is no less susceptible to TCA, but holds up better than cardboard.